News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Suddenly it dies

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Questions: Win10 » Suddenly it dies

Author
    Topic

That’s to say it’s a Win 10 HP Specter that dies. I bought this about 18 months ago, a replacement for my wife’s aging Win 7 Assus. I felt it was better for her to get used to Win 10 OS while the Assus was still functioning; big mistake, she looked at it then said I don’t want it, and she hasn’t looked at it since. I couldn’t return it to HP because I’d asked for a 256GB drive rather than the “standard”128GB drive, that made it a “custom order”. So it has sat on a shelf and only been booted up maybe once a month to check for updates. Yesterday was a boot-up day.

Using a Logitech Bluetooth mouse I checked for updates. I checked my e-mail, and the bbc.com, all was well. After 15 minutes or so the mouse stopped responding, but the touch-pad was working normally. Puzzling, but not a big deal, could have been battery problem.

5 minutes later the touch-pad stopped responding. I tried CTRL ALT DEL; didn’t work. Then the power button: nothing. It used to be that you could pull the power and the battery, not any more, can’t get at the battery. New feature! So the choice was to pull the power and wait for the battery to die (several hours), or simply keep the power button pressed while praying fervently. After about 2 minutes my prayer was answered, it shut down. Re-booted and I was back at the log-in screen. No warning about the forced shut-down, no offer to boot into Safe Mode; has that been deleted in Win 10?

Today I gave the Specter another outing. All was well for about an hour, then the mouse stopped working, and everything else too, including the touchpad. After 2 minutes on the power button I fixed a weight on it to hold it down. Maybe another 2 minutes ticked away, then shut-down. This time when I re-booted I got a warning, “Windows is trying to repair itself” (or words to that effect). After a couple more minutes it shut down and, then re-booted again with no indication that there had been a problem. Now, 6 hours later, everything is still working normally, but for how long???

I feel sure that there must be a log file that would show what happened in what sequence, not that I would be able to decipher it. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Rhino

Viewing 6 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

I would try a dongle Logitech mouse like the m325 or m330.   That is not to say that there aren’t much more serious issues, but I have found them much more reliable than bluetooth.

For a simple check of what may have crashed, try Control Panel, Security & Maintenance, Maintenance, View reliability history, then click on yesterday’s date column to view any Critical events.

Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 build 19044.1503 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

I feel sure that there must be a log file that would show what happened in what sequence

Unfortunately, no. Microsoft has changed internal reporting to .EVTX files that need to be ‘converted’ to create human-readable logs in TXT or CSV form. It’s no longer a case of opening a simple log file in, say, Notepad.

Windows’ built-in Reliability History is very useful but only shows results on a daily basis. As a result it can be difficult to easily spot patterns – for example, a regularly occurring issue and whether such patterns coincide with, e.g. Windows Update or a newly installed driver.

PowerShell can be used to interrogate and filter the Reliability History reports (see this Scripting Guy blog) but I prefer what for me is a far simpler approach.

I use Trevor Jones’ free Reliability Viewer as it encapsulates Windows’ built-in Reliability History results in a PowerShell-driven gridview GUI without having to know anything about PowerShell and allows comprehensive filtering. (It can also be used with remote devices as well so very useful, particularly in a business environment.)

You can read about the Reliability Viewer here and download the MSI installer from here. (Don’t download just the executable file… it runs but doesn’t appear as it should… so use the 3.46 MB MSI installer version instead.)

Run the MSI installer and let the program launch automatically.

When the GUI opens, just click on the Get Reliability Records button to populate the gridview below.

rel_history_viewer

Click on any of the results in the grid and more info appears in the Message pane below.

The View Summary button is useful to get a count of all error, hangs and MSI installer events. (Click on the summary to dismiss the dialog.)

Hope this helps…

1 user thanked author for this post.

Thanks very much for the replies guys. I think the mouse is innocent, the problem recurred when it wasn’t in use.

And thank you Rick for the Reliability Records  info. Haven’t tackled it yet. At this time I’m wondering how well this laptop would fly when launched from a very high place, the Golden Gates Bridge comes to mind.

I suppose there’s no way to install Win 7 is there? Just dreaming!

Rhino

Rhino,

Have you considered already (and then discarded for some reason) the possibility that you might have got a PC that is a lemon and, being still under warranty (I suppose) you might be better off, in the end, by taking it to some HP authorized computers repair shop and letting the (one would hope) experts there figure this one out?

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Big Sur 11.6 & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
        Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
        Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome; also Intego AV and Malwarebytes for the Mac.

At this time I’m wondering how well this laptop would fly when launched from a very high place, the Golden Gates Bridge comes to mind.

Try not to hit any kayakers
        I would say a warranty return is better than always wondering if is gonna fail again. And I am fix it yourself guy but when you need the tool better safe than sorry.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Interesting that this quote was attributed to the wrong poster

Rick Corbett wrote:

At this time I’m wondering how well this laptop would fly when launched from a very high place, the Golden Gates Bridge comes to mind.

Try not to hit any kayakers
          I would say a warranty return is better than always wondering if is gonna fail again. And I am fix it yourself guy but when you need the tool better safe than sorry.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

I’m a bit confused a little by https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/suddenly-it-dies/#post-2418000 – I take it you’re talking of purely getting the data into another form to analyse it? You can get the logs out of event viewer by right clicking the hive and selecting “save all events as” and dropping the file types list – or maybe that’s broken? That said the result is likely pretty verbose.

Likewise I have had no problem in the past dragging the event logs (system and application) from the  \Windows\System32\winevt\Logs folder to a USB in the command prompt of recovery options of install media, and opening them into event viewer on another machine (no fiddling with file associations etc, they just open.. you have to wait, they turn up at the bottom of the tree at the left as imported log..). It even worked Windows 7 / 8 logs opening in Windows 10.

The only fun is remembering to right click and delete the imported log from the left hand view when done, as they persist in the view even if the file is removed, so if you view imported logs routinely, you can end up with several pinned.

That said the say OS I actually needed to do that with was 1903, things change..

“could be the battery”? Maybe not, but it could be power management as it’s happening relatively repeatably. I’d be tempted to check the firmware is up to date and make sure all the drivers are aligned with those offered on the manufacturer site or (hopefully) newer (as some could predate changes to driver signing, just).

The effort needed to turn it off indicates a pretty hardware problem though so I’d run some diagnostics for the drive at length simply as that is at fault, their special build wasn’t that special and you could use that as a lever – the drive SMART likely includes its operating hours.

I’m a bit confused a little by https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/suddenly-it-dies/#post-2418000 – I take it you’re talking of purely getting the data into another form to analyse it? You can get the logs out of event viewer by right clicking the hive and selecting “save all events as” and dropping the file types list – or maybe that’s broken? That said the result is likely pretty verbose.

As you mentioned, Event Viewer is quite verbose by default. The OP appeared to be hoping for a pre-formed logfile of sequential events to show him what happened and in what order. IMO Event Viewer is not intuitive and also quite ‘clunky’ for new users.

Instead, I would normally use Nir Sofer’s FullEventLogView to quickly filter on ‘Critical’, ‘Error’ and ‘Warning’ events for a particular timeframe. However, even this takes a little time to set up the filtering correctly under ‘Advanced Options’. As a result I thought I would post about an alternative that does a similar job without any setting up at all.

Viewing 6 reply threads
    Reply To: Suddenly it dies

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.