News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• “Topic replies” counter inaccurate

Home » Forums » AskWoody Central » Suggestions about improving the Lounge » “Topic replies” counter inaccurate

Author
    Topic

This morning I refreshed Woody’s home page to see the new posts and topics. The topic “DRM Converter problems” caught my eye, so I right-clicked on it to open in a new browser tab.

It was a brief though interesting discussion, but I noticed that while the line above the first post that gives the number of replies said there was 1 reply, the thread actually had 2 replies at the time, for a total of 3 posts. Fortunately, the thread was short enough to show in a single screenshot:

Woody-wrong-post-count

I then went to a thread I’d left open overnight, “Patch Lady – Office 365 ATP this shouldn’t be missed“. Before refreshing the page, I took note of the number of replies (7). After refreshing, the count went up to 8, meaning there would be a total of 9 posts (the thread started and 8 replies). Except that there was a total of 10 posts, including 9 replies.

One of the new posts in the Patch Lady thread was from an anonymous guest. Hmm… so I returned to the DRM thread–and, as it turns out one of the posts there is from an anonymous guest. Could it be that the post counter is missing anonymous posts, or at least new anonymous posts?

My guess is that the changes recently made to the inner workings of the forum software (as discussed here) have somehow messed up the post counter, such that anonymous posters don’t get counted. What is not a guess is that the post counter is no longer working properly.

While cramming text lines together may affect readability for some people but not bother others, getting the post count wrong indicates that something is objectively broken.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Cybertooth.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Cybertooth.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

There may be changes going on under the hood. Profile information looks different.

On Hiatus {with backup and coffee}
      offline▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.572 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox83.0b3 WindowsDefender TRV=1909 WuMgr
      offline▸ Win10Pro 20H2.19042.685 x86 Atom N270 RAM2GB HDD WindowsDefender WuMgr GuineaPigVariant
      online▸ Win10Pro 20H2.19042.804 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox86.0 WindowsDefender TRV=20H2 WuMgr

The most entertaining was the  “0 voices 1 post” I noticed March 25th.  🙂

Win 10 home - 21H1
      Attitude is a choice...Choose wisely

2 users thanked author for this post.

Comments are also disappearing with great rapidity, after one makes one correction and posts it again. This has happened to me twice today and once to another lounger I was replying to with one of mine. PK restored all three and explained that if one posts a comment and then starts correcting it too soon, the software that manages the forums “thinks” one is making multiple postings fast, marks the comment as “spam” and deletes it, and as I have also found out, keeps on deleting it whenever it shows up again, if someone tries to post it once more.

This started to happen, that I’ve noticed, two days ago. It did not happen before that, again, at least that I’ve noticed. It looks like something may not be OK, right now, with the software in question.

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Big Sur 11.6 & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
      Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
      Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome. also Intego AV and Malwarebytes for the Mac.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: “Topic replies” counter inaccurate

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.