News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Tasks for the weekend – June 5, 2021 – what’s in your startup?

Home Forums AskWoody blog Tasks for the weekend – June 5, 2021 – what’s in your startup?

• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by anonymous.
    Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

(You tube video) Have you looked as to what applications start automatically in your computer as it starts up? Take the time to review and turn off wh
        [See the full post at: Tasks for the weekend – June 5, 2021 – what’s in your startup?]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

The list is lacking a lot of apps that startup on my system like: Kaspersky, HitmanPro.Alert, Nvidia GeForce,…

alejr
        AskWoody Lounger

The Startup tab in Task manager only shows items that are in the Startup Folder (both individual user and all users) or in one of the 3 run locations in the registry.

It doesn’t show Windows Services that are set with a startup type of Automatic (like Kaspersky, AVG, etc.) nor Scheduled Tasks that are set to run At logon of any user (like Nvidia Geforce, HWinfo, etc.)

A better alternative that actually does show everything that automatically starts with Windows and also allows you to disable unwanted items is Sysinternals Autoruns (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns)

1 user thanked author for this post.
        anonymous

A mind boggling morass! But I do clean it regularly and do a web search on those things I am unsure about (either existing or the need to run on start).

I use  autoruns to do the checking and use the option to submit to VirusTotal. Autoruns is also useful for cleaning out startup entries for which the relevant file no longer exists. That seems to happen after Windows update🙄

Noel Carboni
          AskWoody_MVP

+1 to the Autoruns by SysInternals recommendation. But just remember, you get a LOT to look at. A modern Windows system is nothing if not insanely complex. This is not your father’s system setup.

Advantages of this tool:

• Thoroughness – if it is set to start you’ll see it here
          • Maintenance – if you uncheck something, Autoruns remembers it by moving its entry aside. If something gets re-added you can easily see it as a checked entry right next to an unchecked entry.
          • Filtering – see all the entries from a particular maker or with a particular string in the name for example.
          • A command line version – for generating regular scheduled reports for example (if you want to get really geeky) to help you see what’s changed.

Don’t be surprised if after taking a hard look and doing some tuning you end up with many or most of your auto-run entries unchecked! Every application it seems wants to install “helpful” components I really want running. Of course, your mileage may vary.

-Noel

2 users thanked author for this post.
          Susan Bradley
          Manager

I’m going to also showcase autoruns, but I always like to start with the more native tools and then go to the complicated ones.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

WCHS
        AskWoody Plus

I now have these 9 turned OFF: BlueJeans.Detector, Cortana, *Logitech Download Assistant, Microsoft OneDrive, QuickSet (Dell), *WD App Manager Launcher, *WD Drive Utilities Helper, WebEx. The ones with an asterisk were those I just turned off now. These 8 are ON: Absolute Notifier, Delayed Launcher (Intel), Dropbox, HD Audio Background Process (listed twice), Realtek Audio Manager, Waves MaxxAudio Service App, Windows Security Notification …

I have no idea what Delayed Launcher does – it’s an Intel app. Also, notice that HD Audio Background Process is listed twice, for some reason. I wonder why. I do have four Realtek apps installed: Realtek Card Reader, Realtek High Definition Audio Driver, Realtek PC Camera, Realtek USB Ethernet Controller All-in-One Windows Driver. Maybe two of these drivers are responsible, individually, for the two HD Audio Background Process apps at Startup. What do you think?

anonymous

Leave Delayed Launcher. It relates to Intel Rapid Store. If you want to know more search the internet.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

It doesn’t show Windows Services that are set with a startup type of Automatic (like Kaspersky, AVG, etc.) nor Scheduled Tasks that are set to run At logon of any user (like Nvidia Geforce, HWinfo, etc.)

It should show ALL startup apps/services otherwise the Startup tab is worthless.
        Autoruns is “3rd party” software that many users (the majority?) don’t know about.

anonymous

Only startup are MS services that have been triple check that are not telemetry data are allowed to run on Windows Xp and Windows 7. Everything else is disabled.

I do not use Windows 10 since MS has add too much spy-telmary-ware into it. Windows 10 computer is still disconnected from Internet and network and wifi card remove. Only if my Windows Xp and 7 computer fail will consider Windows 10 to use on internet.

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Tasks for the weekend – June 5, 2021 – what’s in your startup?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.