News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Stuck updates

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Stuck updates

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Author
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

I have a bunch of updates that have been sitting there for a few months now.   They don’t get installed [and, indeed, the drivers and such shouldn’t] and don’t go away.  month after month. They’re not hidden and they’re not causing any trouble, I just wonder if having “stuck” updates is normal

updates

Attachments:
        krism
        AskWoody Plus

Those are likely “optional” updates and will only be installed if you check them and say OK.

I have a bunch of those. My laptop runs fine without them – at least partially because win10 include everything that’s necessary.

if you must install them, please use something like Macrium free to take an image of all the partitions on your drive before you do it, and also make a Macrium recovery usb stick (I use Rufus to burn it), FIRST.

Then and only then, try them out. But if your computer is running fine I would just ignore them.

- ThinkPad T530-2394-3J8, i5-3380M 2.9GHz, UEFI/GPT: (Win10 20H2 Pro x64), 8GB(15GB/s), Sammy 500GB SSD. -

berniec
        AskWoody Plus

Those are likely “optional” updates and will only be installed if you check them and say OK.

I have a bunch of those. My laptop runs fine without them – at least partially because win10 include everything that’s necessary.

if you must install them, please use something like Macrium free to take an image of all the partitions on your drive before you do it, and also make a Macrium recovery usb stick (I use Rufus to burn it), FIRST.

Then and only then, try them out. But if your computer is running fine I would just ignore them.

Ah but that’s what’s odd.  I cannot install them even if I wanted to.  The little snip from wushowhide was the *unhidden* updates.   So they should be ready to go but windows update doesn’t see them.   I would never install those drivers frrom MS and the Silverlight has been floating there for months.

I just ignore them, but I think it is odd/funny that they’re apparently stuck there

krism
        AskWoody Plus

are you using windows update or wuMgr?

- ThinkPad T530-2394-3J8, i5-3380M 2.9GHz, UEFI/GPT: (Win10 20H2 Pro x64), 8GB(15GB/s), Sammy 500GB SSD. -

berniec
        AskWoody Plus

are you using windows update or wuMgr?

Windows update.  I don’t even know what wuMgr [but I can guess from its name].  I just tried to winkey-R “wumgr’ and  there doesn’t seem to be one

krism
        AskWoody Plus

okay, windows manager. And you can’t unhide them? Odd.

berniec
        AskWoody Plus

I expect that I could hide them, but I’ve left them “visible” on the hope that with one windows-update or another they’d go away.  If I hide them they’ll never disappear.

krism
        AskWoody Plus

can you show me what windows update optional looks like?

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Plus

Hi berniec,

Here is what I suggest…

Silverlight is dead. As in totally dead. Silverlight was Microsoft’s attempt to counter Adobe’s Flash, which is also dead. Both technologies have been replaced by HTML5.

I seriously doubt that you have ever used any important websites which actually used Silverlight. I recommend uninstalling Silverlight and then hiding this update and any future Silverlight updates which might show up. Silverlight is a perfect example of Microsoft trying to repeatedly beat a dead horse with a stick in order to revive a dead horse. Is far as I am aware, Microsoft stopped updating Silverlight after January 2019.

The Dell firmware update — get that for your computer straight from Dell’s website. After installing the firmware update from Dell’s website, this update via Microsoft should disappear.

The Samsung updates — get Windows software for your Samsung phone from Samsung’s website and install them (similar to Dell). This should make these Samsung related Windows updates disappear. Alternatively, uninstall all software for your Samsung phone in order to get these updates to disappear, and then install (if you want to and from Samsung’s website) the latest Windows software and drivers for your Samsung phone.

The above are my suggestions.

Best regards,

–GTP

berniec
          AskWoody Plus

The updates I mentioned are all not-hidden and never actually install nor do they go away. I agree on all points — my Dell updates come only from  Dell and I understood that silverlight is dead.

I checked apps and windows features and there’s no silverlight, so I think I removed it long ago.  But the update is stuck.

I guess I’ll just ignore them [and i can always hide them if/when I’m tired of seeing them :o)]

berniec
        AskWoody Plus

can you show me what windows update optional looks like?

What is that ?   I can show you a screen shot of the Windows update screen.  There’s nothing particularly fancy about it.

berniec
        AskWoody Plus

I suggest hiding these updates.

OK.. done.   I know they’ll still be there but out of sight, out of mind  :o)

Viewing 10 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Stuck updates

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.