News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • The Best Linux Distributions for Old Machines

Posted on Microfix Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems Linux – all distros The Best Linux Distributions for Old Machines

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

As a follow on from best-linux-distros-for-beginners-2020
        Tecmint has just published another article, that has some interesting distro’s listed.
        However, this list is not limited to older hardware as the title suggests ๐Ÿ˜‰
        Some of these I’ve tried and actually installed on a Haswell i5 based desktop with SSD storage, and boy do they fly with minimal resources at default.

Tested and full metal installed the following on a 2010 Netbook
        2Gb DDR3 RAM, 1.66GHz N455 Atom CPU with 60Gb SSD 64bit versions
        (with the exception of AntiX)

MX Linux – great for the tinkerer and techie in you with lots of default tools, utilities and apps to cater for most and more..

Sparky Linux – LXQT stable version, whereby users can change the Desktop Environment to anything supplied in their repository if they don’t like the DE supplied. Nice idea to keep folk on the same distro with GUI changing IMO

AntiX – didn’t need to install, run it from a USB Flash-drive (nice basic and functional with no onboard storage required in the device)

Peppermint OS – One of my safe havens since Peppermint 5, still on 9. An LXDE and XFCE hybrid with good functionality and low resources utilizing LXDE.

Some do need tailored to suit preferences but, that’s what Linux Distro’s are about!

Win8.1 Pro x64 + Linux Hybrids x86/x64 + Win7 Pro x86/64 O/L
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2286854 Reply
        Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

I put Mint Xfce x86 on my 2005ish single core laptop, and it worked well. I don’t really have a use for the laptop, but at least it can reach the internet if needed now. It’s a dual boot with XP.

Group "L" (Fedora 32 Linux w/ KDE Plasma).

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2286913 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Lubuntu is good on low power machines – I have a VM for testing which is fine with very few resources.

cheers, Paul

• #2286946 Reply
          Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

Haven’t tried the Lubuntu LXQt version yet (just released yesterday was 20.04.1 LTS) although I did quite like their LXDE version 16.04.2 LTS on the netbook. Usual issues with 10″ screensize that required some workarounds aside (as with most distros)

• #2287685 Reply
          Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

I did try lubuntu 20.04.1 LTS over the weekend..(LXQt/LXDE dropped by Ubuntu)
          No GUI USB formatter
          No GUI USB iso creator
          there is a CD Creator but..not for USB flashdrives
          That relationship didn’t last long ๐Ÿ™
          Another one chalked off.

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: The Best Linux Distributions for Old Machines

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.