• Tired of memorizing so many passwords? Here comes FIDO!

Home » Forums » Cyber Security Information and Advisories » Code Red – Security/Privacy advisories » Tired of memorizing so many passwords? Here comes FIDO!

Author
    Topic

“Too bad: The alternatives aren’t better yet” – Los Angeles Times Opinion Piece

“To live a secure digital life, we rely on passwords — an average of 100 per person. Fernando Corbató declared this a “kind of nightmare.” The late MIT professor would know; he was credited with inventing the password.
    “An ensemble of global business leaders calling themselves the FIDO Alliance, so named for “Fast IDentity Online,” wants to ditch this norm. Alliance members Google, Apple and Microsoft doubled down this month on their commitment to a password-less world, suggesting users switch to “a simple verification of their fingerprint or face” — or biometrics.”
    But that’s maybe no better:
    (Moderator: I think this fits the forum, but if not, please move it to another one more appropriate-Thanks.)

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", 12GB RAM, Group "0Patch", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations. Linux Mint Greenhorn
    --
    "Sure I had a plan; Everybody's got a plan until you get hit in the teeth."

-A Very Famous Boxer

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    Author
    Replies

That is an interesting article. My first and foremost reaction is a practical one. Is switching to face recognition or fingerprint an attempt to kill desktops? I hate laptops. I use desktops at home and don’t access the internet away from home (or at home) on my iPhone and own no tablet and have zero intention of getting one. Desktops don’t come with cameras attached (and I don’t have one or ever intend to get one) nor do they come with fingerprint recognition. Thus, this article struck me as being primarily about attacking desktops…geez. 🙁

Alliance members Google, Apple and Microsoft doubled down this month on their commitment to a password-less world, suggesting users switch to “a simple verification of their fingerprint or face” — or biometrics.” But that’s maybe no better:

There is generally no such thing as a free lunch. If one enjoys digital slavery, and putting all of your hyper-sensitive data in the hands of hegemonic companies unencumbered by social compassion, then by all means go password-free. Otherwise I’d commend to you the work of people who include Shoshanna Zuboff, Naomi Wolf, and those of the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

Finance, social and tech founder. Managing director of new crowd sourced games in pre-release development. Director on a new consortium to bring fractional ownership of heritage antiquities to the blockchain. My planet-wide talk show for people craving new stories by which to live is Casual Saints.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    Reply To: Tired of memorizing so many passwords? Here comes FIDO!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: