News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Things to Do Before Making System Updates

Posted on geekdom Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Tech Accessibility Things to Do Before Making System Updates

Topic Resolution: Not a Question
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

Things to Do Before You Apply System Updates

If this were an ideal world, you wouldn’t need to do this stuff before system updating. But it’s not an ideal world, and updates sometimes fail. Make sure your computer, what you can change, isn’t the reason for failure.

If your computer has been running flaky before system updates, chances are updates are not going to improve operations.

•    Run DiskCleanup or your cleanup software of choice.

•    If necessary, defrag your system.

•    Optionally, run sfc /scannow.

•    Optionally, run chkdsk.

•    If necessary, reboot your system.

•    Run, at least, a quick virus scan.

•    Backup your system.

•    Save important files as a separate step from backup. If you have catastrophic failure and you need important files quickly, you have immediate access to them.

•    Exit optional software. Make sure your anti-virus software is active.

•    Now, check for updates.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        offline▸ Win7Pro SP1 x64 Storage
        online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.836 x64 i5-9400 RAM8GB HDD Firefox77.0 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
        3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #217056 Reply
        Bill C.
        AskWoody Plus

Good list!

I will only add one “best practice” additional step for new visitors.

Check and read AskWoody.com before you start, and wait for the DefCon level to change.

• #217184 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

geekdom,

I would add to your list, as a last step: “create a restore point, so the system can be returned to its state previous to the installation of the patches, if things go south after that.”

“Creating a restore point” and then “returning the system to its previous state” means: first using Window’s “restore” feature to save copies of all the System files (not the user’s own files), including the all-important Register, as they were just before patching — then patching and then, if there is trouble, using the restore point to replace the files changed by the patches with those saved copies, to return them, and the System, to their “previous state”.

That means that the patches are no longer installed and the problem has gone away, at least until one decides to reinstall the patches, or to install their allegedly corrected versions. If something else has gone wrong because of the bad patches, then having also backed up one’s own files, as per the previous points in the list, should make it possible to get over that as well.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

• #1876959 Reply
        bbearren
        AskWoody MVP

Good list, but for me, all those items are already taken care of via Task Scheduler while I sleep, so I’m always ready for an update/upgrade.

I don’t use System Restore and have it disabled.  I much prefer restoring a drive image, because I’m absolutely sure of what I’m getting in that restoration.  My system is split into multiple partitions/logical drives, and a restoration of any one partition (like my OS) takes ~6 minutes at most.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
        "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
        "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• #1876989 Reply
        RetiredGeek
        AskWoody MVP

I’m with bbearren here, NOTHING beats a drive Image for safety! HTH 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
        Computer Specs

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Things to Do Before Making System Updates

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.