News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Tasks for the Weekend – April 24, 2021 – changes to New Edge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Tasks for the Weekend – April 24, 2021 – changes to New Edge

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

Youtube here Included in the April updates is the installation of New Edge and the removal of old Edge. But already Edge has changed: The download loc
        [See the full post at: Tasks for the Weekend – April 24, 2021 – changes to New Edge]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

3 users thanked author for this post.
        anonymous

Yes. As part of the monthly Microsoft terrorism attack on my laptop, Edge installed itself. This happened only days after I had totally cleaned it from my system. It also decided it should be the default pdf reader. I suppose cleaning it out and setting back the default program is good practice but, it seems far from appropriate that the OS should determine any of anybody’s defaults.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Edge installed itself.

You should keep the new Edge. IE11 is insecure so was the old Edge.
        Even if you don’t use the browser Windows 10 still uses its browser for some tasks.

Just recently I opened a URL using Chrome and got just half a page.
        Tried Firefox 78.10 ESR and got the same result.
        New Edge came to the rescue and displayed the full article.

F A Kramer
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the tip about .pdf  readers. When I went to default apps and changed to my preferred app, rather than just doing what I asked, MS told me to try Edge and only in small print below gave me the option of changing “anyway”. Insulting attitude MS!

1 user thanked author for this post.
        anonymous

How to remove the New Edge and keep using the old Edge?

The new Edge has been report to be much more spyware and telemetry from MS hacking group.

Susan Bradley
          Manager

Old Edge is no longer supported and will be insecure.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

b
          AskWoody MVP

The new Edge has been report to be much more spyware and telemetry from MS hacking group.

By whom?

Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.985 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

Tex265
        AskWoody Plus

Installed April CU, all seems OK.  Already had New Edge installed and was able to remove via the Control Panel > Add/Remove.  After update, entry still there but can now only “Change”. Also my default PDF was not force changed to Edge.

Question: How/what do I check to verify Legacy Edge has been completely removed?

Windows 10 Pro x64 v20H2 and Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 (RIP)
    Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Tasks for the Weekend – April 24, 2021 – changes to New Edge

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.