News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Tasks for the weekend – April 10, 2021 – change your Office

Home Forums AskWoody blog Tasks for the weekend – April 10, 2021 – change your Office

Viewing 12 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

Youtube here Office Click to run normally installs on the monthly version. This means features can be installed every month. I find it changes too muc
        [See the full post at: Tasks for the weekend – April 10, 2021 – change your Office]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

6 users thanked author for this post.
        Latka
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks, Susan.  You come up with the most practical suggestions for the weekend.

Latka
        AskWoody Plus

Susan,

This did not work for me. Not sure why. After the last command “/update user” the pop up screen said “you’re up-to-date.”  There was no downloading and reinstalling.

Using Microsoft 365 subscription and Version 2103 (Build 13901.20336 Click-to-Run) Current Channel on Win10 Home Edition Version 20H2 (Build 19042.867).

Screenshot-2021-04-10-211042

Attachments:
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

Can you try it a second time?  I had a machine that took a second command. Also you are doing this from an elevated command line right? type in cmd, right mouse click and click on run as administrator

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Latka
          AskWoody Plus

I ran the command prompt while signed into the administrator account. I will check it again tomorrow.  You may be right about recent updates, as I checked it last week.

I am going to try it on another machine, too. Unfortunately, the machine is 12 years old, so this may take a little longer.

Susan Bradley
            Manager

It’s not signed into the admin account, you have to run as admin. But this one that I found just got updates for Office as well (don’t ask me why it’s so behind in office updating) so I’ll check again as well tomorrow.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

1 user thanked author for this post.
              Latka
              AskWoody Plus

Now it has worked on both machines.  On the first machine, apparently it wasn’t enough to run the command prompt while signed into an admin account.  Apparently the right-click to run as administrator is required, whether it is signed into an administrator account or not.  Go figure.

Paul T
                AskWoody MVP

That is the expected behaviour if UAC is turned on (the default).
                UAC is designed to prevent malware installing automatically. Unfortunately malware authors have found ways around that.

cheers, Paul

Latka
                AskWoody Plus

Yes, Paul, but I didn’t realize the command prompt has been relegated to just another app controlled by UAC.

I am old enough to remember (cough, cough, Win 2) when using a command prompt meant having direct control of the operating system; and apps controlled popup windows.

Now the command prompt is in an “app” and the O.S. is controlling all the windows.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Latka.
                Paul T
                AskWoody MVP

Command Prompt can be run as a standard user or with admin rights via UAC, the same as every other app. This has been the case since Vista.

cheers, Paul

Susan Bradley
        Manager

“If Office has just been installed or updated, changing the update channel can take up to 24 hours after the new setting has been applied.”  I found a machine at home that is also doing what yours is doing (that is not doing anything). Let’s give it 24 hours and see what it does.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

On the first machine, apparently it wasn’t enough to run the command prompt while signed into an admin account.  Apparently the right-click to run as administrator is required,

What Does “Run as Administrator” Mean in Windows 10?

..But even if you are using an administrator account on Windows, not every application needs full administrator permissions. In fact, that’s bad for security—your web browser shouldn’t have full access to your entire operating system. User Account Control (UAC) limits the permissions that applications have, even when you launch them from an administrator account.

When you use “Run as Administrator,” UAC gets out of the way, and the application is run with full administrator access to everything on your system.

So when you run an app as an administrator, it means you are giving the app special permissions to access restricted parts of your Windows 10 system that would otherwise be off-limits. This brings potential dangers, but it is also sometimes necessary for certain programs to work correctly…

dhdoyle
        AskWoody Plus

That was an awesome post! I have been wondering why my Office Pro 2018 kept feeling unfamiliar.

WCHS
        AskWoody Plus

Susan, my Product Information looks different than your screen, since I am running Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016 on one machine and …2019 on another machine. Consequently, in the About Word section, it doesn’t say anything about the channel.

I note that you say that those steps will work on ANY VERSION of C2R and your screen shows the Microsoft 365 Product subscription. Will it also run on a non-subscription version?

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by WCHS.
        Attachments:
        KP
        AskWoody Plus

My version of ClickToRun is slightly different, to get to the Semi-Annual Channel. I need the following command:

OfficeC2RClient.exe /changesetting Channel=Broad

You can see this parameter in Mark Berry’s blog post.

One month the update changed Office to Semi-Annual Channel (Preview) so now I check my version against the Master Patch List versions. Here is Microsoft’s April list.

If the Office version is not what you want, you can use the following command to change versions. In my case the Office 2016 command is adds a few numbers to the version numbers, listed in the Master Patch List. I can get to a specific Semi-Annual Channel version of the 2002 or 2008 base with this command (fabulous I think).

officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.xxxx.yyyy

WCHS
        AskWoody Plus

My version of ClickToRun is slightly different, to get to the Semi-Annual Channel. I need the following command:

OfficeC2RClient.exe /changesetting Channel=Broad

You can see this parameter in Mark Berry’s blog post.

I found some other channels at To change update channel Office 365. The list of channels also provides alternative designations (e.g. Deferred or Broad, same thing).

If it’s true that these commands can be used for any version of C2R, I am assuming they will work for Microsoft Office Home and Student 20xx, also, and not only a Microsoft 365 product. But, I am waiting for an answer from Susan to #2358238 on that.

KP
          KP
          AskWoody Plus

FWIW, my version is Office 2016 Pro, non-subscription.

dph853
        AskWoody Plus

I don’t like change but have been meaning to change the update frequency of my office 2016 but doing so is change so I kept putting it off. Today’s post pushed me forward. The three commands worked fine and I am now on the semi annual channel with the info below, am I as current as I want to be? I still have updates turned off and will run them once a month when I apply Win10 patches after the defcon level changes.

Capture2

Attachments:
        KP
        AskWoody Plus

I usually run the Office update a week or two after Patch Tuesday. Using these line commands, I can change to the previous month’s version if the current month’s software has problems.

Not sure if there are any flaws in this logic; so far so good. When I did not know about these commands, Office did not update for a quite a months and I did not know why. So far I have been on the Monthly Channel and the Preview Channel unintentionally, and gotten back to the Semi-Annual Channel.

cobber2076
        AskWoody Plus

Is there a way to move to the semi-annual channel for Office 2013?

KP
          AskWoody Plus

Check to see if you have the program officec2rclient.exe, at the following directory: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun\

Then it is a matter of running the command, to get to the semi-annual channel.

If you are not using Click-To-Run, then you are limited to the version you have such as Home or Pro.

Viewing 12 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Tasks for the weekend – April 10, 2021 – change your Office

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.