News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • The New Edge Forced Down My Throat

Posted on WarningU2 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        WarningU2
        AskWoody Plus

I’m getting annoyed with the Edge being rammed down my throat.  Not that it’s a bad browser.  It seems quite fast but I would have liked to have been asked if I wanted it.   I use Google Chrome as my default browser and now with the Edge being installed without my permission I have to select Chrome for a number of file types and app options that defaulted to Chrome before.   Seems MS has made it much more difficult to exclude the Edge.

I have used a third party app called bloatbox.exe successfully to remove some of the microsoft apps without issue.  https://github.com/builtbybel/bloatbox    It has an option to remove the Edge browser but I’m hesitant to do so, as many of the links within MS (i.e. help etc)  now default to the Edge even with Chrome as my default browser.   Has anyone totally removed the Edge successfully without issue?

• #2285871 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus
      • #2285917 Reply
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

To control the defaults by app go to Settings | Apps | Default Apps. In the right pane click on the link “Set defaults by app”. Find and click on Chrome. Click “Manage”. Make sure Chrome is the default for all the file types you want.

I recommend you leave Edge alone. It is handy to have more than one browser installed in case one introduces some errors in an update.

--Joe

• #2285927 Reply
        Elly
        AskWoody MVP

If you remove chromium Edge, you will get legacy Edge back… but you will still have Edge, in one form or another…

Non-techy Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint experimenter

• #2285938 Reply
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

I believe that Chromium Edge will be the default browser supplied with the OS in the next feature update this fall (2009?).

--Joe

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: The New Edge Forced Down My Throat

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.