News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Is this the best science fiction show ever?

Posted on OscarCP Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Outside the box Fun Stuff Is this the best science fiction show ever?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 58 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  wavy 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

This is Wavy’s fault ( #2013698 ), because he wrote elsewhere (and way off topic, I must add) that the best science fiction EVER is ‘The Expanse’, that one can watch right now in Amazon Prime.

I disagree, most bitterly: The best science fiction show, ever, was “Firefly”:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(TV_series)

And, although it is harder to classify as such, the best SF show that lasted longer than one season was, unquestionably, ‘Futurama’:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurama

Feel free to dissent here.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• This topic was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  OscarCP.
    • #2013947 Reply

Cybertooth
      AskWoody Plus

Well, not having seen every SF series that’s ever gone on the air, I feel unqualified to state what may or may not be the best SF show ever.  🙂

However, what I can say confidently is that my personal all-time favorite SF series is the original “Star Trek.” Sure, the production values were hokey and the acting a bit lacking, but the show just soared (so to speak) on the story lines.

I can also tell you the worst SF series I’ve ever seen.

• #2013954 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Cybertooth: I feel somewhat disappointed with your choice of the original Star Trek. I would have thought that ST the Next Generation was much superior: among others, it had both Spock AND Data, Patrick Stewart’s Captain Piccard (who was, unquestionably, so much superior and more interesting than William Shatner’s C. Kirk), Commander Worf, Klingons, plus, as a bonus, Marina Sirtis as Deanna Troi, the well-rounded Betazoid Counselor AND Lwaxana Troi (played by Roddeberry’s wife Majel) as her very interesting mother! The original ST just couldn’t compete. It didn’t had Scotty, but Levar Burton’s Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge was no slouch as Chief Engineer, even when he was blind and the dilithium crystals were always such a big problem for him.

But, good as that was, I still maintain that “Firefly” was the best.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• #2014224 Reply

wavy
        AskWoody Plus

I think I watch a half an episode , but I guess I fell into the trap of the superlative myself with my ‘best’. Such that look good and prove aweful, such disappointment..

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
        • #2014282 Reply

wavy
          AskWoody Plus

I should have said my above reply was in response to Cybertooths worst :Another Life !

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
          2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2013956 Reply

Cybertooth
      AskWoody Plus

After the Star Trek drought of the ’70s and most of the ’80s, I eagerly watched TNG when it came out, as well as Voyager and Deep Space 9. While TNG was a welcome return of the franchise, IMO the stories were of inconsistent quality, certainly less consistent from week to week than those of the original series. Some episodes I found rather sophomoric (sorry, couldn’t tell you any more what those episodes were, only my recollections from the time).

And in my view, the major characters didn’t mesh together as well as those of the original series. It was more of a hodgepodge of moderately interesting characters. By contrast, the interplay between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy was almost Freudian in nature, where McCoy represented the id (emotional), Spock the ego (rational), and Kirk the superego balancing  their respective considerations. To quote a certain Vulcan, I found that interplay “fascinating.”  🙂

Not that TNG was devoid of memorable moments. My favorite episode, because of its startling nature, was one where Beverly Crusher wandered about the Enterprise while chunks of the ship kept disappearing into nothingness.

Don’t get me wrong: I did enjoy watching TNG. But the original ST provided more consistent enjoyment/enlightenment for me. As a friend once put it, the stories were morality plays, which had us thinking afterward. Much (most?) of the time after the end of a TNG episode, that  was the end of my engagement with the story.

• #2013993 Reply

tonyl
      AskWoody Lounger

Yup, the original Star Trek for me. Unless you’re counting Red Dwarf  of course.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2014271 Reply

wavy
        AskWoody Plus

Can’t say I have heard of that one, it on Netflix DVDS so maybe…

🍻

• #2014283 Reply

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Wavy: ‘Red Dwarf’ is known in the USA just to the “most seriously into British TV” audiences. I used to watch it, now and again, on my local PBS station, that also replayed, every year until some years ago, (when SyFy bought the rights, but never did anything besides sitting on them) the whole of what was kept by the thrifty people at the BBC (after wiping out several tapes to reuse them for something else) of the old ‘Doctor Who’ in a double header with RD.

RD was not too bad, but a step down from ‘Doctor Who’, in my opinion. I did not know it is now on Netflix. So you may watch it there and make up your own mind about it.

• #2014320 Reply

tonyl
          AskWoody Lounger

Erm…it’s a sitcom. Plenty available on YouTube if you want a quick taster.

• #2014002 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Well, at least I can be very slightly happy that, so far, nobody has mentioned “Battlestar Galactica (reimagined)”. Because the less said about that one, the better. I actually liked the original Battlestar, the one created by a Mormon and with several hints (or so say those who have read it) to passages in the Book of Mormon. At least it was fun in a goofy sort of way, unpretentious, obviously low budget and using technology in their (presumably, with enough suspension of disbelief) super duper, tremendously advanced battle starships that was NOT mid-Twentieth Century, such as retro land-line chunky phones with rotary dials and wall clocks “to confuse the enemy” (and to save money on props?), according to the second version fans. The only consolation, in the middle of all the disappointments with the “reimagined” one, was President Roslin. But she was not enough. No, not even near enough.

But I can’t imagine people, as boldly as you please, declaring that anything is better than Firefly. Is it possible that there are no Browncoats here at all? Oh, the humanity! And what about Futurama, huh? How about it?

And I also liked “Supernova”, in BBC two; I saw a few episodes when I was staying in Newcastle for a while. Maybe I was the only one who enjoyed it? I really enjoyed the episode where they thought that they had seen God with one of their advanced telescopes (it was interference from a microwave  or something kike that) and wrote a paper about it, then all of them pressed on the “Return” key together to email it to  prestigious astronomical journal. I can really sympatize.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  OscarCP.
      • #2014356 Reply

JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

I agree on Firefly!!! 🙂 Probably the saddest ever experience when that came to an end! 🙁

But I have to admit that I did binge watch the new “Battlestar Galactica” (2004), with Katee Sackhoff, Edward Jmaes Olmos, & Tricia Helfer, etc. Guilty pleasure! 🙂

• #2014389 Reply

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

JohnW: I do appreciate you bravely coming out and expressing a wisely favorable opinion about the most magnificent  glory that was ‘Firefly’. Sadly to good for this world, shone so brightly but briefly in the clumsy hands of Fox producers. Much as befell Matt Groening’s amazing Futurama: more about the latter… later.

As to your guilty feelings about liking ‘Battleship Galactic (reimagined)’, I have this to say: don’t be too hard on yourself — nobody is perfect! And do not forget that the way to repentance is always mercifully open to the fallen sinner. Who can always atone by watching ‘Futurama’, thus enriching the mind and enlarging the soul (Stephen Hawking himself participated in a couple of episodes, his robotic computer-generated voice most in agreement with the élan of the show)  And to those unfortunate few who do not know already about ‘Futurama’, please have peek here, and weep:

https://slate.com/culture/2019/10/futurama-where-to-start-watching-nixon-head-episode.html

The 11 Best FUTURAMA Episodes

Presently available on DVD and, streaming, at Hulu, or so I’m told.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  OscarCP.
    • #2014006 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

I vote for Black Mirror (not Netflix), Firefly, The 4400.

• #2014285 Reply

wavy
        AskWoody Plus

I vote for Black Mirror (not Netflix), Firefly, The 4400.

I thought I was going to like this one (on Netflix) but the first episode just turned me off, there is such a thing as a second chance however.

Let me throw in not a “best” but a “worth it” : Dark. Its a time travel mystery type that you need ( at least for me) a score card to keep track, there are a few sires that help keep the characters straight in your head. New season (3rd) being filmed so it passes the one season wonder test of Ascaris!

🍻

• #2014043 Reply

access-mdb
      AskWoody MVP

I like DS9 and have been quite interested in the new ST Discovery. Another favourite of mine is Farscape. Firefly is quite good – however it suffered from being cancelled too soon. I’ve just started watching Serenity – no plot spoilers please.

I like the fact that ST (pretty much all series) doesn’t take itself to seriously, with little asides taking the rise out of themselves. Tubes marked GNDN*, Jefferies Tubes after the set designer.

David Ogden Stiers (Charles Winchester MASH 4077), appearing as Timcin, with 4077 appearing in the display in front of him. And there’s Q’s comments in All good things – ‘seven years of La Forge’s techno bubble”! The list is endless.

*Goes nowhere, does nothing

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2014142 Reply

Vincenzo
      AskWoody Lounger

Defiance, now on Amazon, deserves mention here.

• #2014296 Reply

wavy
        AskWoody Plus

Defiance was another excellent one!

🍻

• #2014173 Reply

Vincenzo
      AskWoody Lounger

My favorite TNG episode was the one where a young Famke Janssen played an empathic metamorph who could seduce any man (“The Perfect Mate”).

https://www.google.com/search?q=tng+the+perfect+mate&client=firefox-b-1-d&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=G6ohmrce3hRSOM%253A%252Cju4RULvxME8VAM%252C%252Fm%252F09x4ky&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kRjIS7e7s0j7-8FZJrRwuEq8KilFQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjorI7kiprmAhW1PH0KHVcMDgwQ_B0wbnoECF4QAw#imgrc=G6ohmrce3hRSOM:

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  Vincenzo.
      • #2014306 Reply

Charlie
        AskWoody Plus

Yep, and how could you not love Minuet in 0101.

Win 7 Home Premium, x64, Intel i3-2120 3.3GHz, Groups B & L

• #2014177 Reply

Ascaris
      AskWoody_MVP

The original Twilight Zone is certainly in the upper part of the list. It opened the door for the later series, and a lot of it holds up well even today.

I liked all of the Star Trek series and movies from the original series to the end of Voyager and Nemesis.  I never really got into Enterprise or any of the newer movies, though.

I never saw Firefly, having never heard of it until long after it was canceled, and given how everyone says it was such a disappointment that it ended too soon, I don’t plan on seeing it or its movie spinoff, Serenity.  I’ve really come to loathe getting started on a series, finding I really like it, only to find that it was canceled.  Netflix is littered with one-season works in progress that will never be finished, and now I tend to avoid starting any series that hasn’t already run to completion.  The one-season ones don’t stand a chance… when I see they’ve only got one season, I just pass right by.

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.17.4).

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2014211 Reply

Cybertooth
        AskWoody Plus

If The Twilight Zone counts as science fiction, then it zooms right to the top of my list of favorite SF series. Right up there along with it go The Outer Limits and my personal favorite among “creepy TV” series, the underrated and largely forgotten One Step Beyond.

Regarding single-season cancelled series, we were recently caught by this trap with the Canadian series Endgame. We greatly enjoyed it but were left dangling by the cliffhanger in what turned out to be the final episode, as the series got cancelled after the first season.

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2014255 Reply

willygirl
        AskWoody Plus

Twilight Zone ranks high with me, I have the entire collection. My cousin was in one or two episodes, then she went over to Mr Ed series, go figure. At least her Alfred Hitchcock appearance was a closer match with SciFi. Star Trek original series was great too.

Win7 SP1 Home 64-bit, GrpA

• #2014218 Reply

wavy
      AskWoody Plus

This is Wavy’s fault ( #2013698 ), because he wrote elsewhere (and way off topic, I must add) that the best science fiction EVER is ‘The Expanse’, that one can watch right now in Amazon Prime.

I disagree, most bitterly: The best science fiction show, ever, was “Firefly”:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(TV_series)

And, although it is harder to classify as such, the best SF show that lasted longer than one season was, unquestionably, ‘Futurama’:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurama

Feel free to dissent here.

• This topic was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  OscarCP.

Well I will say that is a very strong contender for #2, just a little weak in the S part of SF. I will say it has my favorite theme music.

🍻

• #2014253 Reply

Seattle27
      AskWoody Plus

Doctor Who ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwHcV0-uzGc

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  Seattle27.
      • #2014259 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

In answer to various misguided comments and some spot on ones: Yes! Doctor Who! Particularly, in my preferences, the old episodes from the 60’s and 70’s (which I religiously followed in Australia’s ABC when TV in Oz was still in marvelous black and white), that then was a show with the low-budget look and feel of having been filmed in “someone’s backyard” as a fellow Who fan once put it (I’ve liked Eccleston’s Who the most, in the current decently funded series.) Not to say it is best than ‘Firefly’, I would put it not too far behind ‘Futurama’…

And in answer to Wavy’s contentious remark that “Well I will say that is a very strong contender for #2, just a little weak in the S part of SF. I will say it has my favorite theme music.

Well, sure, the music and particularly the song are great (both performed by the genius that is Joss Wheedon (Buffy, Dollhouse) in his own guitar). But “a little weak in the S part of SF”? Seriously? It is the only TV SF series ever, as far as I can remember, where the spacecraft don’t make loud rumbling engine noises as they race by in the vacuum of space (OK: this show and ST). And have another look at the series’ pilot episode, where they go and plunder a derelict spaceship. Tell me, if you dare, that that is not as realistic as it can be (OK: except the part where they have some kind of artificial gravity aboard their own, Firefly-class ship, but the use of “rubber science” has been acceptable since its very beginning in SF as a plot device — e.g. H.G. Wells’ cavorite.)

And, while ‘Firefly’ ended way to soon, the individual episodes are, each, among the best ever in their genre and the last one DOES NOT END IN A CLIFF-HANGER!.

And ‘Farscape’ is definitely well up there. The ‘Twilight Zone’ is, properly speaking, more in the dark-fantasy and horror side of the plain fiction spectrum.

I must also add that the very honorably third place in the “best SF shows ever” category unquestionably belongs to “Babylon V”.

• #2014270 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

And, lest we forget, a big shout out for the ‘Outer Limits’. With one of the best ever SF episodes shown on TV: ‘Inconstant Moon’, that was based on a short story of the same name by Larry Niven (in his “All the Myriad Ways” anthology).

• #2014309 Reply

wavy
        AskWoody Plus

I did not remember that one Oscar so I wikipediaed, it sounds like a good one. Those solar flares have a lot of potential to do great damage, I read that one in the 1800s knocked out Telegraph lines. There is much speculation what a direct hit would mean. Looks like a fast track to the Second Stone Age, for the few who survive the famine and resulting conflicts. I don’t think the highrise would help, a farm at least a hundred miles from a city, maybe.

🍻

• #2014298 Reply

Charlie
      AskWoody Plus

It seems we’ve touched on most of the good ones and I liked most of them.  The early SF shows were really hokey compared to later shows, but the first show I really got into was Outer Limits in the late 50’s and 60’s.  After that the next show I really liked a lot was Star Trek TOS (the original series).

It’s a bit hard to pick one show as the “best ever”, but I’d have to say all of the Star Trek series.  Most were very well written (with exceptions of course) and entertaining.  I also must give an “honorable mention” to “The Sarah Connor Chronicles” which also ended too soon.  I’m a Terminator fan too.

Win 7 Home Premium, x64, Intel i3-2120 3.3GHz, Groups B & L

• #2014299 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

An honorable mention for the sadly truncated ‘Flashforward’. In my opinion its creators sin was to be burdened with too many plot twists: it would have been even better if they had stayed closer to the original story by Robert J. Sawyer.

• #2014310 Reply

JohnW
      AskWoody Plus

I put “Farscape” way up there on the list! Lots of favorites, though! 🙂

• #2014337 Reply

JohnW
      AskWoody Plus

Also worth an honorable mention: “The Orville” – TV series (2017-2020)

“The Orville” is an American science fiction comedy-drama television series created by and starring Seth MacFarlane for the Fox Broadcasting Company.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5691552/

A comedy-drama send up of Star Trek. Good times!!! 🙂

Set 400 years in the future, the show follows the adventures of the Orville, a not-so-top-of-the-line exploratory ship in Earth’s interstellar Fleet. Facing cosmic challenges from without and within, this motley crew of space explorers will boldly go where no comedic drama has gone before.

• #2014518 Reply

Firefly, hands down. May the boneheads who cancelled it broil in Date’s Level of Those Who Have Sinned Against Art.

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "Wait for the all-clear", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't check for updates-Full Manual Mode."
        --
        "...All the people, all the time..." (Peter Ustinov ad-lib from "Logan's Run")

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2014354 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

And to include here some SF novels-almost-ready-for-their-TV-versions that I would like to watch on the small screen: Neil Stephenson’s ‘The Diamond Age’ and ‘Snow Crash’, as well as his recently published ‘Seveneves’, that is long enough to get the prequel, main show and sequel out of it. Many of Sawyer’s books. Several of Scalzi’s books, including the soon to be completed ‘Collapsing Empire’ trilogy, with the third book out next April. (And with certain words blipped out, as I would expect in this weirdly so-permissive-but-oh-so-straightlaced age we live in.)

• #2014511 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Æon Flux by a country mile.

cheers, Paul

• #2014658 Reply

wavy
        AskWoody Plus

Whats your opinion on the film version?

🍻

• #2014918 Reply

Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

Didn’t watch the film version. Part of the appeal was the manga style of cartoon.

cheers, Paul

• #2014704 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Paul_T: Oh, thank you so very much! That was the one I was trying to remember the name of and failed to do so! A splendid show, indeed!

But not better than No. 1: ‘Firefly’; No. 2: Futurama, or even No. 3: ‘Babylon 5’…

An outstandingly good candidate for No. 4, though!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%86on_Flux

(The link looks funny (why?), but it is a good one — just hover the cursor on it and then you’ll see it in the clear. And, gentle reader, don’t you go and “look the other way” when you see the cry for help in the black bar on top of this — or any other — Wikipedia page these days.)

• #2014523 Reply

anonymous

My vote goes to Babylon 5 from J. Michael Straczynski.

I has 110 episodes in 5 seasons.

(A quote:  If you go to Z’ha’dum, you will die.)

• #2014711 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

No one is voting for Doctor Who ?

• #2014728 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Alex 5723: ‘Doctor Who’ would have been a good candidate for No. 3, after the absolutely indisputable leaders, ‘Firefly’ and ‘Futurama’, had it not been for the overly-long tenure of the appropriately named David Tennant as the 10th Doctor. I never much cared for his (and Moffat’s) take on ‘Who’, although most of the show’s fans were always salivating (so to speak) so rapturously about him and those way too many episodes where he appeared.

• #2014732 Reply

Microfix
      Da Boss

For me, the John Pertwee era was the best of Dr Who (viewing from behind the couch at times) 😮
      ‘lost in space’ could be last or could it? Where did Dr smith get all his stuff from..sneaky sabateur

********** Win7 Pro x64 | Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

• #2014741 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Patrick Troughton (2nd Doctor) , Tom Baker (4th Doctor), Chris Eccleston (9th Doctor) and Matt Smith (11th Doctor) rank about equally as the best of all Doctors, for me. Pertwee, that as I remember it, played the suavest (least cranky/wacky) Doctor and the first one shown in color TV, was pretty good, too.

Now, when it comes to companions, the field is wide open for controversy.

My vote, in no particular order of precedence, goes to: Romana I, Tegan, Rose Tylor, Amy Pond and Riversong. And K9, of course.

• #2014757 Reply

Microfix
          Da Boss

ah, for us that would be a wooden PYE color CRT TV with 6 channel buttons and 3 terrestrial TV channels..
          this was one of the longest visuals I’d seen on the BBC, often thought the sound was broken
          testcard

********** Win7 Pro x64 | Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

Attachments:
          • #2014822 Reply

tonyl
            AskWoody Lounger

Her face is beginning to ache from holding that smile…

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  tonyl.
            • #2014960 Reply

tonyl
              AskWoody Lounger

Hmm…tried to attach a picture to that but couldn’t get it to work. Try googling “Carole Hersee”.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  tonyl.
    • #2014775 Reply

wavy
      AskWoody Plus

Speaking of StarWars Disney plus now has The Mandalorian streaming. I think I will wait for one season to be complete and binge watch on my free trial.

BTW reading the Privacy statement I am surprised I will not have to submit a cheek swab and retinal scan..🤬

🍻

• #2014787 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

About ‘The Mandalorian’: I have been reading some good things about it, but from doing that, have found no indication, so far, that there is anything really humorous in it. If there is, and plenty, I might wait to buy the DVDs, if Disney ever decides to start releasing them. Otherwise I have no interest in yet another dark, grubby and depressing story (with plenty of jumping around, shooting, blasting and gory killings) that is what, way too often, passes, these days, as profound and serious drama.

So, Wavy, please, let me know what you make of it, if you go ahead and start watching.

• #2014793 Reply

wavy
      AskWoody Plus

Gonna be a month or so but Much of the social media reaction has been to the show's breakout character, a 50-year old "infant" of Yoda's species that The Mandalorian initially takes for a bounty but ends up becoming its de facto guardian in order to protect it after it has shown to have the powers of The Force. The character has been nicknamed "Baby Yoda",[11] a misnomer since Yoda himself died of old age in Return of the Jedi before the events of the series. The unexpected popularity of "Baby Yoda" led to an explosion of merchandise for the Christmas and holiday season, which quickly sold out.[75][76][77] from Wikipedia
      😏

🍻

• #2014851 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Question: Does anyone here know if there is some place on the Web where one can find either the script, or some decent animation based on the (script by Douglas Adams of one episode of Doctor Who to be called ‘Shada’ that, of course, never got to be aired, first, because of labor strikes and, afterwards, because of why not? There were in circulation, back in 2017, rumors that a new partially animated version (with the few “live” parts that got to be filmed with the actual actors and with parts that were pure animation filling in the gaps) was going to be released on DVD and one-time digital download.

There was also, many years ago, an animated version that was, I’m sorry to say, unwatchable, because it was on a BBC’s server that must have been actually a Commodore PC pressed into service for this purpose. Download rate was something like one bit per month, more or less — in a really good month, that is.

• #2014889 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Screen-Shot-2019-12-05-at-12.15.19-AM

Well, surprise, surprise. The video of “Shada” is available from Amazon Prime, for $ 2.99! I’ve bought and watched it and is, as expected, a combination of live action (the parts that were actually filmed) and as animation the ones that were in the script but never got to be actually shot. Both live action and animation blend very nicely, the voices of the animated parts are those of the actual actors, and the animation is OK, not terrific but serviceable. As it was always in Doctor Who in its “classic” epoch, so the style of the animation fits well with the very slow moving alien monsters, the basic pyrotechnic effects, the obvious fade outs when someone disappears into another dimension and the rest of it.

And the whole thing bears the unmistakable imprint of Douglas Adams’ deadpan wit throughout all 2 hours and twenty seven minutes of it.

Attachments:
    • #2014925 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

Whats your opinion on the film version?

i liked the film version and have it saved in my movie collection.

• #2014931 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

‘Aeon Flux’, the movie, was panned by the critics, getting 9% out 100% from them in Tomatometer and a 39% “d***ing with faint praise” from the viewers, but I did not see it myself, so I don’t have a personal opinion.

The original animated  TV show was, from a graphical point of view, very nicely done; shown on MTV in the early through mid 90s, the series came as a shock to audiences that had never seen something quite like it on TV before. It was a trailblazer for adult-themed TV shows, such as those playing, years later, on the Cartoon Network progrm “Adult Swim”. How ‘Aeon Flux’ may impress someone watching the TV show these days is probably going to be probably rather different from what it was when first seen on MTV, as plenty of water has flowed under the bridge since those days.

• #2015046 Reply

Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

If you have Adult Swim it is worth checking out Rick and Morty. It reminds me of Quads in that it goes places most would consider too far.

cheers, Paul

• #2015227 Reply

OscarCP
            AskWoody Plus

In reference to Paul_T  ( #2015046 ) who wrote “If you have Adult Swim it is worth checking out Rick and Morty. It reminds me of Quads in that it goes places most would consider too far.

First things first: Thanks!

Now, three things I feel must write here:

(1) First of all: apologies all around for misplacing my entry on ‘Aeon Flux’ in the middle of an exchange on the ‘Mandalorian’. (Also, I’m not really sure that AF was science fiction, it could be equally well described as belonging to a genre all its own.)

(2) ‘Adult Swim’ is a jewel and a shining light of indie rebelliousness in a world swamped with pretentious, pompous and toxic arrant nonsense both on TV and pretty much everywhere that, these days, with the amazingly widespread use of cell phones, is used by probably most people, even in the poorest and, or most backward places, to get their news, catch a show, or to communicate among themselves.

(3) As per (2) above, ‘Adult Swim’ was the place where Matt Groening’s slyly subversive science fiction show ‘Futurama’ took refuge during its long exile and where it was replayed in its entirety, for years and years, after the Fox ‘suits’ cancelled it one star-crossed day that shall forever live in infamy, because they could, having failed to kill it less obviously already, poisoning its Nielsen ratings by scheduling it at the most unwatchable times, or right after some big championship game where the follow-up commentary was likely to run overtime. That worked a treat for them, so they did the same thing again when they decided to get rid of ‘Firefly’.

• #2014926 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

About ‘The Mandalorian’

I am watching ‘The Mandalorian’ and think it is just OK, nothing special.

• #2014953 Reply

access-mdb
      AskWoody MVP

Ahh, Douglas Adams – therefore let’s not forget Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. First the brilliant radio show, the great TV series and the film, which was good. To those of us who listened to the radio series, the following attempts were a bit lacking. This was because of those who played the parts were indelibly marked on our memories (well it was for me!)

Peter Jones as the guide was just too good. Was it really 1978 it was broadcast? And 1981 the TV series? Wow!

• #2015010 Reply

OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

For many years, I only knew of Adams’ ‘Hitchhiker’ books, which I read one after the other as they came out. They were very popular and I had a number of conversations about them with perfect strangers that had read them and now saw me reading one, or else were reading one themselves, while on a train, ferry, or in other situations that bring together people that do not know each other and have nothing much else to do but wait for long stretches of time.

The movie was something of a disappointment, but later on I concluded that this was inevitable, because much of the books’ charm is in the observations and comments of the author, rather than in the action. The dialog is also part of that charm, but the only part of it that can be readily put in a movie.

I haven’t seen the TV show, but I imagine that my comment on the movie applies also to it, for the same reason.

• #2015248 Reply

wavy
        AskWoody Plus

The movie was so-so. The books were good, I still remember the game on my first computer, I think I still have the ‘Don’t Panic’ pin that came with it. I think I was only able to listen to one radio episode.
        Thanks for all the fish! 🐟🐬

🍻

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Is this the best science fiction show ever?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel