• thunderbird send problem

Author
    Topic

hi

i use win 10 and thundrerbird to collect mail from outlook.com. recently its become necessary to press send  a second time to send a mail. very occasionally i dont need to and if sending from a list of addresses displayed it works as normal

any ideas appreciated

thanks mark

Viewing 9 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

What happens when you click send? Do you get any error messages?
      Check the TB logs for sending issues. Tools > Activity Manager.

cheers, Paul

What happens when you click send? Do you get any error messages?
      Check the TB logs for sending issues. Tools > Activity Manager.

cheers, Paul

just says failed to send, cant find any logs maybe because its latest version

thanks

Open the Error Console.
      Tools > Developer Tools > Error Console.

If you need to turn on SMTP logging, see this page: https://wiki.mozilla.org/MailNews:Logging#Logging_Tools

cheers, Paul

still cant find the file so i cant tell if its empty, any way there dosent seem to be introductions in that article for finding it either

i found the error council. should i post some part of it here

thanks

i found this:

Successfully loaded OpenPGP library rnp.dll version 0.16+git20220124.f06439f7.MZLA from C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\rnp.dll RNPLib.jsm:100:15
      Found 0 public keys and 0 secret keys (0 protected, 0 unprotected) RNPLib.jsm:301:15
      Trying to load C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\libotr.dll OTRLib.jsm:64:11
      Successfully loaded OTR library C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\libotr.dll OTRLib.jsm:72:13
      NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE: PreferDisplayName: undefined – not a boolean AddrBookCard.jsm:364
      NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE: PreferDisplayName: undefined – not a boolean 13 AddrBookCard.jsm:364
      mailnews.smtp: Command failed: 451 Timeout waiting for client input [LO4P265CA0230.GBRP265.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM]; currentAction=_actionEHLO SmtpClient.jsm:514:19
      mailnews.send: Sending failed; An error occurred while sending mail: Outgoing server (SMTP) error. The server responded: Timeout waiting for client input [LO4P265CA0230.GBRP265.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM]., exitCode=2153066732, originalMsgURI=imap-message://xxxx%40outlook.com@imap-mail.outlook.com./INBOX#118075 MessageSend.jsm:335:27

[Moderator edit] removed email address

The error message suggests Outlook is waiting for you to provide the SMTP password. Normally you would let Thunderbird save the password and then supply it automatically.

I would check the SMTP server settings for your account. Tools > Account Settings, scroll down to Outgoing Server (SMTP).
      The settings should be:
      SMTP server name smtp-mail.outlook.com
      SMTP port 587
      SMTP encryption method STARTTLS

Check the password is saved / reset the password
      Tools > Settings > Privacy & Security > Saved Passwords
      Look at the SMTP server.

cheers, Paul

The error message suggests Outlook is waiting for you to provide the SMTP password. Normally you would let Thunderbird save the password and then supply it automatically.

I would check the SMTP server settings for your account. Tools > Account Settings, scroll down to Outgoing Server (SMTP).
      The settings should be:
      SMTP server name smtp-mail.outlook.com
      SMTP port 587
      SMTP encryption method STARTTLS

Check the password is saved / reset the password
      Tools > Settings > Privacy & Security > Saved Passwords
      Look at the SMTP server.

cheers, Paul

hi, just looked and seems to be in order as you say. [just to be sure you are aware: it always sends immediately when i cancel and then resend. so surly it must be remembering the SMTP password]

however there have been 3 or 4 instances out of maybe 10o where it sends first time and one instance where i needed to make 3 attempts to send a mail

thanks

I’d turn on smtp logging and use it for a while to see what’s going on. You need a few failed login attempts to be able to work it out.

Alternatively, backup the mail, delete the Outlook account from TB and recreate it.

cheers, Paul

thanx everybody…getting a bit beyond me

I have the exact same problem. The Send Message error says, “Sending of the message failed. The message could not be sent because connecting to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.telstra.com failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again.

Apart from not knowing how to verify the settings, I don’t actually need to because I just click “Send” again and the email sends with no problems.

Please help.

“Server unavailable” suggests a DNS / connection problem.
        Does it happen regularly?
        If you wait 5/10 minutes and send another mail, does it work?

cheers, Paul

long time ago but fixed now, dont remember hoe, thanks

Viewing 9 reply threads
    Reply To: thunderbird send problem

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: