News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Time to make your “Net Neutrality” opinion known to the FCC

Home Forums AskWoody blog Time to make your “Net Neutrality” opinion known to the FCC

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by

OscarCP 1 year ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

The official submission form for the FCC’s deliberations – “citizen input” – has been posted. Whatever your position, post it here:http://apps.fcc.gov
      [See the full post at: Time to make your “Net Neutrality” opinion known to the FCC]

• #52955 Reply

mikethekey
      AskWoody Lounger

Reclassify internet service providers as common carriers.

• #52956 Reply

sanda

I was unable to figure out how to leave a comment. It suggests they are not that interested in having a lot of comments.

• #52957 Reply

John H.

Hi Woody,

Time to stand up and be counted. This is what I wrote on the form: “Not since SOPA, PIPA and their ilk have I seen such a disasterous course of action as I’ve witnessed in the FCC’s proposed changes this May. This is the biggest threat to “net nuetrality” (and therefore the growth of the internet as a free means of communication and a proponent of entrepreneurship and economic growth) to date. I urge you to reclassify internet service providers as common carriers to prevent the obstruction and monopolistic control of the Internet by corporations and privileged (i.e. I.P. Trolls) individuals. It should be a sobering thought to you that even such huge companies as Google, Amazon, Ebay, Netflix and Microsoft agree that this woud be a Very Bad Thing. Thank you for your consideration.”

• #52958 Reply

rc primak

Where Net Neutrality makes a difference to me is when I’m streaming videos from places which are not Netflix, You Tube, or Hulu Plus. With my slow DSL connection, any streaming is iffy, but when traffic is “prioritized” by AT&T, watching videos even at 3Mbps can get pretty frustrating.

I sided with Woody and commented that ISPs should be reclassified as Common Carriers like Utilities or Over The Air broadcasters. With more and more homes having only VOIP for phone service (or VOIP plus cellular) the analogy with Utilities looks even closer to everyday realities.

It’s not as though Internet access should be viewed as a basic Human Right, like food, housing and healthcare. But it’s about like landline phone service, which last I read is still mandated to be made universally available everywhere without discrimination.

And when was the last time a phone call got dropped or got a very bad connection just because it wasn’t “paid for”?

• #52959 Reply

Dick Rossi

Reclassify internet service providers as common carriers.

• #52960 Reply

John

Hi Woody,
      I certainly support MS and any who condemn this outright effort to suppress free speech, a tactic which has become a halmark of this administration.
      However, your comment to the FCC needs explanation. Your comment and intent is not at all clear to those of us who are not intimately familiar with the technical and financial issues ‘common carriers’ face, or avoid.
      Please, provide a short explanation of your suggested comment.

• #52961 Reply

sanda

If I may answer John’s comment: DemocracyNow a radio and tv show has been covering the story for a long time and has good information in a clear format that even I, a slow learner in the tech world as an old woman, can understand. All their shows for years are archived, free, with search engine, transcripts and videos available. Just type in “net neutrality” http://www.democracynow.org

• #52962 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

@john

I have a three-part discussion of my stance on net neutrality, in a series of Windows Secrets Newsletter articles. Start at http://www.WindowsSecrets.com

• #52963 Reply

sanda

I went back to the FCC website and this time I was able to file a comment. Yay.

• #52964 Reply

Bill Branon

Reclassify internet service providers as common carriers

• #198877 Reply

cesmart4125
      AskWoody Lounger

Woody wrote a several excellent comments about this some years ago.  If your subscription hasn’t run out, these are still available at htps://windowssecrets.com

A quote from one is as follows:
      There’s a proposal on the table that Congress really should consider. I know it’s an impossible dream, but cloud guru Paul Venezia suggests that the U.S. take steps to make Web access fast, reliable, and cheap for everybody. “Here in the U.S., we’re doing the exact opposite, as fast as we possibly can.” Paul’s proposal, published in an InfoWorld story, is to classify ISPs as common carriers — just as are phone companies. We then commoditize broadband, with “true, free-market competition.” He — and many, many others — suggests we treat Internet access like electricity, water, and sewer. The devil’s in the details, but it sure sounds like a great first step to me.
      For those of us who just want a fast, reliable, cheap, content-independent Internet connection (as is already available in many areas outside the U.S.), the Comcast/Time Warner Cable deal raises all sorts of red flags. But once you have the facts, the Comcast/Netflix deal doesn’t.
      The June 19 edition of WindowsSecrets has this article: The Fiber-to-Home Gigabit Experience.  In his article, Lincoln Spector  discusses why many of us pay more for internet service and get slower speeds than many parts of the world.

Hope this provides more food for thought.

PS

Germany makes telephone companies provide quality service by permitting its citizens to change companies at any time.

Edit to remove HTML.
      Please use the “Text” tab in the entry box when you copy/paste.

Attachments:
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #198990 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

Last year Cascadian started another forum on Net Neutrality in the “Rants” section:

Open forum on ISP's vs. Neutrality

There, starting last month and with the end of Net Neutrality at hand, I joined in and we exchanged opinions on this topic, with him expressing the prevailing view favoring the use of the Internet free from constraints as to the type and volume of content distributed through the “pipes” whose access is provided, and controlled, by the big telecoms such as Verizon, AT&T and Comcast. For my part, I agreed completely with the basic idea of those telecoms operating as common carriers, under the old FCC Net Neutrality rules now overturned by the new FCC. But I was, and am also concerned about the very fast and large growth in the volume of traffic largely dedicated to entertainment, retail shopping and other not quite absolutely necessary uses, that have to coexist with traffic essential, these days, to the functioning of industrial societies like ours, in the USA. Such as: control and telemetry of power stations and the electric grid they feed energy into, among other vitally important public utilities, transmission of scientific and engineering data, including in real time, for many useful and even essential applications, timely conduct of financial transactions and exchange o documents and technical information, remote access to very large data sets for scientific, medical and other immediate uses and also for basic research purposes, access to supercomputers at large computing facilities, and so on and on. And to the very large already existing and quickly expanding volume of traffic, one might have to add the possible coming of The Internet of Things that, as imagined by those promoting it, would require to have practically unlimited bandwidth at its disposal.

All this, at a time when not much is being done to develop further the capacity and coverage of the present infrastructure (and some of what is being proposed to that effect is plain wrongheaded  #194910 ). A complete policy for the rational use and development  of the Internet should include not only a guarantee of free and unhindered access to it by both providers and users of content, observing and safeguarding the principle of Net Neutrality in its operation, but also plans for modernizing with new technologies (e.g.  https://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/wireless/twisted-light-could-dramatically-boost-data-rates ) and extending the reach of the actual infrastructure with the goal that even the remotest and most isolated farm and the tiniest hamlet can have access to affordable and reliable wide-band connections. Something that this nation owes to itself, has the resources and the know how to do, but it’s not really trying hard enough to do.

At this time, all I, or probably anyone, can offer here are some questions. But to start moving forwards we need to find the right questions if we want to end up with the right answers.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Time to make your “Net Neutrality” opinion known to the FCC

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.