News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Today, June 7th, was Apple’s WWDC 2021 Marketingfest.

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems Today, June 7th, was Apple’s WWDC 2021 Marketingfest.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Author
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Today at the Apple WWDC 2021 “Marketingfest” (my name for it), Tim Cook and Co. presented new software for the various devices that Apple makes and sells, and what I am particularly interested in, the new macOS version, called “Monterey” that will be coming out this (Boreal) Autumn and is now being released in beta to selected testers and, later, to a broader group of testers and developers. If there was any new hardware announcement, I missed it. But I should make clear that, personally, I am only interested in Macs, not “i” gadgets, so I paid attention only to what is in it for me as a Mac user. So any hardware changes might be found during the parts of the presentation dedicated to the “i” gadgets, that I skipped.

Well, there was plenty in the part about Macs that others might find useful, for example the ability to work with an iMac, a MacBook Pro, an iPad and an iPhone at the same time, moving things among them using any of these devices to control that movement and also what any of the other gadgets is doing. It is supposed to be intended, as invariably something like this is said to be, to increase productivity and — emphasis here — help one focus on the task at hand. Although it is not clear to me how can anyone focus on the task at hand and keep all those devices simultaneously up in the air without dropping any, so to speak. But maybe someone else can explain this here.
        There was also plenty about Safari, the browser, and its allegedly improved look and feel.
        I got the impression that the redesign is meant to be particularly helpful to people that, for whatever reason, need, or like to have lots of tabs open at the same time. I don’t need that, so I would let someone else explain this as well.
        I thought one of the developers’ tools was interesting: “Object Capture” that, as its name suggests, allows one to create a 3D image of an object that can be viewed in the round, from various angles while “moving” it continuously around to inspect it, using as data a set of ordinary 2-D photos taken with, what else? an iPhone, also from various angles. And a source code editor called “Concurrency” that (as I understood it) makes it possible to write programs for parallel execution and collapse the resulting source into a few lines of code a human can read and understand, without the usual zillion of lines of decorations such as ‘}’.

Now here is the actual show:

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2021/?cid=CDM-USA-DM-P0021170-477829

WWDC is Apple’s annual Worldwide Developers Conference where developers can attend sessions and meet with Apple engineers.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

• This topic was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by OscarCP.
    Viewing 0 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Today, June 7th, was Apple’s WWDC 2021 Marketingfest.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.