News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Tasks for the weekend – April 3, 2021 – Event Viewer

Home Forums AskWoody blog Tasks for the weekend – April 3, 2021 – Event Viewer

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

YouTube here The event log can be the most helpful – or the most confusing thing you’ve ever seen. To find it go to the search box, type in event view
        [See the full post at: Tasks for the weekend – April 3, 2021 – Event Viewer]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

3 users thanked author for this post.
        SteveTree
        AskWoody Lounger

There may be many different triggers to an error. This site MAY sometimes help.

http://www.eventid.net/

Search by Event number and source when possible.

Group A (but Telemetry disabled Tasks and Registry)
        Win 7 64 Pro desktop
        Win 10 64 Home portable

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Cybertooth
        AskWoody Plus

When one of my PCs has a problem, Event Viewer provides the solution maybe 5 percent of the time. Typically the problem description is vague and completely useless, such as “The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.” Well yes, thank you very much, I saw it as it was happening, now how about telling me what caused it and what I can do about it?

Clicking on the “More information” link at the bottom of the Event Viewer pane does not actually provide more information. You’d think it would take you to a dedicated page for the specific event that you are investigating, where you would get, uh, more information on it, but instead you are taken to a generic Microsoft Support page where the top banner is trying to sell you Microsoft 365. Here’s what the “More information” link in Event Viewer takes me to from Windows 10:

EventID41

And typing (for example) “Event ID 41” in the provided search field on that page yields a bunch of irrelevant results for other event numbers, at least on the first page of results where you would expect the best results to show up.

There may be a way to make fruitful use of the data that Event Viewer provides, and if so then I’m all ears. But the “More information” link is almost always a pure, unadulterated waste of time; instead I’ll just type the Event ID into DuckDuckGo and see what turns up.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by Cybertooth.
        • This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by Cybertooth.
        Attachments:
        5 users thanked author for this post.
          SteveTree
          AskWoody Lounger

When the system is frozen and crashes it is not recording things in logs. I don’t waste effort trying to resolve those unless they happen frequently.

Win 7 64 Pro desktop
          Win 10 64 Home portable

anonymous

Event Viewer provides the solution maybe 5 percent of the time.

I think you forgot a period and a few zeros…..0.0000005 percent. Event Viewer is useless tools. There is nothing help that can figure out what the issue is. Now Teams saves Event Viewer with messages such as, “Something went wrong. Try later.”…. or “Check if you are connect to internet or try to connect later”, but all other programs are working on the internet fine. Another useless is Office saving notes as” Do yo which to open document?”, “document has been saved at….”

MS has lost its ability to be useful. Analysis of the leak source code shows that Windows 10:

• 70% of base source code is from Windows Xp.
          • 10% is from Windows 7,
          • 5% is from Windows 8/8.1,
          • 5% is stole code from open source, and
          • 9%(GUI base) for Windows 10 and
          • 1% is spyware/telemetry/backdoor/eye of the beholder.
          2 users thanked author for this post.
            Paul T
            AskWoody MVP

Analysis by whom and where? Cite your references please.

cheers, Paul

IT Manager Geek
        AskWoody Plus

Hello, to Cybertooth’s commentary 1st paragraph’s (that I agree with whole heartly and lived with the same frustrations) rant, I will add it’s far better than nothing.  Though yes it does take significant time and work to understand your system’s event log patterns (such as when a failure is a good thing in that it’s telling you a task ran and if there isn’t a true problem it results in a failure alert).  The key is taking the time (sometimes over months – years) reviewing Windows event logs will lead you to be better understanding of what makes your system run (it won’t be perfect, and there’s lots of event failures that you have to filter through to understand what’s normal).

Further to the above, I have a Win10 machine that does a fairly important monitoring – administrative task, and every once in a while – every couple of months – it reboots.  So far out of the three reboots I’ve not established a comfortable root cause, though by taking notes and such I’ve ascertain it isn’t anything to worry about (at least for now and assuming the trend – reboots don’t get worse) as each reboot had its own characteristic set of events.

Mind you, the above is mainly for Servers, though occassionally Window Event logs have been useful in diagnosing Client machine behaviours.

Take care,

IT Manager Geek

anonymous

My Acer laptop has a strange issue where it will sometimes wake up from sleep even when the lid is closed. This has occasionally resulted in me opening my laptop bag to find it warm and the battery half-drained, or having it on my desk and running with the lid closed. It’s unclear what triggers it, though I suspect static electricity to be one of the causes. Event Viewer always claims it was due to the power button, but that can’t possibly be true because the lid was closed the whole time. Instead, I look at the timestamp so I know when the computer woke up and how long it has been running like that for. It truly happens in the most random of circumstances—it sometimes happens when I’m out of the house and nobody’s been near the thing. Not exactly useful in diagnosing the issue, but at least I know when it happened.

b
          AskWoody MVP

Is sleep the best setting for “when I close the lid” then?

Why not hibernate or shutdown when lid closed on battery?

SteveTree
          AskWoody Lounger

Did you try disabling wake timers?

Win 7 64 Pro desktop
          Win 10 64 Home portable

HarryH3
        AskWoody Lounger

This is perhaps the best description of Event Viewer messages ever:  “99.99% of the time it can be ignored”  The log is typically filled with gibberish that is mostly useless.  Why?  Because Microsoft, (as Cybertooth showed above), in the 35 years since Windows arrived, hasn’t spent 20 minutes adding anything useful to their “Event Log Online Help” database.  Even before they started breaking millions of old links and forwarding them to a page that tries to sell you something, the links were mostly to poor information or “We don’t any information on that error”. What!?!?  YOU folks wrote the freakin’ software!  Surely someone there knows what triggers those errors.  (Or perhaps they were “rightsized” for not having icon design skills…)

Seriously Microsoft?  You have time to Create new Icons and other fluff that no one on Earth really wants.  You release updates that  crash some systems.  You spend (waste?) money on people to “help” in the Ask Microsoft forums, yet they seldom are actually helpful.  You STILL insist on having known file extensions hidden by default on a new install (or even a new account on an old install!).  You still push all of your online games to the start menu, even in Professional and Enterprise editions.  (Though perhaps those using domains and active directory can get rid of that fluff easily via Group Policy).  You still push Xbox Game Bar to every user.  (Don’t play games?  Oh, too bad, the process is still going to run in the background all the time AND we’re going to gray out the uninstall button).

Don’t even get me started out how much usefulness has vanished in the push from Control Panel to the Tabletized version that now haunts us from the Settings App.  🙁

I could probably go on all day, but I won’t.  🙂

7 users thanked author for this post.
        R
        AskWoody Plus

Before Windows 10 I never checked the logs. Sadly, I was one of the early adopters of 10, and ran into many rather huge problems. The logs were the place to be to dig out some info. Most of the time the errors were vague. No one – including Microsoft helpdesks – were able to tell me what kind of action to take. Often, I restored an image after yet another vague series of incidents with equally vague effects. Sometimes that helped, but – of course – most of the time the problems returned. Sometimes – unavoidable to use this word – an update solved problems, more often they introduced new troubles. So restoring images became a time consuming regular task.

On advice of a system admin, I learned to ignore most log events. Still I don’t feel very comfortable but of course Windows itself crashed less and less in the years going by. It’s still far from perfect. But the most annoying thing is that as an end user, you never know what can be safely ignored and what not. For me, the most important is that the very few programs I really need work. And above all that AV-software works. What I should do after a reboot caused by an incidental bsod became never clear to me. Just continue when all seems to work fine? Or could vital system files be damaged (including those of the mentioned scanner)? So yes, after a bsod I still restore images. But it’s annoying, this just not knowing what you should really do.

I do notice though, that most people with much deeper knowledge also seem to say **** it, when it works it’s ok. If they would keep chasing Windows bugs, it would be a 24/7 task. Personally, I never wanted to be so deeply involved with the internals of this OS, or any OS. I just want a system that works, set and forget. Not having to worry about viruses, security and more. I hear this same wish everywhere around me. It’s why people switch to tablets, Chromebooks, even Mac’s. And with that ‘even’ I mean that macOS is much easier to ‘tame’ then Windows, it’s mostly the wanted set-and-forget OS.

Maybe I am rambling, who knows. But I remember the time (and now I sound like an old pensioner looking back at his life, but unfortunately I am far from that still) that an OS needed a service pack now and then and possible at irregular moments a handful of security updates. Being obligatory pushed to new versions of an OS is annoying (understatement). All the big names play this game though, including the more popular Linux varieties. Because the common people want new icons, new emoticons, new effects, new whatevers. But wait: do they REALLY want that, or is that the terror of the shareholders? I fear it’s the last. And it made us common people permanent guinea pigs.

An OS should be a platform to run the software I want, nothing more nothing less. Sadly the OS became the protagonist instead of the prompter, with way too much unstable unwanted ballast on board. Wonder how long it’ll take before this bubble collapses. Or maybe for many ‘common people’ it already collapsed. Because personally, I see less and less ‘classic’ desktops and laptops at homes, but more and more iPad’s, Chromebooks and the like. That process will most certainly only be accelerated by the Covid pandemic. The delaying factors are large companies, multinationals with CEO’s who are old-fashioned and easy victims of the Microsoft honey trap. Reality though, is that for 99% of the daily tasks – especially at home, but for sure in many offices too – you basically need a browser to log in at some online service. Or in worst case log in at a work system to connect to a remote desktop, maintained by system administrators that solve the problems for the end user and keep all safe and stable. It means that the classic operating systems are getting closer to their moment of extinction, to be taken over by more sleek, effeicient and less top heavy successors. Evolution, in essence

Yeah, I went a bit deeper than planned. But hey: I am in quarantaine for some time, so that leads to some more thinking time 😉 Despite that: Happy (rest of) Easter for all!

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Zaphyrus
        AskWoody Lounger

Dont understimate Event viewer

sometimes it is the announcer of impending serious problems

though most of the time it can be fixed with registry tweaks.

Just someone who don't want Windows to mess with its computer.
    Viewing 7 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Tasks for the weekend – April 3, 2021 – Event Viewer

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.