News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • The early view of November updates – we’re still at DefCon 2

Posted on Susan Bradley Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog The early view of November updates – we’re still at DefCon 2

Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Da Boss

I’ve posted up my early take on the November updates in Computerworld. More details and the Patch charts and listings will be coming up in the Askwood
        [See the full post at: The early view of November updates – we’re still at DefCon2]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

6 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2311501 Reply
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Homeuser Report: Not seeing any issues with Win7 Pro x86 ESU nor Win 8.1 Pro x64
        Using both daily and all patched on November 10th/11th, encountered no issues so far..
        Printer (canon Pixma) still present and functioning on both devices without further intervention post patching.

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
        4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2311522 Reply
        WSAnders Family
        AskWoody Lounger

Not sure where or how to post this. I run windows 10 Home edition. I use Microsoft Edge as my “default” explorer. Something happened recently (perhaps one of those “problem inducing” updates Windows updates?). What is happening is EVERY TIME I start/restart Windows, of when I wake it from screen saver mode, Microsoft Edge appears. Searching the Web I find that I need to run “gpedit.msc” to make some changes to the “Local Group Policy Editor”.
        1. Windows Home does not have gpedit.msc
        2. Little scared to run this if this is what is needed.

Any other idea’s? If not, can I download a copy of this program to run on my PC?

Thanks.

• #2311524 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Group Policy is part of the Win10 OS, available in the Pro Edition, but not in the Home Edition. It is not a program you can download and run in Win10 Home. To make it available, you would need to upgrade to Pro, a $100 purchase through the Microsoft Store.

I do not use Edge. But you might look through the Preferences/options to see it there is a choice “do not start when Windows starts.”

• #2311534 Reply
          Susan Bradley
          Da Boss

My guess it wasn’t an update.

Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Apps > Startup. Make sure any app you want to run at startup is turned On.

Do you see anything unusual there?  when the web page launches is it going to a specific page?  One thing I do is go into the old fashioned control panel, (search box on the computer, type in the phrase control panel, then go to programs and features and sort the listing of apps by date.  See if anything recently installed is something you don’t recognize and uninstall it.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

• #2311536 Reply
          anonymous

Start > Settings > Accounts > Sign in Options > Turn off use my sign in info …

• #2311609 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Set the Edge homepage to a simple page.
        … > Settings > On startup, Open a new tab.

cheers, Paul

• #2311922 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Installed November updates on 20H2 (Lenovo Y530, i7-8750H, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD)

CU KB4586781
        Flash KB4580325
        .NET KB4578968
        .NET KB4576478
        Flash KB4561600
        .NET CU KB4580419
        Servicing Stack KB4586864
        MSRT KB890830

No surprises.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by Alex5723.
      • #2312320 Reply
        WSAnders Family
        AskWoody Lounger

Checked settings.. All OK. Checked Control panel.. All OK. I Should have been more clear perhaps. The issue I am having is that Bing (running in Microsoft Edge) keeps coming up when ever I go out of “sleep mode”. It seems to point to other images I can use for my lock and/or Welcome screen.

• #2312323 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

In the Settings App\Personalization\Lock screen
          If you have chosen “Windows spotlight” for Preview I think you will see what you describe. If you choose “Picture” I don’t think you will get the Bing suggestions.
          Also turn OFF “Get fun facts, tips, tricks and more on your lock screen”

• #2312326 Reply
          b
          AskWoody Plus

When you click to dismiss the Lock screen with Windows spotlight set as the Lock screen background, it only performs a Bing search for information about the image if you click on one of the three image captions/comments (at top left, top right and screen center). If you click anywhere else on the screen, you can sign in without any search.

• #2312598 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

hi Susan

1809 recently got an out-of-band update this Tuesday afternoon of Nov. 17 – KB4594442:
        https://support.microsoft.com/help/4594442/
        https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=kb4594442

and KB4594442 can be installed on all editions of Win10 v1809 including the Home & Pro editions.

edit – KB4594442 seems to fix a recent Kerberos authentication problem

edit2 – more Kerberos authentication bugfix patches – this time for Windows 8 Embedded, Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 & 2012 R2

KB4594439 for Win8.1 & Server 2012 R2:
        https://support.microsoft.com/help/4594439/

KB4594438 for Win8 Embedded & Server 2012:
        https://support.microsoft.com/help/4594438/

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by EP.
      • #2313158 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

new preview updates released Nov. 20:

KB4586819 update for 1903/1909 build 18362/3.1237
        https://support.microsoft.com/help/4586819/
        KB4586878 .NET 3.5/4.8 preview update for 1903/1909
        https://support.microsoft.com/help/4586878/

KB4586839 update for 1809 build 17763.1613
        https://support.microsoft.com/help/4586839
        KB4588962 .NET 3.5/4.7.2/4.8 preview update for 1809
        https://support.microsoft.com/help/4588962

• #2313234 Reply
        rwolfor
        AskWoody Plus

There’s been a fair amount of questioning “when will 20H2 update” show up to download and install in Windows Update?

For those Windows 10 systems that have all the Windows Updates and still are not seeing 20H2 update offered, delete the System Files (e.g. Upgrade log files, Previous Windows installation(s), Temporary Internet Files, Error … files, etc.) using the “Disk Cleanup for Windows” app. (see screenshots)

On 3 of my 4 Windows PCs, 3 would not expose the 20H2 Update. After deleting the aforementioned files with “Disk Cleanup”, all 3 PCs exposed the 20H2 update. And 20H2 Updated without an issue.

Also, note the 20H2 OS Build Release number is 2009. Before update the number was 2004. See SysInternal’s BGInfo screenshot.

Screenshots – see attachment:

Screenshots_WindowsUpdate_20H2

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by rwolfor.
        • This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by rwolfor.
        Attachments:
      • #2313264 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

delete the System Files (e.g. Upgrade log files, Previous Windows installation(s), Temporary Internet Files, Error … files, etc.) using the “Disk Cleanup for Windows” app.

You don’t need all that. Just set ‘TargetRelease..’ to 2010 and wait.
        You can always install/download ISO for 20H2 : Directly from Microsoft using MCT, directly from Heidoc.net, using Rufus, using .bat file. Pick your choice.

• #2313490 Reply
        WSAnders Family

Yep, I no longer use the “Windows Spotlight” for Preview and I now use a Picture instead.  Probloem solved. No more Automatic Bing activations.

Thanks.

Viewing 10 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: The early view of November updates – we’re still at DefCon 2

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.