News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • svchost.exe in process explorer from sys intel (microsoft

Posted on WSBobFo Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Questions – Maintenance and backups svchost.exe in process explorer from sys intel (microsoft

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by

WSBobFo 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

WSBobFo
      Subscriber

I have a two part question on using process explorer, A client has svchost.exe using 47% of CPU , this is wrong so in process explorer I double click svchost.exe go to the services box and see this svc is running over 7 different services. So my work is to turn off and back on each service one by one until I find the one using all the CPU. Then research that service and correct the problem .
      So here is my question
      1) If I turn off a service will process explorer read and reflect this change immediately ?
      2) Is there any service that must stay be on for windows and process explorer to keep working ?
      I think a lot of people would like know the answer to this question
      I tried to join sys intels forum but couldn’t prove I’m not a robot . Never had that problem before.

Thanks Bob

• #1586489 Trash | Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

That is often an issue with Windows updates. I find leaving it a few hours allows it to settle.
      Rather than re-starting services try Process Monitor from MS Sysinternals to see exactly what is using CPU.
      BTW, what version of Windows?

I tried to join sys intels forum but couldn’t prove I’m not a robot

Maybe it knows you’re Canadian. 🙂

cheers, Paul

• #1586517 Trash | Reply

WSBobFo
        Subscriber

I know windows update causes cpu use in process explorer but I really hoping for an answer to my two questions which should apply to all versions of windows . This computer happens to be win 7 home but the principle troubleshooting method I want to use should probably apply to Vista through 10. As a light tech I,m hoping to use process explorer more effectively . But what you said about process monitor is interesting so it breaks down the svchost and shows the cup use at the sub process? I tried this on svchost exe asked for output on a sub window then clicked on the red cpu usage and seemed to get a service link. If this can work Sysinternals should add svchost cpu breakdown to process explorer as well . Thanks for the tip

Bob

• #1586521 Trash | Reply

bharder
      AskWoody Lounger

SvcHost is a common platform for running Windows services. Therefore it doesn’t do one thing, it does many things. When I inventoried what functions used SvcHost I wound up with 59 items on my list, with no comfort or assurance that I had found them all.

In answer to your questions:

1) If I turn off a service will process explorer read and reflect this change immediately ?

Yes.

2) Is there any service that must stay be on for windows and process explorer to keep working ?

Sure, tons of services are like this. However it’s going to be nearly impossible to produce a list for you, that makes much sense. Imagine the conversation that results:

‘The COMSysApp service is necessary to support COM+ applications. Most people need this.’
      ‘Sure, but I don’t use COM+ applications.’
      ‘Oh, OK then!’

Or how about this:

‘The DNSCache service is needed by many applications. Don’t mess with it.’
      ‘I don’t care if an application breaks because I’m in testing and debug mode. The whole point of my work is to find which applications are dependent upon DNS.’
      ‘Oh, OK then!’

• #1586530 Trash | Reply

WSBobFo
        Subscriber

Ok thanks for your answer , I guess the logic is to turn off the services under the specific Svchost that’s leaking cpu one by one until the leaker is found , if this crashes the system I’ll just reboot and try the others as process explorer separates svchosts under different pids the most services I have to check is 8 in the faulty group I would probably be unlucky if the problem service was to crash the system as its working during testing .

Thanks to all who responded , I ll consider the item solved and closed

Regards Bob

• #1586525 Trash | Reply

WSSudo
      Subscriber

Usually when you “Go to services” it’s the highlighted one that is the biggest user of them all.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: svchost.exe in process explorer from sys intel (microsoft

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.