News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Stuck 2004 update

Posted on sigrossman Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        sigrossman
        AskWoody Plus

I was a longtime subscriber to Windows Secrets, which merged with AskWoody in April 2019. This is my first post here. My laptop is a 4-year old Lenovo IdeaPad 500-151SK running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

I’ve made three attempts to complete the 2004 update.  The first two were from the settings update page.  I set the update to start about 10 pm and checked at about 9 am. The update locked up at 84% both times.  The third time, I used the WindowsUpdate program. I also disabled my antivirus software at the suggestion of another forum.  Malwarebytes Premium has four operating components including ransomware and browser.  I only disabled the antivirus one.  This time the update went faster. I was up to 85% when I went to sleep. At 9 am it was at 99%.  I let it run for another hour but it didn’t complete. Darn!

Any suggestions?

• #2287780 Reply
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

Even though it is not listed as a known issue with the 2004 release, for preview releases to the insiders have had a known issue

“We’re looking into reports of the update process hanging for extended periods of time when attempting to install a new build.”

since well before the 2004 release and in every insider build since the release. So, you may be running into that problem. I think the only solution is to let it go for a very long time to see if it completes.

--Joe

• #2287802 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

You could not update to 2004. Your machine will continue to operate and you could spend a small amount of time backing up the machine.

cheers, Paul

• #2288098 Reply
        katie
        AskWoody Lounger

I am sure this is a software problem but do not have any idea.

I have two o/s on one computer.

The basic one has little software but updates to the 2004.

The other has many software programs and does not update.

My Laptop has little software but updates to 2004.

Best of Luck.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Stuck 2004 update

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.