News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Tasks for the Weekend – February 13, 2021 – Windows backup

Home Forums AskWoody blog Tasks for the Weekend – February 13, 2021 – Windows backup

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

Youtube video here Tonight I’m showcasing making a backup of your Windows 10 computer. Picking your backup software is similar to picking your antivir
        [See the full post at: Tasks for the Weekend – February 13, 2021 – Windows backup]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

4 users thanked author for this post.
        bbearren
        AskWoody MVP

I use Hardened Windows techniques.  I’ve been using TeraByte’s Image for Windows (and its earlier variants) for two decades, now.  Task Scheduler creates images of three partitions each (OS, Programs and Users) for both the A and B side of my dual boot beginning every Sunday at 2:00 AM on an internal 1TB drive.  The drive image for my NAS is created Saturday morning to its own folder.

Next Task Scheduler copies those images to folders on my NAS.  While I’m drinking my Sunday morning coffee, I plug the first of two 3TB HDD’s into the drive dock of my NAS, and copy those fresh drive image folders to the docked HDD where three months of drive images are stored offline.  The first is already unplugged and stored, and the second is almost finished.

In addition, my data is replicated via Task Scheduler to my OneDrive folder daily, synced in the cloud, and also synced to my OneDrive folder on my NAS.  Periodically I create whole-drive images of each of the drives in my daily driver desktop.  These are tremendously handy in the event of a drive failure; just swap in a replacement drive, restore the whole-drive image to the replacement drive and all the partitions and their data are in place.

Belt and suspenders, plus an extra belt.  Since I don’t do fresh installations, this regimen, once setup, carries forward with each upgrade of Windows 10.  Both of my 3TB HDD’s are now updated and safely stored away until next Sunday morning.  The only thing left after that is to delete the oldest drive image folders from my internal 1TB drive.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
        "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
        "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

anonymous

Does anybody know how to make Macrium Reflect also backup and restore the bootloader?

I had a surprise when restoring a W10 Dualboot PC from a MR backup, it refused to boot afterwards. I got the Grub Rescue prompt and had to muck about with Boot Repair, which took several times longer than the actual restore. 🙁

Susan Bradley
          Manager

On a single boot machine it doesn’t have that problem.  It may be the dual boot throwing in a wackiness.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

bbearren
          AskWoody MVP

I dual boot, but not Linux, and I’ve never had that problem.  On a UEFI/GPT system, the bootloader is in the EFI system partition with Windows.  If that’s where it is with Linux, create a drive image of the EFI partition, and restore it along with your other drive images, and it should be copacetic.

Also, I’m not using the Windows 8/8.1/10 bootmgr, I’m using the Windows 7 bootmgr.  That also may have something to do with my lack of problems with restoring drive images RE boot-up.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
          "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
          "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

anonymous

Assuming a W10 EUFI-GPT set-up, if grub raised a rescue prompt, then the grub EFI boot loader itself must have been restored to the machine’s active EFI system partition (ESP) okay.   The problem is likely due to its being unable to find the grub modules located within the linux / root partition as that partition is currently identified.  That may possibly involve a partition UUID set in the /EFI/<distroname>/grub.cfg file.

A straightforward backup-restore operation using any decent utility shouldn’t normally alter the linux / root partition’s UUID, but I use the Terabyte suite myself and I think @bbearren does too.  It’s the only backup utility I’ve found that will actually allow native support mounting of and selective restoration from linux ext2/3/4 partitions as well as FAT and NTFS partitions.

PDX5802
        AskWoody Plus

Susan, I see on your video you are using the Macrium  “Windows backup” vs “Image selected disks.”  I’ve been using the “Image selected disks.” Since the OS, files and data are all on my SSD and I check all the partitions, what more would selecting “Windows backup” instead do for me?

PerthMike
        AskWoody Plus

The only issue I found recently with the Acronis that comes with Seagate drives is that it seems to have trouble with some of the latest UEFI systems (eg. recent Dell systems with SSD drives). It seems to create a full system backup, but when you try to restore it, it says the image is corrupt. When you run the Test on the image, it says there is a problem with the backup.

ie. Always do a test restore (or at least an attempt to open the backup) of a backup you just created, especially if it’s the first time on new hardware.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Bundaburra
        AskWoody Plus

“I personally recommend paying for backup software and not relying on a free version…..”

Nice idea in principle, but it does not work for me.  I have been using the free version of Macrium for years, and it has always got me out of trouble when needed.  I have two PCs, a desktop and a laptop, and according to the Macrium website a single licence would cost $US69.95.  That’s about $A94 at the current exchange rate, or twice that ($A188) for the two PCs.  Not sure if that’s ongoing, or an annual fee, but in any case I can’t afford it.  An alternative is to buy four licences for $US139.95 ($A187) but that’s overkill and no different.

I like the Macrium product very much, but will continue with the free version on both PCs.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 20H2

bbearren
          AskWoody MVP

Not sure if that’s ongoing, or an annual fee, but in any case I can’t afford it. An alternative is to buy four licences for $US139.95 ($A187) but that’s overkill and no different.

One of the perks for TeraByte’s Image for Windows (US $38.94) is the license for personal use:

“Personal or Home Users. If you are a real person, and if all Software under this license is used exclusively for personal non-commercial use only, then each licensed copy may be installed on four additional Computer Systems owned or controlled by you, or a member of your immediate family in the same household.”  I have four installations at present.

All updates for version 3.xx are free to licensed users (current version is 3.42).  If/when they release 4.xx, it will require a new license purchase.

anonymous

Used Macrium for a long time, but then started having problems with running an overnight backup and coming in next morning and backup aborted due to some sort of I/O error which I could never sort out.  Also have had problems with the Windows PE recovery USB that couldn’t get me on my network, so couldn’t use my NAS as a backup location.  So have been kind of just using folder sync instead of a backup.

Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

If you create the rescue disk from the PC you are backing up, you should get the network drivers that match your machine. See this Macrium post.

some sort of I/O error

Start a new topic under Forums › AskWoody support › PC hardware › Questions – Maintenance and backups with details of the error message.

cheers, Paul

anonymous

Windows 10 comes with its own image backup and file backup, any reason not to use those?

Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

Windows backup is generally less easy to use and has fewer features than 3rd party apps. The choice is yours.

cheers, Paul

280park
        AskWoody Plus

For several years I have been making system images of my computer before installing monthly Windows updates. Currently I am using Macrium Reflect free with my Windows 10 Pro laptop, and I have made a USB boot drive for it. Previously I was using the Microsoft backup and restore tool with my Windows 7 laptop. Luckily I have never needed these backups. But that good luck leaves me wondering whether I have made these backups properly and if someday I need them will I know how to use them and will they work.

Is there any way to test saved backups without actually using them?

Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

Of course!

Rename a couple of files.
          Boot from your rescue USB.
          Connect the backup disk if required.
          Browse the backup and restore the files you renamed.
          Boot normally and check if the restored files are the same as the renamed files.

cheers, Paul

2 users thanked author for this post.
            LHiggins
            AskWoody Plus

Along those lines, can I connect my backup drive to a different (second) computer that also has Macrium Reflect Free installed, and then browse the backup images using that other computer? I have a laptop with a separate hard drive for data that I backup using Macrium. Can I view those files on the second computer and possibly access them, or even restore them to that second computer? They are all data files, not system files.

Thanks!

Paul T
              AskWoody MVP

Macrium will browse / restore from any Macrium image. This is why we like 3rd party apps, boot / browse / restore from any computer.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
                LHiggins
                AskWoody Plus

Thanks Paul! I did figure it out and glad to see that it will work as I’d hoped. 🙂

Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Tasks for the Weekend – February 13, 2021 – Windows backup

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.