News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Taking the battery out of a laptop

Posted on berniec Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Taking the battery out of a laptop

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

I have heard that it is not good to keep a laptop [or cellphone] battery constantly connected to a charger .   BUT: I use my laptop as a “small desktop” —  It is “plugged in” all the time [and connected to our LAN, rather than using wifi, etc]   Would it make sense to take the battery out entirely and just put the laptop on a UPS to protect it from power glitches?   Then, perhaps once a month or so, put the battery back , let it charge up, and then take it out again.

• #2267068 Reply
        WSjimcummings
        AskWoody Plus

In my experience the always plugged in scenario adds up to a prematurely dead battery. I don’t have any facts, figures or statistics, just my wife’s office experience with three laptops. Though I suggested to her and her office staff not to leave them plugged in they did not think it a problem. Eight months later all the batteries lasted about 25-30 minutes before dying while unplugged.

In my own case when travelling I would have the laptop plugged in while working and unplugged when not. The machine is over two years old (an HP G4) and works as it should with a few hours of unplugged battery life. I never took out the battery though the scenario you suggest would protect it as well.

• #2267075 Reply
        mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

There’s a feature on some laptops… actually, seen on some cellphones too… where they’ll stop charging after full, and restart when the charge drops to some percentage (configurable in some cases), typically between 85 and 95.

Supposed to help with exactly this thing.

Haven’t done any extensive studies but a couple of laptops I’ve used with it, still had a decent runtime on battery after mostly being used as desktop systems for some years.

• #2267083 Reply
        Vincenzo
        AskWoody Lounger

My current laptop does not allow battery removal, but for about 20 years I always removed my laptops’ batteries, only putting it in occasionally. I believe it lasts much longer that way. Never bothered with a UPS.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Vincenzo.
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2267133 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

My newer laptop has an option where it won’t charge past 80% to prolong battery life. As the battery is not removable it makes sense to turn it on as it spends most of its time connected to the charger.
        Can’t remember if the setting is a W10 thing or a manufacturer thing.

cheers, Paul

• #2267199 Reply
        Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

I’ve had a lot of laptops over the years, and every one of them has had a feature where the charging will stop when the battery reaches full charge. It doesn’t keep charging and charging forever while it’s plugged in.

There are a lot of things that reduce the service life of a lithium-ion battery. Keeping it cool is better than letting it get too hot; slow charging is better than fast; slow discharging is better than fast; shallow discharge (e.g. from 90% to 80%) is better than deep discharge (e.g. 90% to 10%).

On top of that, there’s the thing about keeping it in the 20-80% range.  That isn’t the be-all and end-all of battery preservation, though, as there are all of those other factors.

A lithium-ion battery will slowly discharge even with no load applied, and even though the rate of discharge is quite slow, it’s still a discharge, and if you let it go long enough, the battery will deeply discharge and get below 20%, both of which are bad.  Keeping it in the laptop (that is plugged in most or all of the time) will let the laptop maintain the battery by keeping it charged and turning off the charge current when it reaches the threshold for being fully charged.

I’ve always left my laptops (my first one came with Windows ME on it, to give an idea of how old it was) plugged in at all times when at home, which is by far the greatest amount of time as a whole.  I’ve still had good results with battery life compared to what the same laptop had when the battery was new.

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.19.3).

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Taking the battery out of a laptop

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.