News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Time it takes to post a thread

Posted on WShlewton Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody Central Suggestions about improving the Lounge Time it takes to post a thread

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        WShlewton
        AskWoody Plus

I have trouble posting a new thread. it seems to take forever to post after I hit the “Submit” button, I’m talking over a minute, at least.  I have a very fast download speed at 475 Mpbs and a fairly good upload speed at 25 Mbps so I don’t think it is on my end. Is this site experiencing much of this? If not what should I do?

Thanks.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2283059 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

I see delays like that from time to time. Not sure what causes it, but the site reverts to its snappy self after an hour or so.

• #2283087 Reply
          anonymous

It hasn’t been snappy for a day or two.

• #2283079 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I have the same experience with posting new/reply posts. Sometimes it takes 2 minutes after which the post just vanish 🙁
        I am on 1Gb Optic Fiber connection.

• #2283084 Reply
        WShlewton
        AskWoody Plus

Glad it is not just me. I have been getting in the habit of copying my post before I try submitting it in case it vanishes I won’t have to start over.

• #2283086 Reply
        7ProSP1
        AskWoody Lounger

Ditto for me.  I do the exact same thing.

Yesterday, I posted two replies which I thought had successfully posted but it was not the case as they simply vanished.   By the time I realized they weren’t there, I had already copied something else to the clipboard.  🙁

• #2283093 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

I have experienced some delay when starting a new thread and submitting the first comment, but never more than a minute or so. I can live with that.

Comments sometimes vanish “to be moderated” as soon as they are posted by registered loungers, particularly if they include more than on URL link to some article online.

Occasionally the comment just vanishes with no message, even when there is no such link in it, but mostly when one has posted it already and then edits it within the ten minutes or so window for editing. It helps to wait some twenty seconds (counting slowly to twenty) between editing and submitting again, but sometimes it may vanish even so.

Woody posted a comment on this problem  of fast vanishing comments some time ago, explaining that such disappearing posts was a problem with the spam blocker used in this site.

What happens in all these cases is that the vanished comment ends up in a sort of “lost and found directory” in AskWoody, from where some overworked MVP has the dubious pleasure of reviewing it and then returning it to the thread where it was posted. It is better not to resubmit the vanished poster (that complicates things for whoever takes care of the problem), but to wait, instead, for it to be returned to the thread, as it is most likely to happen. If that does not happen, then I would send a message to “Customer Support”, treating this as a service problem, using the link to CS just below my user’s icon, at the top of the brown sidebar.

It is a good idea, once a comment is ready to be posted but before pressing “Submit”, to copy its text to a text document, in case one needs to show it to “Customer Service”, or really has to be re-posted, because the original has been lost. Not likely, but not impossible either. Finally, it i possible that the vanished comment is not re-posted because the MVP who retrieved it found it clearly objectionable and deleted it, but this never has happened to me in this way, and I am not someone famous around here for his invariably bland comments.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

• #2283121 Reply
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

seeing that also but, multiple edits don’t help things

Win8.1 Pro x64 Linux Hybrids x64 Win7 Pro x64 Offline
    Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Time it takes to post a thread

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.