News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • That pesky 3.5 mm microphone/earphone jack on laptops

Posted on sigrossman Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware That pesky 3.5 mm microphone/earphone jack on laptops

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  sigrossman 5 months ago.

• Author

sigrossman
      AskWoody Lounger

I have no idea how many people have had this problem.  I want to post my solution for those who have.   I use a pair of Bose desktop speakers, really good sound for not breaking the bank, connected to my laptop.  For years, they were plugged into the jack in my Dell Inspiron 3.mm jack.  Then recently I bought a Lenovo Ideapad.  The speakers didn’t work.  Even though it was under warranty there was no way I could afford not having it between shipping back and forth and a week in the shop. So I came up with using a Bluetooth audio receiver that the speaker speakers could plug into.  This worked, except that since I turned off my computer at night, I would have to push the “pairing” button on the receiver every morning to reconnect.  Sometimes this didn’t work and I would have to start all over again.

I was not satisfied.  I read up on the jack in the Lenovo user guide.   It described the input device as having more connection points than a normal 3.5 mm jack (the rings on the jack that are separated by black insulators. In order for the receptacle to work you need a  cord to separate the functions, microphone and headphones (speakers in my case).  Amazon had this device (of course) as a 3.5 mm audio cable for a bunch of devices and, lastly, NEW VERSION LAPTOP (my caps).  Six Bucks! See picture.  It worked.

2019-05-16_0-58-18

Attachments:
      5 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1635006 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

Well yeah, it’s the same TRRS connector that’s in lots of mobile phones and such, it has stereo outputs and mic input in a single connector.

Also those adapters are sold even in grocery stores around here… not brand-specific and also lets you use external speakers and a desk mic with a phone (or tablet) that has the 3.5 mm audio connector, if you want to.

(My old audio CD player stopped working recently. Replaced it by ripping the CDs to files and repurposing an old Android 4 tablet to play those from sdcard, to external speakers…)

• #1639032 Reply

sigrossman
      AskWoody Lounger

Sell in grocery stores..hmmm.  You don’t have to answer, but I can only guess NYC or SF

• #1654853 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

… huh? Oh, location. Well the local timezone is ahead of UTC, so…

• #1655417 Reply

sigrossman
          AskWoody Lounger

You are far, far, far East of me.  Grocery stores are probably very different.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: That pesky 3.5 mm microphone/earphone jack on laptops

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.