News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • The new Macbook Pro keyboard

Home Forums AskWoody blog The new Macbook Pro keyboard

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  OscarCP 1 month ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss
    • #2005062 Reply

anonymous

I’ll admit scissor switches are better, but I’ve been using the butterfly keys for the past couple years without issue.  The travel hasn’t been a big turnoff for me since I’ve been a mechanical keyboard user for a while.

• #2005092 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

To remind everyone concerned about which machines are affected, there is information and a list here:

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/butterfly-keyboard-issues/

All MacBook models have the potential to experience keyboard issues because the 2015 MacBook was the first machine to get a butterfly keyboard. All 2016, 2017, and 2018 and 15-inch ‌MacBook Pro‌ models are vulnerable to failure despite some generational changes

My own 15-inch MacBookPro Retina, being a mid-2015 model, came out too early, missing out on the great butterfly innovation, is not in the list. So: Yay! Hooray! Woo-hoo!

Now, here is another excerpt from the same article, with that list:

What has Apple done?
      Apple in June 2018 launched a keyboard repair program for MacBook and ‌MacBook Pro‌ models equipped with butterfly keys, and in May 2019, the program was expanded to encompass all MacBook, ‌MacBook Pro‌, and ‌MacBook Air‌ machines equipped with a butterfly keyboard, including the new 2019 models.

MacBook (Retina, 12-­inch, Early 2015)
      MacBook (Retina, 12­-inch, Early 2016)
      MacBook (Retina, 12-­inch, 2017)
      ‌MacBook Air‌ (Retina, 13-inch, 2018)
      ‌MacBook Pro‌ (13­-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
      ‌MacBook Pro‌ (13-­inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
      ‌MacBook Pro‌ (13-­inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
      ‌MacBook Pro‌ (13-­inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
      ‌MacBook Pro‌ (15-­inch, 2016)
      ‌MacBook Pro‌ (15-­inch, 2017)
      ‌MacBook Pro‌ (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
      ‌MacBook Pro‌ (15-­inch, 2018)
      ‌MacBook Pro‌ (13-inch, 2019, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
      ‌MacBook Pro‌ (15-­inch, 2019)

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: The new Macbook Pro keyboard

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.