• The end of the road for Internet Explorer

Home » Forums » Newsletter and Homepage topics » The end of the road for Internet Explorer

• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago.
    Author
    Topic

PATCH WATCH By Susan Bradley Well, not quite. Sort of. Maybe. Partially. Over a year ago, Microsoft published the Internet Explorer 11 desktop app ret
    [See the full post at: The end of the road for Internet Explorer]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

At least it have native RSS support

At least it have native RSS support

I never did understand why RSS was removed from browsers. A lengthy discussion about its removal from Firefox made no sense to me. A basic feed based on the ATOM spec is very simple to parse and, to my eye, isn’t dangerous. Written in PHP, the parser is less than a page of code.

That said, I had one site in particular where the owner (RIP) wanted the feed. In 2017 I dropped it and reverted to plain text. My reasoning was that “push” (what we now call “notifications”) is less desirable than search.

You can still add them to Outlook. And, as it happens, to Vivaldi.

2 users thanked author for this post.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-windows-update-to-permanently-disable-internet-explorer/

While officially retired from multiple Windows 10 versions and not shipping with Windows 11, Internet Explorer will still be available on Windows 7 ESU, Windows 8.1, and all versions of Windows 10 LTSC client, IoT, and Server.

On systems running these Windows versions, the web browser will continue receiving technical support and security updates for the lifecycle of the Windows version it runs on.

only the “end of the road for IE” on certain Win10 versions

Apple announced its newest operating system release, iOS 16, which is currently in beta testing. There are many things about it that I’m looking forward to, including more support for passwordless authentication

iOS 16 Will Let iPhone Users Bypass CAPTCHAs in Supported Apps and Websites

Tapping on images of traffic lights or deciphering squiggly text to prove you are human will soon be a much less common nuisance for iPhone users, as iOS 16 introduces support for bypassing CAPTCHAs in supported apps and websites.

The handy new feature can be found in the Settings app under Apple ID > Password & Security > Automatic Verification. When enabled, Apple says iCloud will automatically and privately verify your device and Apple ID account in the background, eliminating the need for apps and websites to present you with a CAPTCHA verification prompt…

bypassing CAPTCHAs in supported apps and websites

How many are likely to “sign up” to Apple’s way of doing things? Will be interesting to see.

cheers, Paul

bypassing CAPTCHAs in supported apps and websites

How many are likely to “sign up” to Apple’s way of doing things? Will be interesting to see.

cheers, Paul

Will askwoody sign up ?

There are more than billion iOS users.~80% will run iOS 16/iPadOS 16 in 2-3 months.

Will askwoody sign up ?

Only if the software used here has that ability.

More importantly, who uses a phone to use this site?

cheers, Paul

IE has and will always leave a bad taste in my mouth. As a web site developer, the shenanigans MS pulled in the early browser wars irked me to no end. Always having to write two branches of code – one standards compliant and the other MS proprietary. Thanks for nothing MS.

Good riddance IE – you will NOT be missed.

1 user thanked author for this post.

And you get the captchas?

cheers, Paul

No, I am registered but some here do get it.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    Reply To: The end of the road for Internet Explorer

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: