News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Three little programs to defeat them all . . .

Home Forums Tools Three little programs to defeat them all . . .

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ScotchJohn 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

WSNTLS
      AskWoody Plus

Ever hear of WinPatrol, Bill sold to Bret Lowry and with that one you can be assured nothing will get on your system without you knowing. The other two are WinPrivacyFirewall and WinAntiRansomWare known as WAR. Just do a search from your favorite Search Engine and you can BLOCK/Quarantine any thing you wish. They have all been running on my system since they were created. I purchased them all several years ago, as a matter of fact WinPrivacy and WAR were not even programed yet when first signed up. WinPrivacy became WinFireWall or WinPrivacyFireWall and they are POWERFULL. Look them up and learn what you can keep out . .

WSNTLS ‘d’ “LoneWanderer”

May the "CREATOR" shed the ever "Love Light" upon thee . .
      TIA, CU L8R,
      'd' "LoneWanderer"
      "Adults are obsolete children." Dr. Seuss
      Do not walk in front of me, NOT a follower,
      Do not walk behind me, NOT a leader,
      Walk beside me we will get through this life as ONE!
      Original author Unknown

• #1847755 Reply

NetDef
      AskWoody_MVP

Back when Bill owned/developed WinPatrol it was a decent product for it’s time.

My personal opinion is that things went downhill after that.  In spite of ransomware and other threats being a very fast moving target, it does not appear that WAR has received any updates in about a year.  Add to that the fact that they have had an expired (in February) SSL certificate for several months, with no apparent effort to renew, and that (according to several other forums) no one has been able to contact their support system for many months . . .

I think it’s dead, Jim!

Which is a shame, as for certain home users it was a decent layer of mitigation.

Any security product that has not kept up is no longer a trusted security product.

~ Group "Weekend" ~

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1849935 Reply

ScotchJohn
      AskWoody Plus

I have given up on Brett Lowry’s two later developments, WinPrivacy and WinAntiRansom.  They were obviously not going anywhere, and not receiving any updates.  Bill’s original WinPatrol still appears to do me some good, and is still on my machines.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Three little programs to defeat them all . . .

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.