News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Take charge of Windows 10 and Office 365 updating

Posted on Tracey Capen Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Take charge of Windows 10 and Office 365 updating

• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Tracey Capen
        AskWoody MVP

WINDOWS PATCHING By Susan Bradley Recently, I started the process of migrating Windows Server 2008 R2 and Server 2012 R2 to Server 2019. Unfortunately
        [See the full post at: Take charge of Windows 10 and Office 365 updating]

5 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1998951 Reply
        Colorado_Hiker
        AskWoody Plus

I just tried entering the commands to switch my O365 from Monthly to Semi-Annual.  I didn’t get any errors, I did see the “checking for updates”, and “you’ve been updated” messages.  However, after opening O365 apps, it’s still showing “Monthly”.

Any idea what I can check further?  I ran the commands twice with the same result.  🙁

TIA,

Jim

• #1999027 Reply
        Morty
        AskWoody Plus

It finally happened. I’ve been pushed into Win 10.

My office machine went kerflooey and the IT guy gave me a new machine. And now I’m facing all these floating boxes on the start menu.

Sigh…

The thing is, I have no control over updates. I just have to roll with the punches. Meanwhile, is there a third edition of Windows 10 All-In-One For Dummies?

• #1999127 Reply
        mcbsys
        AskWoody Lounger

If you’re managing Office 365 in a domain, you can use Group Policy to switch to Semi-Annual:  Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Microsoft Office 2016 (Machine) > Updates > Update Channel. You’ll need the Office .admx templates.

I also recently discovered on a new install that if you use the offline installer, you can start with semi-annual, which avoids each machine having to “downgrade” to semi-annual. (Another helpful option with the Offiline Installer is the ability to exclude Teams, which may not be useful in some environments.)

Details on both of these options in this post.

• #1999172 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Regarding Office 365, Microsoft just announced at its Ignite 2019 conference that

OneNote 2016 is rising from the grave and getting new features. It will be installed by default in Office 365 and Office 2019.

https://www.neowin.net/news/onenote-2016-is-rising-from-the-grave-and-getting-new-features

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1999188 Reply
        Mick Mickle
        AskWoody Plus

Susan Bradley, you recommended Windows Update Minitool (WUMT) as an alternative path management tool.  Although it works effectively, I’m curious why you would recommend a closed “black box” from a dubious source that hasn’t been updated in several years instead of a newer open-source tool that emulates WUMT with better functionality: Windows Update Manager (WuMgr) https://github.com/DavidXanatos/wumgr/ and https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-update-manager.77736/ .  I assume you are aware of it?

b
        • #1999466 Reply
          abbodi86
          AskWoody_MVP

You can recommend WuMgr (great tool btw) without having to bash WUMT 🙂
          afterall, it was the core principle for WuMgr

and since when a closed source is a reason for untrustworthy?

2 users thanked author for this post.
          • #1999471 Reply
            mn–
            AskWoody Lounger

and since when a closed source is a reason for untrustworthy?

When it’s from an untrusted supplier, as in,

why you would recommend a closed “black box” from a dubious source that

… so, closed source / trusted supplier is just fine. Open source / untrusted supplier can be inspected and verified, which is also fine if done correctly but requires effort… by someone you trust.

Closed source and untrusted supplier is the bad combination.

What I often have problems with is, what makes a trusted or untrusted supplier and in which context… do you merely need to be convinced that they don’t have malicious intent, or do you require a minimum level of competency too? Of course either would require that you’re at least reasonably sure of the supplier’s identity…

• #1999832 Reply
              abbodi86
              AskWoody_MVP

It’s have been in use for more than 4 years, withou any report of anything suspicious

that does not count? 🙂

• #1999472 Reply
            woody
            Da Boss

I just feel uncomfortable recommending a product from an unknown person, backed by people only identified by handles, that controls Windows updating.

Nothing inherently wrong with it. In fact, you could argue that it’s far, far more stable than Windows itself. Still….

• #2000178 Reply
              b
              AskWoody Plus

I just feel uncomfortable recommending a product from an unknown person, backed by people only identified by handles, that controls Windows updating.

It’s odd that it’s now recommended in the newsletter when a few years ago you said about WUMT:

CAUTION: I looked at WUMT several month ago, and decided not to recommend it. The problem isn’t with the tool itself, which appears to work well, and has garnered praise from many corners. The problem is with its pedigree. The developer(s) isn’t/aren’t identified, except by their My Digital Life forum handles @stupid_user and @shewolf. There’s no web site for the product, and no way to contact the developer(s) directly. As best I can tell, apparently, the developers are in Russia, and their primary support contact, Mr. X, is in Mexico.

As I mentioned back in August, I got in touch with @shewolf who was pleasant and knowledgeable, but I didn’t get any details about WUMT’s source – who built it, who maintains it, how to get in touch should things go wrong, other than posting to Mr. X on MDL.

All of those were – and are – big red flags for me. I have no evidence of aberrant behavior, but I just don’t trust the product well enough to recommend, or use, it.

https://www.askwoody.com/2017/in-praise-of-windows-update-minitool/

Nothing inherently wrong with it. In fact, you could argue that it’s far, far more stable than Windows itself. Still….

You don’t use it, but you’re willing to bet that it’s more “stable” than Windows? And can a small utility front-end for Windows services (probably, as far as we know) really be compared with an Operating System?

• #1999736 Reply
            Mick Mickle
            AskWoody Plus

You can recommend WuMgr (great tool btw) without having to bash WUMT

You’re absolutely right.  I didn’t intend to “bash” WUMT, but I shouldn’t have used the term “dubious source” for it.  WUMT has been around for over 3 years and has been well vetted through MDL Forums.  I use it myself, interchangeably with WuMgr, by selecting it in the Sledgehammer script https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/sledgehammer-windows-10-update-control.72203/ .

I was wondering why open-source equivalent WuMgr wasn’t mentioned in the article, and I suggest it as another alternative to take charge of Windows 10 and Office updating (particularly in conjunction with Sledgehammer).

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Take charge of Windows 10 and Office 365 updating

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.