News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Today the I’m not Worthy for 2004 is totally Gone

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1909 – November 2019 Update Today the I’m not Worthy for 2004 is totally Gone

• This topic has 15 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Author
        Tex265
        AskWoody Plus

Running Win 10 V1909 Group Policy – Windows Update 2, Feature Update 365 days delay, Quality Update days 0.

This morning I checked Settings>Windows Update to see if anything new:

The previous Feature Update pending area and picture is completely gone, and my window is back to the way it use to be.

Has MS changed something again, or am I now eligible for Version 2004 Update, but it won’t show due to my Feature Update 365 day delay setting?

Capture-1

Capture1

Windows 10 Pro x64 v1909 and Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 (RIP)
        Attachments:
      • #2288557 Reply
        Tex265
        AskWoody Plus

Additional note: Quality Updates installed thru July,  August being held via wushowhide.

• #2288569 Reply
        Brocktoon
        AskWoody Lounger

It may mean nothing at all.  I’ve been running win10 Home 1909 and have had Win10 2004 available on Windows Update as a ‘download and install’ option for a while now.  In the past couple weeks the option has disappeared and then reappeared from day to day.

I think it may just be a bug with the Update screen not always showing the 2004 status.

• #2288573 Reply
        anonymous

You have Feature Updates deferred for 365 days.
        You won’t see the Feature Update for 365 days.
        That is what your settings are telling Window Update.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2288592 Reply
        jayinalaska
        AskWoody Plus

You prompted me to look and my “You’re not worthy” notice is gone, too. I have not applied August updates yet. Since I have feature update deferrals set to 120 days currently, I’m also not seeing a download link.

I’d say this means Microsoft is ready to deliver 2004 to us, now, although I have no idea why my PC was considered unworthy. I’m not sure that I care that it was unworthy, either.

• #2288641 Reply
          anonymous

Set Feature deferral to 50 days and you will get 2004 if it’s caompatible with your machine.

• #2288655 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

2004 “blocked” no more for me! 🙂

Now my old HP computer with a very old nvidia graphics 6150se adapter is worthy of the 2004 feature update – upgrade block for that one was lifted yesterday Aug. 13.

status of Issue with older drivers for Nvidia display adapters (GPU) and 2004 has changed and has been resolved with at least KB4568831 & higher with this note:

Resolution: This issue was resolved in KB4568831 and the safeguard hold has been removed as of August 13, 2020. Please note, if there are no other safeguards that affect your device, it can take up to 48 hours before the update to Windows 10, version 2004 or Windows Server, version 2004 is offered.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by EP.
      • #2288657 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

The disappearing of ‘2004 not ready’ doesn’t mean that the PC is suddenly ready, without any drivers, software… updates.
        It is just Windows Update service/page bug.

• #2288759 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

First we had ‘Your PC is not compatible with 2004’.
        Then Microsoft changed the wording to ‘2004 isn’t compatible with your PC’
        Now Microsoft has removed the notification altogether.
        Windows 10 1909 Pro July updates.

Attachments:
        • #2288979 Reply
          Tex265
          AskWoody Plus

Yes, that’s exactly what I pointed out to begin with.  Three (3) days later and the notice hasn’t returned.

I don’t want to chance asking for ver 2004 so I am not going to try out options, but I still wonder if this means my computer is now worthy, but like the old days, I am not going to see anything with my Feature deferred setting of 365 days.

• #2290067 Reply
        schwabel_ronald
        AskWoody Lounger

I have an old machine that I don’t use much.  It does have Windows 10 Pro 1909 with the July patches on it. I occasionally power it on and let it get the monthly updates when you lower the Defcon the first week of the month.

Since I am not dependent on that old machine, I decided to see what would happen when I removed the “pause updates” this morning.  As expected, it automatically started checking for updates.  Then it just started to install 2004.  There was no notification that a Feature Update was available asking me to click on a button to download and install it.  Since I had been expecting to be asked before I installed the Feature Update, I did hit the pause updates and it aborted the install.

After thinking about it, I decided to resume updates again and let it install.

Then I went to my main Windows 10 Pro 1909 system which I am currently using and resumed updates on it, thinking I would be fairly safe since I have the Group Policy Under Windows Update for Business set to target Feature Update version 1909.  I was really surprised when it also started installing 2004.  I immediately hit the pause button again and the installation of 2004 stopped.

It looks like Microsoft really wants everyone to install 2004 now.  The Target Feature Update Version policy didn’t seem to prevent being forced to install 2004 without even asking if I wanted it.

Was there something else that needed to be set so I would be considered in the Windows Update for Business rules?  I did check the Advanced Options of the Windows Update page and didn’t see anything that would allow me to select anything.

• #2290068 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Any time you use Pause then Resume Updates, ALL the pending(available) updates download and install without notice. That is the standard action when you Resume Updates, and that is the problem with using Pause with other settings. It ignores all the other settings when you resume and dumps the lot.

Please see AKB2000016 Guide for Windows Update Settings for Win10 for an explanation of the settings and how to use them without getting surprises like you got. There is a section for each case and screenshots below to demonstrate where the settings are located.

• #2290075 Reply
            schwabel_ronald
            AskWoody Lounger

I have had the Target Feature Version set to 1909 for quite some time so I thought I would only get quality updates for 1909 and the Feature Update to 2004 would be suppressed.

• #2290069 Reply
          Alex5723
          AskWoody Plus

You should set GP = 2 Notify don’t download.

Attachments:
          • #2290073 Reply
            schwabel_ronald
            AskWoody Lounger

Yes, I have had that set for a long time.

• #2290074 Reply
              PKCano
              Da Boss

The “2” doesn’t work it you use Pause.
              Resume Updates ignores it.

• #2290166 Reply
                Paul T
                AskWoody MVP

If you have paused, is there any way to go back to using the GPO settings without installing everything?

cheers, Paul

• #2290179 Reply
                PKCano
                Da Boss

You cannot hide the updates b/c the Pause keeps them from showing either in the queue or wushowhide.

I think this will work (I have not tried it):
                Disconnect from the Internet/network.
                Resume Updates – the download will fail.
                Do not re-enable Pause.
                Reconnect the Internet – I think the next scan will respect the “2” (notify download/install)

If you don’t disconnect, when you Resume Updates, it will ignore the “2” and download/install without notify.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2291235 Reply
        anonymous

The message disappeared from my update page too, but a week or so later a new message informed  it is now ready to download and install. So be prepared. I haven’t installed it yet.

Viewing 9 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Today the I’m not Worthy for 2004 is totally Gone

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.