News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Suggestion: Performance-related

Home Forums AskWoody Central Suggestions about improving the Lounge Suggestion: Performance-related

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Lugh 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

owdrtn
      AskWoody Lounger

The Forum is getting seriously slow to browse.
      I would suggest performing some performance audit and adjustments.
      I’ve just scanned the domain against some free code audit tool and there are indeed plenty of room for improvement..

Also, in 1900, monitors used to be 4:3 .. This forum’s layout would fit better on such 4:3 monitor than any of our current wide ones we all own.. So just some basic design adjustment could already relieve much of the current burden of navigating the forums.

• #920887 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

The slowness is due to importing/merging over 1,000,000 replies from the now closed Windows Secrets Lounge.
      Sorry for the inconvenience, but preserving the data from WSL is a big priority at the present. It should be over in a few days. Be patient.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #921418 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

And note that Surface devices run at 4:3.

That said, we need to widen the main screen – and also make it easier to run on phones. It’ll be quite a challenge.

• #922079 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

And note that Surface devices run at 4:3.

Surface devices are 16:9 or 3:2.

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1070149 Reply

Charlie
      AskWoody Plus

I use a standard 17″, 4:3 computer monitor on my main Win 7 computer and I love it.  I don’t have to do all that extra scrolling that I do when I use my Linux laptop with a widescreen.  I didn’t have a choice with the laptop.

By the way, I purchased the Dell 17″ flatscreen monitor in 2009.  I don’t think they had computer monitors in 1900.

Win 7 Home Premium, x64, Intel i3-2120 3.3GHz, Groups B & L

• #1106681 Reply

NightOwl
        AskWoody Plus

@ Charlie

By the way, I purchased the Dell 17″ flatscreen monitor in 2009. I don’t think they had computer monitors in 1900.

Also, in 1900, monitors used to be 4:3 ..

Not sure who’s being *serious* here, but I think @ owdrtn’s comment might have been a *satirical* comment in a joke form.

NightOwl

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are 😉 !

• #1091443 Reply

mngerhold
      AskWoody Lounger

The slowness is due to importing/merging over 1,000,000 replies from the now closed Windows Secrets Lounge. 

As a WSL user, I was aware of the closure and its intended ‘port’ to AskWoody, and visited AW on many occasions before, and during, the transfer.  I have found it to be woefully slow every time, pages taking from 10-40 seconds to load, only to find little that is new.  I have never come across an old WSL post – where might these be found?

Sorry to be a grouch, but WSL was so fast that speed was never an issue.  I don’t understand the choice of categories in the forums: who cares which vn of W10 a question is about? – especially if it means visiting each one in turn in case there is something new – and there usually isn’t, eg v1803, only two posts in the last 2 weeks?  And it takes 30s to establish that.

I will return in a while, but it’s effectively unusable at present.  Martin

• #1094467 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

The merger has been going on since around 4/11 and the slowness is associated with the addition of all the data from WSL – still going on and will be probably for at least another week.

Check the “Welcome” button in the top menubar (second from left). There is a map to show you where the WSL info is landing. BUT, it’s not all here yet….

• #1095496 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Performance here is getting slammed from several directions. Importing 1,000,000 or so posts is a mammoth task. The indexing spiders from Google and Bing are taking their toll. And we’re having internal slowdowns from an as-yet-unidentified source. Our developers are trying to narrow it down.

Windows Secrets ran on vBulletin, and it was fast – when it was working. The AskWoody platform is very stable — still not 100%, but decent. I’ll be trying to speed things up here — both with the hardware and with the interface — but it’s going to take awhile.

If you have a general Windows question, post it in the forum named Windows. We have 32,197 questions in the Windows forum at this moment. If you have a question about Windows 10, post it in the Questions: Win10 forum. (Similarly, Windows 8.1, 7, Vista, XP, and earlier – which all have their own forums.) If you have a question about a specific version of Win10, we’ve broken things out for those, too.

You have three questions brought over from WSL so far – one each from 2014, 2015 and 2016.

After the merge is over, I’ll be re-arranging the forums, and would appreciate your input! I’ll post a call for opinions on the main page.

• #1106449 Reply

NightOwl
      AskWoody Plus

PKCano

The merger has been going on since around 4/11 and the slowness is associated with the addition of all the data from WSL – still going on and will be probably for at least another week.

Sure sounds like the *transfer* is being done directly online. Obviously, I don’t know the details, but …

I have a family member who works for a small company that provides online audio books for the independent book stores, to compete with the big guys like Amazon, etc. When they work with the publishing houses, they do not use *direct* online connections. Instead the audio book company sends the publishing house an empty, large capacity hard drive–the publishing house loads the hard drive with a large number of titles, meaning a lot of files–and the publishing house sends the hard drive back. The audio company then forwards that hard drive to the large data farm (guess who?–Amazon!), and they load it onto the server. The audio book company then takes over to manipulate the data as needed to make everything work on their service.

According to my family member, given the amount of data being transferred, this works out better for them.

NightOwl

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are 😉 !

• #1107992 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Yes, it’s being done directly – dribbled from the Windows Secrets archive into AskWoody.

The problem with a swap-out is the blender blades – stabilizing everything, running an update, then bringing in the “new” version could take a day or more. And we’d be dead in the water in the interim. More than a day, if you allow for the testing we’d have to do in order to feel comfortable with the new version.

• #1122143 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

Just now, my New since Last Visit AW shortcut opened almost instantly, and page 2 of new posts also opened very quickly—both usually take 15-20 seconds.

The individual topics I opened all took the 15-20 seconds to load.

Probably a fluke, but meant losing no time at all on this visit.

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Suggestion: Performance-related

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel