News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • There’s a fix for the bluescreen on the second March cumulative update for Win10 1809 – KB 4490481

Home Forums AskWoody blog There’s a fix for the bluescreen on the second March cumulative update for Win10 1809 – KB 4490481

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by

Elly 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

Remember the bluescreens many people reported after installing the second March cumulative update for Win10 1809, KB 4490481? For many people, install
      [See the full post at: There’s a fix for the bluescreen on the second March cumulative update for Win10 1809 – KB 4490481]

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #349757 Reply

rc primak
      AskWoody_MVP

This is apparently one more example of something we’ve been told for decades now.

The more you customize Windows, the more likely it is that you will have issues with future Feature Updates (Upgrades) and (now) Cumulative (monthly) updates.

I have long warned that shoehorning Windows 7 features (Media Center) into Windows 10 would someday result in a major issue with some update. I was wrong only in that I thought it would first show up in a Feature Update (Upgrade).

As for Windows Media Center, I know a few people who still think its Guide is better than those found on Kodi or Plex. Otherwise, not much to recommend one package over another.

The other major causes I’ve seen reported for major update failures are the overuse of Registry or System Cleaners, use of System Tweaking programs and using third party security programs which “protect” files or folders. Now (Windows 10 Version 1809) that Windows Defender also can protect files and folders (anti-ransomware) I am seeing the reverse — third party programs can’t properly update, including some third party security programs.

I know from my own experience that LibreOffice would not update if I left Protected Folders in place. I no longer use active third party security programs, so I can’t give advice on which ones Protected Folders might interfere with.

Turning on or off Protected Folders only takes effect after a system restart. So I turn off Protected Folders, restart, do my updates, restart, turn on Protected Folders, and restart once again. Kind of a pain, but it’s the only safe way to go these days.

While we’re at it, we should also from time to time be checking with products like Belarc Advisor to make sure the Microsoft security updates have been able to change critical system files. Belarc sometimes shows certain Microsoft Updates listed as successfully installed in our Updates History as Not Installed in its (Belarc’s) Security section. This is more often than not a correct alert, and indicates some third party program has prevented some system files (and/or Registry Entries) from being changed. The affected updates would then have to be reinstalled with all third party security products inactivated or even uninstalled, just as we’ve been told to do for Feature Updates. These are not errors or false positives.

Again, I no longer recommend third party active security products for Windows 10 Version 1809. This includes third party anti-ransomware products.

-- rc primak

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by
         rc primak.
      4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #349774 Reply

Cybertooth
      AskWoody Lounger

I can understand the desire to graft Windows Media Center onto Windows 10: it’s one of the few choices available if you want to record programming from encrypted cable channels, and unlike a DVR from the cable company, your storage capacity is limited only by the connectors on your PC. Plus, there’s the lure of probing the limits of Windows technology… as well as the undeniable rebel appeal of foiling the MS authoritarians’ designs for our computing environment.

To my mind, a more interesting question than why someone might want WMC, is how a type font, of all things, could come to have such a serious effect on a computer.

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #349796 Reply

rc primak
        AskWoody_MVP

The only thing I know about font packages which might raise flags in an OS is that some get “blacklisted” due to concerns about malware imposters. Sometimes the good gets thrown out with the bad. But how a blacklisted font could result in a Blue Screen is beyond my understanding.

BSOD crashes involving corrupted or malformed fonts are not unprecedented. For example, a bad font in Windows 7, 64 bits some years ago:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/crashing-win-7-64-corrupted-fonts/4ae1f12d-e646-494c-ba99-cfa2ab8ea222

One answer suggested this as a possible cause:

I’d say it was a font with a certain combination of glyphs that is causing the function bLoadGlyphSet in win32k.sys to free a null pointer.

So things like this can happen due to a bad, corrupted or malformed font. Some MS Updates have been accused of corrupting certain fonts and causing Blue Screen crashes as well.

But I suspect it all comes back to shoehorning older code into a newer Windows version.

-- rc primak

rc primak.
           rc primak.
           rc primak.
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #349802 Reply

anonymous

The font issue is probably related to this on the KB article:

If you enable per font end-user-defined characters (EUDC), the system will stop working and a blue screen will appear at startup. This is not a common setting in non-Asian regions.

MS perhaps haven’t figured out there are further reaching effects of this issue?

• #349794 Reply

krzemien
      AskWoody Lounger

(…)a more interesting question than why someone might want WMC, is how a type font, of all things, could come to have such a serious effect on a computer.

I do wonder exactly about the same. Especially that these very fonts come straight from MS stables.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #349834 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

woody:

there’s also a recent Softpedia news article on how to fix the blue screen problems caused by the KB4490481 update:
      https://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-fix-bsods-caused-by-windows-10-cumulative-update-kb4490481-525599.shtml

• #349855 Reply

anonymous

I am not sure about this fix. I do not have these fonts in my system, but I still get BSOD. Here is my story:

1. I ignorantly installed KB4490481. Then upon each restart I got BSOD – my Surface Pro 4 happened to drop on a carpet before restart so I even thought it was broken.

2. Without system restore, I had to reset my SP4.

3. After reset in fact KB4490481 was already installed but there was no more BSOD.

4. Then I tried to install a Chinese keyboard (IME). In the middle of installation it BSODed. Luckily when it restarted the installation was not successful so I could still use it without that IME.

5. Now I read this post and checked in my SP4, there is no these fonts.

6. The IME is here: [link omitted for security reasons]

7. The official support of this IME says KB4490481 has compatible issues with the IME, and the workaround is removing the KB. I removed the KB but I haven’t try the IME yet.

8. The point is, those 4 fonts are not the only cause, or the root cause of this BSOD.

• #349880 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

I wonder if that problem is associated with this acknowledged bug:

If you enable per font end-user-defined characters (EUDC), the system will stop working and a blue screen will appear at startup. This is not a common setting in non-Asian regions.

P.S. Sign up for an account! It’s much easier to keep track of our conversations that way. You can even use a throw-away email address. I don’t mind….

• #350139 Reply

oliver
          AskWoody Lounger

That’s true, Woody. I registered an account. Hoping there is official fix soon.

• #349886 Reply

anonymous

This fix that I have posted, only works if these reg entries exists in your current system (1809 and MCE 8.8.2 installed). If you chance your keyboard language it might not work. Before tomorrow updates, take backup!

• #350188 Reply

anonymous

The latest (Apr 9) update for 1809 (KB4493509) has the fix:

Addresses an issue that occurs when you enable per font end-user-defined characters (EUDC). The system will stop working and a blue screen will appear at startup. This is not a common setting in non-Asian regions.

If the BSOD font issue was related to the EUDC one then hopefully the problem will now go away.

• #350304 Reply

SteveTree
      AskWoody Lounger

That’s true, Woody. I registered an account. Hoping there is official fix soon.

WARNING: If you read via RSS program and follow links to open articles, when you log on you are taken to the home page, not the page you were reading.

Group A (but Telemetry disabled Tasks and Registry)
      Win 7 64 Pro desktop
      Win 10 32 Home portable

• #350314 Reply

Elly
        AskWoody MVP

WARNING: If you read via RSS program and follow links to open articles, when you log on you are taken to the home page, not the page you were reading.

Actually, any time you log in, it takes you to the home page, whether you come from an RSS program or are reading through the day’s posts here on the Lounge.

Click the back button on your browser to go back to what you were reading.

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: There’s a fix for the bluescreen on the second March cumulative update for Win10 1809 – KB 4490481

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.