News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Surface Pro 2017 firmware updates – there’s a pot-full of them, and they’re confusing

Home Forums AskWoody blog Surface Pro 2017 firmware updates – there’s a pot-full of them, and they’re confusing

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        woody
        Da Boss

Barb Bowman has the best explanation I’ve seen: https://twitter.com/barbbowman/status/1116376617532764160 Here’s the link to the Surface Pro (5th Gen)
        [See the full post at: Surface Pro 2017 firmware updates – there’s a pot-full of them, and they’re confusing]

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #351138 Reply
        b
        AskWoody Plus

I’m confused about what’s confusing. (Year-old driver dates apparently)

Odd to call them firmware updates, when 24 of 26 aren’t.

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (chump/pioneer)

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #351290 Reply
        warrenrumak
        AskWoody Plus

I always find it curious that sites put time and effort into covering minor driver updates for the Surface, but don’t do the same for any other manufacturers — or indeed even just report on new driver releases themselves.

Is it because the drivers are delivered via Windows Update instead of Lenovo System Update or whatever?

• #352890 Reply
        anonymous

Is it because the drivers are delivered via Windows Update instead of Lenovo System Update or whatever?

Yes.

News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We’re community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it

It is not written into that subtitle declaration at the top of the page. But the omnipresent feature just below that is a placard displaying an ongoing commentary and advice on the current status of Microsoft patches or updates. It is easy to interpret this is the primary but not sole purpose of the website. When the lounge section sees frequent questions regarding drivers provided by Microsoft instead of the manufacturer of a device; I think it is reasonable to see a blog topic that presents the contrast of Microsoft drivers provided by Microsoft.

The fact that the bulk of such a wide array itself is unusual enough to warrant commentary, and direction for those who may seek it, on its own. If there is a volunteer who would like to contribute ongoing driver commentary for their favored systems and devices, I am sure their contributions would be well received under the appropriate forum heading.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Surface Pro 2017 firmware updates – there’s a pot-full of them, and they’re confusing

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.