News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Time of Post

Posted on ScotchJohn Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  ScotchJohn 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

ScotchJohn
      AskWoody Plus

Sometimes, I become confused as to the time of posts on AW.  I’m transferring from WSL, which had a time zone adjustment feature to the actual time zone of my machine.  However, I’m assuming that everything on AW is set to CST, GMT -6.

Do I have this right?

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

• #323575 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

That is correct. Server time is Central time US

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #325320 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

… and something else we need to fix when the dust settles …

• #323582 Reply

Elly
      AskWoody MVP

Between friends, family, and the folks at AW, we are spread across the globe. I started using an extension called FoxClocks, that lets me set up desired time zones in my status bar, so I can quickly see, not only the time, but the actual day that it is for the person/persons I’m trying to communicate with. There was a time that I could quickly figure out these things, no problem… sigh… but at least, now, I just take a quick glance… and it does help me figure out the AskWoody time difference for me.

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

• #323596 Reply

anonymous

For the global community if by the minute precision is needed. In the past the server has observed the US Central Time Zone Daylight Savings Time offset. Presuming this continues, this year on Sunday 10 March at 0800UTC, server time will move from UTC-6 to UTC-5.

• #324845 Reply

ScotchJohn
      AskWoody Plus

Elly – thanks.  We have lived in CST, but have been back in GMT since the turn of the century, and have to make the adjustment manually.  Yes, I have the FoxClocks add-on for Firefox; Andy McDonald has done a nice job with this add-on.  I just wanted to make sure that I had not missed anything.

• #325297 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

set up desired time zones in my status bar, so I can quickly see, not only the time, but the actual day that it is

I use the Windows clock for that, I currently show 3 times i need to know for US, Eu & Australia.

R-click the clock

Click Adjust date/time

In Date & Time window, on the right side click ‘Add clocks for different time zones’.

ClockWinAdd

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

Attachments:
      2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #325354 Reply

RockE
      AskWoody Plus

set up desired time zones in my status bar, so I can quickly see, not only the time, but the actual day that it is

I use the Windows clock for that, I currently show 3 times i need to know for US, Eu & Australia.

Similarly, mine shows US Central Time, London and Kathmandu.

Image or Clone often! Backup, backup, backup, backup......
      - - - - -
      Home Built: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek HD Audio

• #325504 Reply

Elly
      AskWoody MVP

The Windows Clock is limited to three time zones… and on my Windows 7 I have to hover to see any but my time.

Fox Clock looks like this for me:

Fox-Clock

It is there when I glance, and gives a more colorful and detailed view. It can be customized… and allows for more than two additional time zones (I’m showing you three).

Win 7 Home, 64 bit, Group B

Attachments:
    • #326259 Reply

Lugh
      AskWoody_MVP

The Windows Clock is limited to three time zones

That’s funny Elly, I never noticed that before! Probably because I’ve never need 4 zones. Live & learn 🙂

Btw it’s the same on Win10, 3 zones limit.

Lugh.
      ~
      Alienware Aurora R6; Win10 Home x64 1803; Office 365 x32
      i7-7700; GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400; 1TB SSD, 256GB SSD, 4TB HD

• #326283 Reply

ScotchJohn
        AskWoody Plus

Of course, I had forgotten about Windows Clock, where I already had three time zones set, UK, still a single time zone, though the jury might be out on this, US Central, and Melbourne (my best man), which changes on odd dates that take me by surprise.  Now, of course, having such a useful tool means that MS might deprecate it in the next update.  Just wait!

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Time of Post

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.