News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Switching to the new Newsletter page

Home Forums AskWoody blog Switching to the new Newsletter page

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  woody 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

As promised in this week’s AskWoody Plus Newsletter, we’re moving over to the new Newsletter subsystem. If you drop by, you’ll see a list of all of th
      [See the full post at: Switching to the new Newsletter page]

8 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1958180 Reply

LH
      AskWoody Plus

I had a random look at an issue from 2010/10/28 (Issue 263).  In Fred Langa’s article”What to do when a patch won’t install”, at one point he recommends typing the following into a command prompt window:

reg delete HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftSQMClient WindowsDisabledSessions /va /f

Note that there are no backslashes.  This is followed by a figure showing the command prompt after this has been typed in – which does show the backslashes.  I presume that the missing backslashes is some kind of porting problem from the original ??

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1958204 Reply

satrow
        AskWoody MVP

There would likely have been some porting issues, yes.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1958684 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Thanks for the report. I’ve fixed the backslashes.

I expect that we’ll have plenty of problems like this. Let me know and I’ll give them a whack.

• #1958809 Reply

zeddy
      AskWoody_MVP

Please Woody don’t whack them. Nobody needs to die. It’s not a life-or-death situation. Just slash them a bit. But do it kindly.

zeddy

I could murder a drink

• #1958816 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

Er…. as in “whack a mole” … 🙂

I’ll never forget the time I used the phrase “there are many ways to skin a cat” and a lady took me to task for torturing pets.

LH

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Switching to the new Newsletter page

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.