News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • “Surface Hub 2S advances Microsoft’s vision to empower teams in today’s modern workplace”

Home Forums AskWoody blog “Surface Hub 2S advances Microsoft’s vision to empower teams in today’s modern workplace”

This topic contains 21 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  OscarCP 5 months ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

Snoooooore. Hey, if you want a nifty 50-inch TV with an attached Windows PC (albeit Windows with some extra smarts), all it takes is $9,000 for a new
      [See the full post at: “Surface Hub 2S advances Microsoft’s vision to empower teams in today’s modern workplace”]

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #511422 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

Looks like Microsoft paid Tom Warren (The Verge) to fly to Seattle and make a demo video.

• #511575 Reply

wdburt1
      AskWoody Plus

A good example of how M$ is having trouble coming up with innovations that make a difference and have to settle for repackaging old ideas.  Sure, the 4K screen is nice, but not exactly new anymore, and not Microsoft’s innovation.  How very Nineties this is.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #511929 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

Seen a large touchscreen PC with battery portability before?

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #511583 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

Ask a team manager in the targeted demographic what they hate about it.

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #511680 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Good point.

• #513251 Reply

anonymous

This all-in-one looks easy to break, they might hate replacing it again with these price tags.

• #511629 Reply

Microfix
      Da Boss

The Steelcase push-around cart is an extra $1,450

Is that also a WiFi antenae with a satellite dish as a tray..?
      The TV probably changes channels of it’s own accord..think I’ll pass

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

• #511898 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Let’s see:

Four side by side (like the video) for my office at $9000-$12000 each.
      Four carts to roll them around at $1500 each.
      Do they charge extra for that “pen” and T-square they were using to draw?

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa! ROTHLM*O!

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #512623 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

Pen is included. Ruler is software (also included).

• #514105 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

You can get a 50 inch 4k smart TV for $350 so I don’t see the $9000 in this Windows 10 with such a poor hardware (i5, 620 gpu, 128gb ssd..) that crashes to BSOD or freezes after every monthly Windows update.

• #514203 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

Touch screen and mobile with battery power?

• #514727 Reply

Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

Touch screen and a battery pack for $8650 ?

• #514894 Reply

b
            AskWoody Plus

And a camera. And a pen.

Most Windows 10 computers don’t crash or freeze after monthly updates, and none do that after every one.

• #520346 Reply

warrenrumak
        AskWoody Plus

This is a high-end teleconferencing system, not something you watch movies on at home.

Only cheap companies that don’t value giving their employees good tools would buy a $350 4K TV and consider the job done.

Not saying $9,000 is the right price either…. but Microsoft knows people will lap it up at that price.  The old Surface Hub was pretty much impossible to get because there was a long waiting list.

• #515994 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

I have not kept up with advances in teleconferencing, using Skype for one-on-one conferencing, with occasional show of documents to the other party — without investigating further what else might be there.

Some comments here seem to indicate that what MS is advertising is nothing new.

So, are there teleconference applications/services that allow one to see several parties simultaneously, or their documents, on an ordinary large-screen (27″) monitor, or on a larger screen with a projector, and do not cost more than a few hundred dollars to buy?

I would be particularly interested in multi-platform ones, where some participants might be using Windows, others Linux, others macOS, during the same conference.

I think that the US$ 9000 setup advertised by Microsoft is probably aimed at a demographic of mainly CEO’s of large companies flushed with cash, eager to show they are cool to the latest IT, and unfamiliar, or unmoved, by reports of what Windows 10 can do to its users.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• #517149 Reply

anonymous

Good summary list comparison of web conferencing software on wikipedia – no prices though 🙁

Tony H.
        Bristol, UK

• #518293 Reply

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Tony H., thank you so much! That’s a very long list with so many columns I had to zoom it out several times to finally see it all. There, the LGPL and GPL free software BigBlueButton seems to have everything one can possibly need. Good to know. I think I’ll use those US$ 9K for some personal recreational activities, instead of giving them to MS.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• #516854 Reply

Elly
      AskWoody MVP

And how long before it is declared too old to update further, and all that pretty hardware will face early retirement/end of life? Much sooner than an investment of that amount would warrant, I’d say.

Remember, Windows 7 is ‘ancient’ and Microsoft’s recommendation is to update by buying new hardware.

Hm… I have inherited woodworking tools that my grandfather used, that still work just as they were designed to do, many decades later. Maybe my perspective is warped, valuing things that are not disposable and replaceable for manufacturer’s profit, by design?

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

• #518490 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

WG, I looked this up and, according to Apple, it is only for iPhones. I don’t even have a smart phone, just a new, but retro, Nokia-look-alike little clamshell given to me free-of-charge by wonderful old AT&T when she and I agreed on a new cell-phone plan, two years ago. So: no luck using a laptop with Group FaceTime, if I read the Apple info. right.

• #522374 Reply

willygirl
      AskWoody Plus

@oscarcp

FaceTime (Group or otherwise) can be used on a Mac, iPhone and iPad etc.  you just need to sign in with your Apple ID/password. When I said laptop I was referring to any Apple device, didn’t go into detail.

Win7 SP1 Home 64-bit

• #526720 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Most illustrious WG,

I just checked again, and to my surprise, I found a different note from Apple here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208176

It says, in essence: WG is right.

So I do stand corrected and beg of you, with your unfailingly most gracious forbearance, to overlook my totally faulty opinion, made in arrant ignorance, while I grovel at your feet and assure you that I will never doubt you again, and take leave of you as your most devoted and faithful servant & etc.

OscarCP

P.S. Or, in other words: Thanks!

Win 7 Pro Sp1, x64   Group B + Group M&L (macOS and Linux)

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: “Surface Hub 2S advances Microsoft’s vision to empower teams in today’s modern workplace”

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel