News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • The demise of Windows 10 “Sets” – the part you won’t read about

Home Forums AskWoody blog The demise of Windows 10 “Sets” – the part you won’t read about

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

The Windows blogosphere was all alight yesterday about the announcement that Microsoft has given up on a feature called “Sets.” The feature showed up
      [See the full post at: The demise of Windows 10 “Sets” – the part you won’t read about]

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #830773 Reply

anonymous

I’ve heard that the most recent builds of Clover contain intrusive adware, and most people are migrating to QtTabBar.

There’s also TidyTabs, but the free version is quite limited (you have to pay to get the extra features)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #837355 Reply

doriel
      AskWoody Lounger

So… basically “set” works like windows bar, but you can group apps together. Interesting. good idea for notepad, cmd, …

Maybe they should “tune up” their multiple-desktop management that came with W10. I use switching between desktops in Linux, but Windows version is little bit stupid to me.

Cant tell its not working, but its not my cup of tea. Why is it so ssssslloooooowwwwww to switch desktops? Nice effect, but very annoying (try [WIN]+[CTRL]+[ left / right ], if you have enabled multiple desktops).

This should do the trick – learn Windows people to switch between more desktops.

• #838109 Reply

doriel
      AskWoody Lounger

Maybe they should just finish their multiple-desktop-management. I use multiple desktops in Linuxes, but windows version is not my cup of tea.

Its good idea to group same apps (windows bar is doing pretty well). But why group CMD and MS Word together? Then “save” this layout? Or whats the point if you have more desktops available?

Switching desktops in W10 is veeeryyy sslllooooooowwww and eye poking, but it works. I have to say I hate this effect when swithing desktops in W10, my eyes hurt.

• #839046 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

Maybe they should just finish their multiple-desktop-management

That would be nice, I was very disappointed with what was offered.
      1. Extra desktops need to be permanent—ie survive reboot.
      2. Facility—eg extra buttons in the Title Bar—to move Windows quickly between desktops.

I had those in the 3rd party software solutions I used in the 90s!

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

• #850155 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

The GOOD news, Microsoft to keep Paint in Windows 10, For now. 🙂

• #868900 Reply

anonymous

I think it was here that Stardock’s version of sets was mentioned.

Best $5 I’ve spent for a while and use it regularly. All windows, not just selected MS programs.

• #880255 Reply

enigmaxg2
      AskWoody Lounger

I think it was here that Stardock’s version of sets was mentioned. Best $5 I’ve spent for a while and use it regularly. All windows, not just selected MS programs.

Microsoft could team up with Stardock to make Sets, I’ve read that they joined forces to make Win7’s Aero, so that wouldn’t be surprising.

They also joined forced with Chromium to make their new edge, is not a taboo thing to do anymore.

• #884747 Reply

anonymous

It was made as a mockery of the fact that Stardock could make something work with everything, and it took MS endlessly to make something that only does some MS apps.

It appears to have been abandoned by MS above, as how can you compete with man power against a $ 5 program.

As I said, I love being able to drop everything into tabs at times.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: The demise of Windows 10 “Sets” – the part you won’t read about

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel