• Today’s updates crash Outlook 2010

Author
    Topic

The usual swag of monthly updates arrived today, and I downloaded what I wanted, installed and did the usual reboot. Went to open outlook and the start page came up for about 10 secs and immediately shut down. Tried a few more times with the same result. Rebooted again, no change. Obviously was working before I installed the updates, so did a system restore and back to normal, so at least for my version of Office 2010 there was a bug that junked my outlook starting up.

Viewing 13 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

See here.

It seems that KB3097877 is at fault for the Outlook issues.

The usual swag of monthly updates arrived today, and I downloaded what I wanted, installed and did the usual reboot. Went to open outlook and the start page came up for about 10 secs and immediately shut down. Tried a few more times with the same result. Rebooted again, no change. Obviously was working before I installed the updates, so did a system restore and back to normal, so at least for my version of Office 2010 there was a bug that junked my outlook starting up.

I have the 64-bit version of Office 2010 on Win7 only and that KB3097877 installed and no problem with it. I use the free AVG antivirus program and it scanned the messages without problem.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"

After installing the 32 offered updates early this morning my Outlook 2010 is also unstable. I am running Windows 7 64 bit with Office 2010 32 bit. KB3097877 was among the hotfixes I installed.

Outlook seems to crash when certain emails appear in the preview pane. Notably, all of the daily balance reports I have been receiving from Citibank for the last decade cause it to crash. Some other emails also cause a crash. It seems to have to do with graphic content in the email.

As a workaround I substituted a new icon on the desktop which starts Outlook.exe with the /nopreview switch. Without the preview pane Outlook does not crash as much.

My command line now reads
      “C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft OfficeOffice15OUTLOOK.EXE” /nopreview

Maybe the boys from Redmond will fix this soon, I hope.

Paul_L

There is a lot of news about this on windows 7 forums. Lots of people having all sorts of issues with this KB3097877 update, or should I say “downdate”!!

I experienced the Outlook problems described above. Removing KB3097877 fixed the problem but if I restart the computer, KB3097877 is automatically reinstalled. Does anyone know how to hide this update? Windows 7 Pro.

I just ran a search for available updates manually and found that 3097877 was offered again.

I installed it and Outlook seems to be functioning normally when viewing html emails. I have switched back to starting Outlook normally.

I just ran a search for available updates manually and found that 3097877 was offered again.

I installed it and Outlook seems to be functioning normally when viewing html emails. I have switched back to starting Outlook normally.

You are a gamer man than this little black duck.:rolleyes:

I do have updates installed automatically. I think that I’ll go ahead and reinstall KB3097877 and see if Microsoft has fixed it.

I’d still be interested to see if there is a way to stop a specific update from being installed while still allowing automatic updates.

There’s been a new version of the update up for some hours already, I’ve been wary of advertising it too soon, I’d prefer to wait a few days and then check for news on how imperceptible it is 🙂

I notice that MS is offering this to me as well, I have opted to hide this one for the time being. I am very gun-shy about this particular KB considering the mess it originally made.

My problem with the Outlook in question, Win 7 64, is that it works ok until I delete certain items in the email list. It’s been having this problem all day. And yeah, I update automatically at shutdown , which was about 1 am this morning. (I.e., last night.) I will ask for the new update and see if that fixes the problem. Will report back.

The Outlook problem reported earlier seems to be quelled after re-dating the KB3097877 update.
        Unless, of course, it only has a problem with deleting one specific email, which I didn’t rediscover on my test. hopefully, all is well, again.

My problem with the Outlook in question, Win 7 64, is that it works ok until I delete certain items in the email list. It’s been having this problem all day. And yeah, I update automatically at shutdown , which was about 1 am this morning. (I.e., last night.) I will ask for the new update and see if that fixes the problem. Will report back.
      New updates are installing, 1 of 2. Now completed. Must restart.
      I failed to mention that when it fails, Outlook crashes and restarts.
      then is worked ok and deleted ok until I got down the page, where it crashed again.
      Will report back after restart and test.

There was a patched KB released somewhere over 13 hours ago now (see my previous post above) and the Bulletin revised. This should be (re) offered next time you visit WU.

Satrow, are you saying that MS have fixed the problems associated with this KB? I would like to see some sort of confirmation if this is the case. At present I am treating this KB like the plague.Sorry if I am cynical, but having been bitten I do not feel like repeating the experience soon.

Yes, the newly patched KB dealt with the Outlook (probably most of the other issues as well) glitches, they’ve yet to acknowledge that it affected anything else.

I had this problem after this week’s earlier updates, but without the KB in question. My Outlook 2010 worked OK otherwise, but crashed whenever I tried to download any content marked as pictures. This morning I applied the KB3097877. Now the problem is gone.

Reinstalling KB3097877 appears to have solved the issues that I had with Outlook. Windows 7 Pro and Office 2010.

Viewing 13 reply threads
    Reply To: Today’s updates crash Outlook 2010

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: