News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • The new “Download and install now” link appears in Win10 version 1903

Home Forums AskWoody blog The new “Download and install now” link appears in Win10 version 1903

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by

alkhall 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

I’ll have more details about this shortly, but apparently last night Windows Update in Win10 version 1903 sprouted the link that we’ve been long antic
      [See the full post at: The new “Download and install now” link appears in Win10 version 1903]

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1212604 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

(It’s also nice for Win10 Pro.)

I have my 1809 Pro set to just notify, so I already have the “Download and install now” when going to Windows Update settings.
      I hope Microsoft won’t take away “Choose when updates are installed deferral settings; branch readiness, …

• #1212850 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

I believe the “Download and install now” has to do with accepting (asking for) the next “Feature” update/upgrade, not about the monthly cumulative updates through Windows Update.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #1214950 Reply

b
          AskWoody Plus

So did I, but the screenshot Woody posted here shows a Cumulative Update in that section.

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

2 users thanked author for this post.
          • #1217212 Reply

PKCano
            Da Boss

@b – see below

• #1217563 Reply

b
              AskWoody Plus

OK, but could you make your point obvious?

To me, even on re-reading that, it indicates that “Download and install now” was only intended to apply to feature updates, as we both thought. But Woody’s Reddit screenshot appears to contradict that?

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #1218031 Reply

PKCano
              Da Boss

Believe Reddit or believe Microsoft.

• #1223004 Reply

b
              AskWoody Plus

Normally the latter, but on this occasion … a picture’s worth a thousand words.

• #1215263 Reply

Tex265
          AskWoody Plus

Follow my directions in a post below to an article at the top of the page at the Window 10 Release Information site posted by Microsoft explaining much of this.  Coming to 1903 now, and later in May to 1809 and 1803.

Microsoft makes it easier to see acknowledged, outstanding problems with Win10

Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803 and Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64
      • #1216394 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

From Microsoft:

New features that put customers more in control of updates

With the release of the Windows 10 May 2019 Update, we are introducing new features that provide additional clarity and control over the update experience, both for feature updates and optional monthly non-security updates. New, straightforward controls were designed to help prevent updates from occurring unexpectedly and to make it very clear which type of update is selected. At the heart of this change is a new “Download and install now” option in Windows Update settings.

• Download and install now option provides users a separate control to initiate the installation of a feature update on eligible devices with no known key blocking compatibility issues. Users can still “Check for updates” to get monthly quality and security updates. Windows will automatically initiate a new feature update if the version of Windows 10 is nearing end of support. We may notify you when a feature update is available and ready for your machine. All Windows 10 devices with a supported version will continue to automatically receive the monthly updates. This new “download and install” option will also be available for our most popular versions of Windows 10, versions 1803 and 1809, by late May.

Screen-Shot-2019-05-02-at-3.59.16-PM

Attachments:
    • #1218484 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

Does “Download and install now” apply to feature updates (version changes) only – or to both feature updates and quality updates (cumulative updates, including the optional ones)?

I don’t know and I’ve been trying to figure it out – using the actual product, not Microsoft’s explanations. Not much luck so far.

Chris Hoffman at How-To Geek has some illumination but he, too, is having trouble getting the pesky little critter to show up.

If any of you are playing with 1903 (or seeing this in 1803 or 1809), please let me know! Be sure to mention if you’re using Pro or Home – and if you’re only seeing it for feature updates or (as Leopeva64 shows in the screenshot) for cumulative updates as well.

This is a Real Big Deal (TM).

• #1219011 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

I’m not seeing it in either 1803 or 1809 yet. I am current to the Security CUs on April Patch Tues. I’m sitting on SAC/365/0 so I won’t see the non-security Previews.

• #1221976 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

I can confirm that it’s on the Enterprise Evaluation version of 1903, clean install with a Local Account.

And, as Leopeva6’s screenshot shows, it’s blocking a Cumulative Update.

• #1242692 Reply

anonymous

Just more fog around the cliffs. Best thing is to disable automatic updates and install updates when proven to solve issues. Our schedule is to install feature upgrades once a year and other updates once every 3 months.

• #1278842 Reply

alkhall
      AskWoody Lounger

The old way was the best way, for experienced users anyway.

I understand grandmother may not comprehend how to select updates to install or not, but that is what Automatic Updates was for.

Let the user decide, period.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: The new “Download and install now” link appears in Win10 version 1903

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.