• Suddenly page zooms in, content explodes, with three different browsers.

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Questions: Browsers and desktop software » Questions: Browsers and desktop software – other » Suddenly page zooms in, content explodes, with three different browsers.

Author
    Topic

I have been having this very inconvenient and, to me, inexplicable problem, at least once every day, for the last few months: when I am looking at a Webpage (which one does not mater) with any of my three browsers, the page suddenly zooms in spontaneously, to the point I cannot see all the page at once.

The solution I’ve found is to turn the browser off, then on again and connect with the same site, again.

Have others had this unexpected and annoying problem?

This problem could be caused by many different things I can think of, that I probably cannot do a thing about, but maybe someone here might have a more precise idea of what may be causing it and perhaps also of how to prevent it from happening?

It happens when using Waterfox (Mozilla), Chrome and Vivaldi. (I don’t like Safari, Apple’s own browser that comes pre-installed in Macs, so I don’t use it).

Ex-Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7); since mid-2017 using also macOS. Presently on Monterey 12.15 & sometimes running also Linux (Mint).

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
    Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
    macOS Monterey; browsers: Waterfox "Current", Vivaldi and (now and then) Chrome; security apps. Intego AV

• This topic was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by OscarCP.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

I’m not a Mac user so this may not be relevant.

The only off the wall thing that comes to mind is maybe some bizarre hardware issue such as the touch pad (or mouse) zoom control, keyboard zoom key combos, and/or the Mac equivalent of windows magnifier gone wild.

If able, please post the problem cause when you find it.

TechTango,:One of those you mention could be the reason, and I am inclined to suspect the touchpad. As you mentioned, thought, there are several quite different suspects. Of course, if I figure out the cause would report that here.

I still hope someone might come with a solution first. Thank you.

Ex-Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7); since mid-2017 using also macOS. Presently on Monterey 12.15 & sometimes running also Linux (Mint).

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
        Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
        macOS Monterey; browsers: Waterfox "Current", Vivaldi and (now and then) Chrome; security apps. Intego AV

In System Preferences\Trackpad uncheck “Zoom in and out” and Smart zoom.”
      If the problem goes away, recheck one then the other to see which gesture you were accidently doing caused the problem.

PK, I found out yesterday night that the “smart zoom” was on, so I turned it off. And have not had that problem since.

Still too early to be sure this has really solved the problem, because it has been happening only now and then. Both understandingly inconvenient and annoying when it happens.

So I hope this has solved it. I’ll post a comment to confirm that here, when enough days have gone by with this not happening again. Or if it happens again.

Thanks.

It has been more than a week after following PK’s advice, and now I can report that Web pages sudden and annoying zooming in, that happened often and with all of my three browsers, has not happened again.

So it looks like the problem might have been solved by turning off the “smart zoom” in the settings of my Mac laptop’s trackpad. Thanks, PK!

The keypad zoom feature with this setting on is activated, normally, with two successive taps. I was not tapping twice, but probably tapping just once and then accidentally brushing the pad very slightly with my hand caused this to happen. This trackpad has been always irritatingly hypersensitive to such accidental brushes, even very light ones. It used to make the cursor jump to the wrong place in the text while typing, until I set the tapping to its “firmest” setting, making the pad considerably less sensitive. But, clearly, that was not enough.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: Suddenly page zooms in, content explodes, with three different browsers.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: