News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Tasks for the weekend – May 15, 2021 – Squirrel away time

Home Forums AskWoody blog Tasks for the weekend – May 15, 2021 – Squirrel away time

• This topic has 24 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

Youtube video here If you haven’t already done so, it’s time to go to the Microsoft download site and download a copy of Windows 10 20H2. 21H1 will be
        [See the full post at: Tasks for the weekend – May 15, 2021 – Squirrel away time]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

anonymous

Just an FYI for anyone interested, 20H2 is too big for a DVD, but 21H1 is small enough to be burnt on a DVD.

EricB
          AskWoody Plus

The 20H2 version can be burned to a dual layer DVD.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        anonymous

Burn to a USB key?

rebop2020
        AskWoody Plus

I tried to download the ISO to a 64GB USB and would not fit. How big is this?

EricB
          AskWoody Plus

If the flash drive is formatted with FAT32 you are bumping up against the 4 GB size limit for an individual file.

2 users thanked author for this post.
            rebop2020
            AskWoody Plus

Ahhh, correct. So this does not reformat the drive. How should I do that prior to the download? NTFS?

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I tried to download the ISO to a 64GB USB and would not fit. How big is this?

~4.8GB.
        The USB should be formatted/empty.

Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

Wow, nearly 5 Gigabytes.  Unless one has a super high speed Internet connection, a lot of time certainly will be squirreled away!

anonymous

Burn the 20H2 iso with DoD3 and download a seriously more private, functional and controlable Linux 0S iso instead. Linux Mint works well, as do many others in the top 20 distrowatch page hits section. Use WINE for a compatibility layer for windoze programs within Linux, it’s getting better. 0therwise prepare to drink plenty of wine when using W!n10 in frustration as well as being burdened to windoze updates screwing up your PC

I’d like a Linux OS called ‘beer’..conversations would be interesting from 3rd parties listening in.

{/:)/

Linda2019
        AskWoody Plus

Has anyone experienced any problems with their optical drive after the update to 20H2?

My optical drive is there.. seen in device manager, tried to update the driver .. says its the latest

It can play music dvds but can’t read or burn a blank dvd.  I was able to create a repair disc in December 2020 after updating to version 2004

Can’t find any NEW drivers from Dell that are appropriate for the pc I purchased under 2 years ago.  I went to the manufacturers site .. nothing there.

Does anyone know if there us a patch coming from Microsoft regarding this device problem?

EricB
          AskWoody Plus

For what it’s worth, my system running 20H2 (May update not yet installed) burned ISO images to two blank DVDs without incident.

JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

Has anyone experienced any problems with their optical drive after the update to 20H2?

My optical drive is there.. seen in device manager, tried to update the driver .. says its the latest

It can play music dvds but can’t read or burn a blank dvd.  I was able to create a repair disc in December 2020 after updating to version 2004

Can’t find any NEW drivers from Dell that are appropriate for the pc I purchased under 2 years ago.  I went to the manufacturers site .. nothing there.

Does anyone know if there us a patch coming from Microsoft regarding this device problem?

Wow, thanks for that reminder! I have not even tested my burner in the past couple of years, since switching to mostly USB flash media.

Linda2019
          AskWoody Plus

I am working on a work-around … let me know if you need any info

RetiredGeek
        AskWoody MVP

I just downloaded the Media Creation Tool (16 May 2021) and ran it and this is what I got!

MediaCT20210516
        I double checked my code by hand, e.g. looking in the files manually for the version information and it checks out.

So how do I download 20H2?

HTH 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
        Computer Specs

cyberSAR
          AskWoody Plus

I use TechBench and works fine. No fuss. https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php

bobolink
          AskWoody Plus

I downloaded using the Mediation Creation Tool today, my system is 19042.928. When  I checked  the ISO using DISM  I found that also have 19041.631 which is Win 10 2004 (20H1) not 20H2.

Details for image : L:\sources\install.esd

Index : 6
          Name : Windows 10 Pro
          Description : Windows 10 Pro
          Size : 15,720,710,878 bytes
          WIM Bootable : No
          Architecture : x64
          Hal : acpiapic
          Version : 10.0.19041
          ServicePack Build : 631
          ServicePack Level : 0
          Edition : Professional
          Installation : Client
          ProductType : WinNT
          ProductSuite : Terminal Server
          System Root : WINDOWS
          Directories : 24132
          Files : 96477
          Created : 11/18/2020 – 11:01:10 PM
          Modified : 5/16/2021 – 9:14:24 PM

Thank you

anonymous

There is a useful script on Github that wraps around MCT and allows downloading previous releases of Windows 10. I thought I would share it as this makes it easier to retain control of when you upgrade, and what release you upgrade to.

Lars220
        AskWoody Plus

Back on 13 March 2021 there is a good and informative discussion about the Enablement Package of version 20H2, and how it is built into the latest MCT Media Creation Tool for 20H2, even though the Build number remains 19041 which indicates version 2004. Seems to be a very confusing situation, but PKCano and others explain very well, worth a review:

Surprise after using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

the ISO file was Windows Home (19041.631) which is 2004, not 20H2.

It doesn’t matter. They are the same and if you install the ISO you will get 20H2

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

So, you’ve discovered that it’s too late to get 20H2 via MCT or by Microsoft Direct Download, not quite.
        There are other methods and avenues to download 20H2 to either store the iso or create a bootable flashdrive as follows:

Heidocs Windows and Office Download Tool

Techbench -adguard

Rufus

or even Ventoy lol

| Quality over Quantity |
    Viewing 13 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Tasks for the weekend – May 15, 2021 – Squirrel away time

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.