News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • syncing my Outlook account to Win 10 Mail account

Posted on WSBruno Terlingen Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Productivity software by function MS Outlook and email programs syncing my Outlook account to Win 10 Mail account

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        WSBruno Terlingen
        AskWoody Lounger

Dear People, I have been using Microsoft’s Outlook email program for several years, however my subscription is about to run out and I have decided to use Microsoft 10 Mail. I also have a gmail account.

So, I set up Win 10 Mail and synced that with my gmail account, good a gold: anything that comes into my gmail account goes into my Win 10 Mail box also.

I then wanted to sync my Outlook account to Win 10 Mail but it will not “read” the provider’s server by the looks of it. My provider is Australia’s biggest: Telstra. I have set all the parameters with the email in being: imap.telstra.com  on port 993, the email out being smtp.telstra.com on port 465.

I had a Telstra technician take over my PC last night by the overseas out-sourced people did not have a clue.

Surely there are people who have gone from using Outlook to Mail, using the same provider/same email address.

Please assist.

Bruno terlingen.

• #2037717 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

MS have a page with instructions for connecting a new account.

Is that how you have it setup?
        What doesn’t work / sync?

cheers, Paul

• #2038028 Reply
        WSBruno Terlingen
        AskWoody Lounger

G’day Paul. Yes, that is how I have set it up: I have checked all the setting on my Outlook account and used those to set up Win 10 Mail, but no matter what I try (a) the bigpond account does not show up on the LHS of the screen under accounts and (b) on the RHS under manage accounts I get a “Can’t get mail” message.

Please see the attached screen shot Paul.

Attachments:
      • #2038094 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

There is a post in this thread about changing privacy settings that seems to work.
        https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mail-system-error-cant-get-mail-after-windows-10/e9834959-26b1-4c2b-82e3-cdab09997256

cheers, Paul

p.s. you may want to munge the addresses in that screen shot.

• #2038108 Reply
        WSBruno Terlingen
        AskWoody Lounger

Thank you Paul, I take your point re the screenshot. I followed the link above and followed the instructions and now I have lost everything.

Here comes another hour or two to see what can be salvaged.

Bruno Terlingen.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: syncing my Outlook account to Win 10 Mail account

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.