News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • thunderbolt3 on an all ASUS system win10 pro 1809 64 bit fresh install

Posted on cptomes Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Questions: How to troubleshoot hardware problems thunderbolt3 on an all ASUS system win10 pro 1809 64 bit fresh install

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  PaulK 4 months ago.

• Author

cptomes
      AskWoody Plus

This has been driving me nuts for weeks.

A VERY patient customer had us fresh install win10 pro 1809 on a rebuilt pc.  We had sold him the original win8.1 machine several years back.  ASUS x99-a, 64gb ram, 250gb ssd, 2tb hdd.  He uses it for Adobe Premiere editing.  He discovered the SSD was much faster so he used it as his work space.  Except it’s the os boot volume. Filled it up, killed it with read/writes, it’s shot.

So we put 2x new 480gb sata ssd in it, mirrored using the Intel RST chipset.  Installed an Intel 512GB m.2 nvme ssd for his new work space.  Installed Windows 10 Pro 1809 64 bit on the mirrored sata ssd.  Installed the ASUS ThunderboltEX3 card (which IS listed as compatible with this mlb).  Updated bios, installed all the ASUS supplied drivers.

The mirrored sata ssd are working perfectly.  The Intel m.2 nvme ssd is working perfectly.

External Thunderbolt chassis is a OWC Thunderbay6 with 6x 6tb Seagate drives and a 512gb Intel nvme ssd.  It sees the Thunderbolt bus because the indicator light changes to blue.  At connection to Thunderbolt the drives all seek.

The problem is that most of the time Windows never sees the disks.  I have gotten it to see the disks three times.  Once, I then created a Windows Storage Space on the 6x 6tb disks plus the Intel m.2 ssd that is in the Thunderbay6 chassis.  (Windows in theory figures out that the m.2 is smaller and faster and uses it for cache?  Still trying to get details on that.)

Second and third times the disks mount I ran CrystalDiskMark and got spectacular speed tests on the mirror set, the m.2 on the logic board, and the Thunderbolt RAID.

Most of the time the Thunderbolt connected stuff just doesn’t show up in Windows.  ASUS says it’s not their problem.  Intel says their stuff is working.  OWC says if the light turns blue then the OWC hardware is all working.  Microsoft is … unaware and doesn’t care.

Any advice?

This is doubly frustrating to me.  I’ve been all Mac since 2009 after doing desktop and server support since the late 80s in the winblows environment.  In the Mac world, Thunderbolt has been the most reliable and fastest bus since  …  2011?  Here we are 8 years later and this conglomeration of c**p isn’t reliable?

Someone out there has done this and knows how to fix it.  I’ve been hammering Google and DuckDuckGo for weeks and there’s nothing that helps.

Hey look! Another Feature Update!

You mean I shouldn't click Check for Updates?

Why does it keep saying "Something Happened"?

• #790150 Reply

PaulK
      AskWoody Lounger

Big Disclaimer – I can only spell Thunderbolt, but have zero real knowledge of it.

My instinct, for what it is worth, is that there is a timing (race?) problem, somewhere in the hardware/microcodes.

One Google Search hit for [ asus thunderboltex 3 not working ] is here. After reading the first page (Sept 2017) I skipped to the last page, then backed up to page 7. Posts 65 and 66 there, pertaining to a different TB3 card, has a diagram about PCIEX slots. Previous posts are negative on the ASUS TBEX 3 card.

There are other Google searches that start with [ asus thunderboltex 3 … ].

If you’ve been through all this already, I apologize for the wild goose chase.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: thunderbolt3 on an all ASUS system win10 pro 1809 64 bit fresh install

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.