News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Task Scheduler error

Posted on moonbear Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Task Scheduler error

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

GoneToPlaid 15 hours, 20 minutes ago.

• Author

moonbear
      AskWoody Lounger

Friday morning I tried a system restore to fix a Word 2010 click-to-run issue. I quarintined c:\progra~2\common~1\micros~1\virtua~1\cvh.exe when it showed up in my Panda Dome process monitor because before then I had never realized it ran every time Word. After some quick googling and realizing that Word c2r wouldn’t open with the file blocked I unquarantined the file (it was in Panda Dome’s lost&found folder but I never could get it to restore to its original location), which is what lead to an attempted system restore. The restore failed but I fixed the Word issue by letting Windows scan for the file after trying to open ms word. That seemed to be the end of my issues until I opened the task scheduler that night to make sure the Adobe Reader update task was disabled. When I opened TS i got this error message: The selected task “{0}” no longer exists. To see current tasks click Refresh. I clicked ok and instantly got this: Task scheduler service is not available. Task scheduler will attempt to reconnect to it. (The task scheduler service was and is running)  Again I clicked ok only to get the original “{0}” error message again. After clicking ok the third time the error messages went away but the task status pane said reading data failed. I decided to check the tasks to see if I could find anything wrong. The appid task, autochk, certificateserviceclient (more on that one in a second) mui and the systemrestore task would all throw up the “{0}” error message when clicked and then every task clicked would show up as being empty after that until the task scheduler is closed and reopened. But the certificateserviceclient will show its tasks after clicking ok on the error if it is the first error giving task clicked. I know this won’t be a simple fix but any help or direction will be greatly appreciated

• This topic was modified 3 days, 14 hours ago by
         moonbear.
    • #420240 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Have a look in Services tab (right click on the Task Bar, Task Manager) at the “Schedule” task. Is it running?

cheers, Paul

• #436607 Reply

moonbear
        AskWoody Lounger

The schedule task is running, that’s what makes this even weirder because the way these errors make it seem is that the schedule task should be stopped and from what little I can tell I don’t think that ever happened.

• #515798 Reply

GoneToPlaid
      AskWoody Plus

Try doing the System Restore again, but from Safe Mode. A lot of times this will work, if doing so failed under Normal Mode.

If the above doesn’t work, then you and the experts here should look at this Technet article:

Task Scheduler Corrupt Tasks

All tasks are stored under System32\Tasks, and registry entries for them are stored under:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Task Scheduler error

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.