News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Studio Ghibli classic anime movies are coming to Netflix, permanently.

Posted on OscarCP Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Outside the box Fun Stuff Studio Ghibli classic anime movies are coming to Netflix, permanently.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  OscarCP 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

To all loungers that are also fellow Ghibli fans: 21 of the classic movies of Myazaki, Takahata and their fellow anime artists are now going to be available on line from Netflix, who just bought the rights to the whole lot:

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-51178158

Although I have all the movies on DVD, streaming them is more practical and helps prolong the limited life of my optical drives, both internal and external ones.

For those just beginning to be acquainted some of the greatest animated films ever made, this is an opportunity to get  to watch the complete set, on demand, on their TVs and, or PC monitors, including large external ones.

It remains to be seen, because of its shocking content, if the set includes one of the most powerful war movies ever made, Takahata’s “The Grave of the Fireflies”, that it is said to be (not without reason) a great movie that can be seen only once. I do bear witness to that. But, to those not familiar with the topic, most of the films are fantasies that can be classified as “for the whole family”. And some, particularly Takahata’s admirable poem in pictures: “The Legend of Princess Kaguya”, based on the old Japanese fairytale “The Story of the Cane-Cutter Daughter”), are a must to anyone who loves to watch great works of art in their own time and in the privacy of their own homes, for an affordable price.

For those unfamiliar with the works that came out of Ghibli during the many years of its existence, since the mid-eighties to a couple of years back, it might  help to get some idea of what they might be like, to learn that this work has been praised highly by prominent movie critics, in particular the late  Roger Egbert and, ever since the “Best Animated Film” category was introduced,  the Ghibli movies were regularly nominated for the Academy Award and one of them, “Spirited Away”, or “Chirico’s Journey” in a literal  translation of the Japanese name) won it. On a personal note, I am partial to “Kiki”, “Totoro” and, above all, “Mononoke” and “Kaguya”, both some of the best and greatest animated movies (or of any movies, whether animated or live action, for that matter) I have ever seen.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/princess-mononoke-1999

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• #2088198 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Apple’s iTunes still sells all Studio Ghibli classic anime movies for $19.90 each or $99.99 for 6 pack.

“The Grave of the Fireflies” is missing.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/1485284072#see-all/recent-movies

• #2088232 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the useful tip, Alex5723. And a tip that, in fact, it is useful in more than one way: re-reading what I wrote yesterday, when I started this thread, I just noticed that I forgot to add there (I thought I had, but, obviously, had not) that Netflix has bought the rights for world-wide distribution, except everywhere someone else does have those rights already. In particular: Canada, the USA and Japan. However, I am happy knowing that, in most of the world (at least in those countries where Netflix operates), people might now be able to watch and enjoy at home these remarkable movies. And I believe that quite a few loungers and anonymous visitors of AskWoody live in some of those countries, so for those of them that subscribe to Netflix, the movies are now available online and at no extra charge. I should add that that there is one Miyazaki movie now on Netflix: “The Castle of Cagliostro”, a comedy he co-wrote and directed before founding Studio Ghibli with Takahata and Suzuki and for which Netflix has acquired the distribution rights from the previous owner.

According to  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Ghibli

On October 17, 2019, it was announced that HBO Max had acquired exclusive streaming rights to Studio Ghibli’s catalogue in the United States as part of a deal with GKIDS. With the exception of “Grave of the Fireflies”, the Studio Ghibli films were made available for digital purchases on most major services in the United States and Canada on December 17, 2019. Unlike most of the other films which were published by “Tokuma Shoten”, “Grave” was published and owned by “Shinchosha”, which also had published the short story it was based on, and such fell into different rights holdings.”Netflix” acquired the exclusive streaming rights to Studio Ghibli’s catalogue in all regions except for the United States, Canada and Japan, as part of a deal with Ghibli’s international distributor “Wild Bunch”. No streaming rights deals have been announced to date for either Japan or Canada. Canadian distribution is also handled by GKIDS, however HBO Max will initially be available only in the U.S., and neither HBO Max nor its Canadian partner “Crave (streaming service)” has made any announcement about Canadian streaming rights to Ghibli films.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2088264 Reply

wavy
      AskWoody Plus

Another wow! An anime fan who doesn’t burn Torrents to DVD. 👏

Enjoy! I will check some of those out when I run out of something to watch on Netflix, which sems to be mostly 1 season series ( I believe it was Ascaris pointed out a while ago) ..

Netflix has bought the rights for world-wide distribution, except everywhere someone else does have those rights already. In particular: Canada, the USA and Japan. However,

Edit And so a cause for an external VPN …

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
      • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  wavy.
      • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  wavy.
      • #2088280 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Wavy: “Another wow! An anime fan who doesn’t burn Torrents to DVD.

I tried that, once or twice, but every time I tried,  it was taking FOR EVER, so I gave up, also every time. Besides, while waiting and waiting, I was also being afflicted with a serious case of bad conscience. After all, I could then and still can well afford to buy the DVDs directly. So I did and still do. And there you have it.

As to using VPN to siphon content from other, foreign, latitudes and longitudes, hmmm…

Boys and girls: don’t you ever listen to wavy!

• #2088310 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

As to wavy’s placing me in the class of “anime fan”: I am not a fan of anime, most of which I consider to be sub-par, both as animation and as story-telling. I presume to be an admirer of great cinematography, and that is what Studio Ghibli has consistently produced over well over thirty years — and may do, once more, if Miyazaki’s nth-to-the-power-of-nth “coming temporarily out of retirement to make another movie” once more materializes in a new movie.

And, for the record, I am and admirer of great animation, regardless of genre, of which I believe we are living in a golden age, largely thanks to the advances in the use of computers to do more easily, cheaply and quickly, to a considerable extent, the work that used to be done entirely by hand, decades ago. For example, the animated movies created at Pixar and Disney for the last quarter of a century, and many marvelous European co-productions, such as “April et le monde trunqué”, released in the USA as “April and the Extraordinary World”, or the work of the Canadian Sylvain Chomet (“The Triplets of Belleville”, “The Illusionist”, etc.) And such impressive indie works as “Persepolis.”

Although, in my opinion, some of the truly most amazing work is still being done in the hardest and slowest possible way: still-frame animation using puppets, be they tiny plastic dolls with movable parts, or deformable figurines made of putty, positioned in a tiny scene, to be filmed shot by shot, given at each one a slightly different posture, to create, when watched at the usual film speed, as being in motion. An art form at which excel both the creative people working at the studios of Birmingham-based Aardman, in the UK (of Wallace and Gromit, Chicken Run, Early Man, etc., etc. fame) and Leika in the USA (of Coraline, BoxTrolls, Kubo and the Two Strings and Missing Link, etc. renown).

• #2110948 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

For those unfamiliar with the life-work of Miyazaki, Takahata, the creators and directors, of the always-trying-very-hard-to-get-funding, Suzuki, their producer, and of the rest of their gifted and innovative colleagues at Studio Ghibli, here is an article from the BBC that is a guide to their movies, with a brief but informative description of every one produced under their guidance, including an early pre-Ghibli days Miyazaki film:

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20200123-studio-ghibli-an-indispensable-guide

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Studio Ghibli classic anime movies are coming to Netflix, permanently.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.