News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Temporarily putting the site in maintenance mode

Home Forums AskWoody blog Temporarily putting the site in maintenance mode

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

We’re working on the missing replies issue. Hang loose.
        [See the full post at: Temporarily putting the site in maintenance mode]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

3 users thanked author for this post.
        Bob99
        AskWoody Plus

As of the time of this post, the site seems to be operating normally with the “missing” posts back in their rightful places, from what I’ve checked so far.

Is the site still under maintenance behind the scenes (aside from the normal daily things) or has the scheduled re-indexing been completed?

Susan Bradley
          Manager

I still have the site in “uber” CPU mode on the hoster side to give it room to finish reindexing.  We’ll take it down to normal in 24 hours.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Zig
        AskWoody Plus

Looks OK, so far. As I’ve said in another thread, it would be nice to have a designated place to report forum problems.

Zig

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Bob99
          AskWoody Plus

…it would be nice to have a designated place to report forum problems.

In my opinion, that place would be the link below:

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/forum/askwoody-central/suggestions-about-improving-the-lounge/

After all, reporting problems usually gets them fixed, which, in my opinion, is an improvement in the lounge.  🙂

Susan Bradley
            Manager

If the site is totally down, remember you can email me at sb@askwoody.com

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

OscarCP
              AskWoody Plus

Zig’s idea is not a bad one, in my opinion. “Suggestions for improving the Forum” is really for that, not for problems that someone has all of the sudden and needs fixing, not because there is something wrong with the forum that needs improving, but because of some thing that usually works just fine has malfunctioned, for example. That is supposed to be what “Customer support” should be, but in my own experience, it is running very slow these days and is (I believe) just one person now and then looking at what loungers might have complained or asked about.

As to the restoration of the disappeared comments: I have two long threads in “Fun Stuff” and have checked them from beginning to end. Conclusion: everything that was there before the “incident”, at least as far as I remember, is still there. So, assuming that the current state of those two threads is representative of the whole (and assuming the job is now all done), I would say the restoration has been a success. If I come across some missing comments, I’ll be back to report on those.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

Zig
              AskWoody Plus

Didn’t know about that. I thought you were not receiving PM’s.

Zig

Zig
              AskWoody Plus

Didn’t know about that. I thought you were not receiving PM’s.

Zig

abbodi86
        AskWoody_MVP

Everthing looks good now, and faster 🙂

E Pericoloso Sporgersi
        AskWoody Plus

On this side of Greenwich the site appears to run fine too. 

(Brexit didn’t modify the clock.)

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Definitely much faster – did you leave it in uber CPU mode?

cheers, Paul

anonymous

“Shhh I think we’re somewhat back to normal.”

ah yes far quicker thanks although square one has made a return

Windows 7 patches

shows two identical posts submitted at the same time by Eddieloh earlier today.

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

About the return of “square one”: I believe there might be a much easier way to find an example of that by looking for it in this very thread, where the same comment posted earlier today by Zig appears twice, time-stamped just one minute apart. Assuming that Zig did not posted it twice himself, accidentally. But if it has been caused by “square one”, maybe, considering the possible alternative, we just could live with that?

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

anonymous

OscarCP, yes there too, although when browsing earlier I had noticed the double post in the wooden ‘new topics’ panel. Looks like the forum admins have removed it now.

To post in quick succession should be supressed by anti DDOS flooding. This seems to behave like a bug in either a widget/ plugin or whatever other forum software that is used by this site.

Susan Bradley
              Manager

Actually we’re not at square one, we <cough, okay I> know how to handle this properly and not use the solution we originally thought would work and didn’t.  There’s a much more surgical way to fix the double post issue without kicking a total reindexing.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

2 users thanked author for this post.
        rexr
        AskWoody Plus

The forum is faster and feels ‘sprightly’ after the maintenance, and my user profile is right. Thankyou Admins.

Win10 Pro 20H2 19042.804
        Backups with Macrium Reflect home edition
    Viewing 7 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Temporarily putting the site in maintenance mode

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.