News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • The Ultimate Malfunction/Windows Nervous Breakdowns

Posted on Nibbled To Death By Ducks Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Outside the box Fun Stuff The Ultimate Malfunction/Windows Nervous Breakdowns

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Nibbled To Death By Ducks 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

Nibbled To Death By Ducks
      AskWoody Lounger

GoneToPlaid’s post about stress-relieving meds maybe being on the upswing since patches started going bad made me think of this:

Tech Gone Really Wrong:

One can look at this clip (1:36, short) of the classic movie “Dark Star”* and wonder if the Ordinance Officer in the foreground’ reaction reminds any of you of a similar reaction whilst a patch or update rips up your system…

https://youtu.be/WsrVw9Jwtio

(*Made in 1974 by Dan O’Bannon of Alien franchise fame; his first flick, shot for $60,000 USD! [about $230,000 USD now. it’s a hoot if you’re into sci-fi…it’s an Anti-Star Trek)

Don’t know about you, but that reaction around here has been seen a lot…the crew was probably running some future version of Windows…

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "A/B [negative] :)", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't check for updates-Full Manual Mode."
      --
      "The more kinks you put in the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the pipes!" -Scotty

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #327700 Reply

GoneToPlaid
      AskWoody Plus

Hah! I had all but forgotten about that movie. Our junior high school got a copy of the movie to show to all of us kids. I guess they should have watched it first, before showing it to us kids. They told us that it was nearly as good as Star Wars. Within 15 minutes all of us kids were ignoring the movie and talking to each other instead. After 20 minutes, the school cancelled showing the rest of the movie.

• #327701 Reply

Lars220
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks NTDBD, nice to have some humour around here. Here is another YouTube video, this one is only 1:20 minutes long and concerns a more modern look at technology failures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLc4yZ-A0Qo

Smart Homes for everyone coming soon to a neighborhood near you. Cheers 🙂

• #327765 Reply

AskWoody Lounger

Within 15 minutes all of us kids were ignoring the movie and talking to each other instead. After 20 minutes, the school cancelled showing the rest of the movie.

Gad. Talk about “Short Attention Span Theatre”!?! But kids that age can rarely appreciate satire….you have to live a little.

And watch tech break!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEABgEozZXM

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "A/B [negative] :)", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't check for updates-Full Manual Mode."
      --
      "The more kinks you put in the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the pipes!" -Scotty

• #327767 Reply

AskWoody Lounger

Thanks NTDBD, nice to have some humour around here. Here is another YouTube video, this one is only 1:20 minutes long and concerns a more modern look at technology failures. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLc4yZ-A0Qo Smart Homes for everyone coming soon to a neighborhood near you. Cheers  

Hilarious! Thanks!

I was doing some Valentine’s Day Shopping in a department store, and with a WiFi scanning app found two completely open, unsecured, non-password protected net-connected Smart LG refrigerators just waiting to be taken over. I notified the manager, who didn’t have a clue. Man, anyone could have turned that thing into a SPAM machine…it’s happened in the past, I think!

I will never have an Internet of Trash device in my home, period. And I’ve been in Tech in some form or another for 45 years. Uh-uh, no way!

--

2 users thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: The Ultimate Malfunction/Windows Nervous Breakdowns

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.