News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• The MacBook Pro pre-2016 is back

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS The MacBook Pro pre-2016 is back

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

According to Ming-Chi Kuo 2021 MacBook Pro (14-inch and 16-inch) Silicon will come with MagSafe (original, not the iPhone charger), physical function keys replacing the Touch Bar, more built-in IO ports…

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Alex5723.
        • This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Alex5723.
        1 user thanked author for this post.
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Mark Gurman at Bloomberg has also an article regarding the new MacBook Pro

Apple Plans Upgraded MacBook Pros With Return of Magnetic Charging
        Company also preparing to add next-generation in-house Mac processors to new MacBook Pro lineup

Mark Gurman on the new iMac and Mac Pro : Apple Plans First iMac Desktop Redesign in Nearly a Decade

The new models will slim down the thick black borders around the screen and do away with the sizable metal chin area in favor of a design similar to Apple’s Pro Display XDR monitor. These iMacs will have a flat back, moving away from the curved rear of the current iMac. Apple is planning to launch two versions — codenamed J456 and J457 — to replace the existing 21.5-inch and 27-inch models later this year

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Alex5723.
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

I have been looking about for news on the forthcoming, externally redesigned M1 MacBook Pro in various places and all make reference that these new machines, expected to come out later on, will have, among several more or less definite features, such as having the touch bar replaced with old-school function keys and, on the other hand, less certain but possible changes, such a return of a computer card slot and HDMI and Ethernet plus the larger USB ports, besides the current all-USB-C ones.

But they also say that the shape of the new MacBook Pro laptops will have their top and  bottom “squared off.” Well, I have a MacBook Pro and its top and bottom have exactly the same perimeter shape and size and all their corners are 90 degree angles. When I close the machine, it looks like a single piece of metal with nothing sticking out above or below. That, to me, is the definition of two things being “squared off.” But nowhere in the many such articles I’ve scanned questing after clarity on this vexing issue, not one of them defines what it’s meant by “squared off” in this case, as it this was obvious to the whole of humanity, except me. Some also say that the new Macs will be “squared off” same as new iPads and iPhones. Looking at pictures of those, I see nothing special about the shapes of those either.

For example, this recent article in “The Verge” says:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/15/22232393/macbook-pro-2021-arm-intel-touch-bar-magsafe-kuo

The new MacBook Pro is said to have squared-off sides like the iPad Pro and the iPhone 12; the current laptop already has sharp edges, but it sounds like the top and bottom panels are going to be flatter than before as well.

I say: “huh?

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

“squared off.”

Flat sides like iPhone 12 vs curved in previous iPhones, iPads, Macs.

Attachments:
            OscarCP
            AskWoody Plus

Curved lids must be a relatively recent development, because my MacBook Pro ca. mid 2015 has a perfectly flat lid and body.

That plus the replacement of the touch strip with the function keys row at the top of the keyboard and also, if current speculation turns out to be correct con la addition of USB-A, HDMI and Ethernet ports, besides the USB_C ones as well a a computer card slot, would go quite a considerable way to being like a computer like mine, and why I bought it. Only with a larger screen

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

would go quite a considerable way to being like a computer like mine, and why I bought it. Only with a larger screen

And a way better Silicon Mx CPU/GPU 🙂

2 users thanked author for this post.
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Right.

And, at least in the first of the new Mx line, also a Neural Engine in this System on a Chip.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Right.

And, at least in the first of the new Mx line, also a Neural Engine in this System on a Chip.

That is given regarding the build of the Mx.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: The MacBook Pro pre-2016 is back

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.