Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Surface Pro Type Cover suddenly stops working

Home Forums AskWoody blog Surface Pro Type Cover suddenly stops working

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 4 days, 14 hours ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

I’m seeing more and more reports of borked SP3 and SP4 Type Cover keyboards, likely linked to last month’s firmware/driver updates Post coming in Comp
      [See the full post at: Surface Pro Type Cover suddenly stops working]

• #128770 Reply

jescott418
      AskWoody Lounger

This is why I still like old school notebooks and PC desktops. I have laptops that are 6 plus years old and still working as good as the day I bought them. Yes, a bit slow compared to today’s hardware. But still working as intended. I also find that anything wireless is nowhere near as reliable as anything wired. These Surface keyboards have been fickle from the start but I have experienced similar issues with any detachable keyboard system. What I don’t understand is why Microsoft can’t fix their own d**n products better then they do?

5 users thanked author for this post.
    • #128788 Reply

jescott418
      AskWoody Lounger

Here’s are great USnews article on the Consumer Reports findings. https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2017-08-10/microsoft-surface-devices-fail-on-reliability-consumer-reports  I’ve read other findings that support this in general Microsoft Surface devices are at the bottom of other reliability and support surveys.  Hardly the Apple Macbook killers Microsoft had marketed against in the beginning.

• #128796 Reply

anonymous

Well Microsoft after all has had a very checkered history in the consumer product segment. The company has never displayed an aptitude or willingness to provide consumers with the support and service the segment demands and deserves.

• #128801 Reply

anonymous

Likely, the unreliability of Surface devices is because most of them have been configured by M$ with the “Connected Standby” feature, which is like mobile smartphones, eg able to pre-fetch emails from the Internet even after being switched off.

Computers with “Connected Standby” are prohibited by M$ from having the Legacy BIOS/CSM setting = must use UEFI mode for booting an OS/software.

With the release of Windows 8 in October 2012, Microsoft’s certification requirements now require that computers include firmware that implements the UEFI specification. Furthermore, if the computer supports the “Connected Standby” feature of Windows 8 (which allows devices to have power management comparable to smartphones, with an almost instantaneous return from standby mode), then the firmware is not permitted to contain a Compatibility Support Module (CSM). As such, systems that support Connected Standby are incapable of booting Legacy BIOS operating systems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface

If Secure Boot also cannot be disabled for whatever reason, such computers will likely only be able to install Win 10/8.1 = under M$’s full control.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #128883 Reply

anonymous

Thank goodness I found somebody sensible for this because Microsoft does not care. I have 2 type cover and after an update they do not work anymore. I already did everything and only 2 times I managed to make it work. I do not know what to do.

I need help – I have a SP3 PRO

PS https://youtu.be/FjjMnw4iaUI

• #128892 Reply

anonymous

So we’re back on those Windows 95 days of Plug & Pray.

• #129145 Reply

anonymous

Mine isn’t working either and I am frustrated. I did everything on the help section. It just stopped working. Yesterday it was fine, which is why I am here trying to find an answer

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Surface Pro Type Cover suddenly stops working

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.