News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Tot App Makes for Quick Notetaking

Posted on Nathan Parker Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Non-Windows operating systems macOS Tot App Makes for Quick Notetaking

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I generally store my notes in macOS/iOS Notes, and I finally recently split up my to-do lists into macOS/iOS Reminders. I manage my writing projects in Ulysses or Scrivener (depending on the type of project).

However, there are times when I need to quickly jot down notes, especially when in the middle of a phone call. Sometimes I’ll jot the notes into macOS/iOS Notes or sometimes I’ll jot them into Ulysses, but then I’ll have to go and cleanup my notes afterward. At times I’ll create a new note for what I need to jot down and need to delete the note, but usually I’ll be in such a hurry where the text will get mixed in with another note, and I’ll need to cleanup the note when I’m finished.

So this week when I read about Tot in the Mac news, I wanted to take it for a spin. On the Mac (Mojave or later) it’s a free app, but on iOS/iPadOS, it’s $20. I’m trying the Mac app now, and I’ll see if I want to carry it over to my iPhone and iPad (everything syncs over iCloud).

It has a simple interface (it can be run from the Dock or Menu Bar). A series of dots across the top allow one to deposit text in a handful of notes. I even have mine set to summon using a keystroke. It can accept plain text, some rich text, and markdown formatting.

I’ll be using it more as I work over the next couple of weeks to jot down quick notes, but so far, it looks like a handy little tool for quick notetaking versus the clunkier methods I’ve been using.

Nathan Parker

• #2177936 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Nathan, thank you for suggesting those applications I had not heard of until now; I’ll look into them.

At the moment, in the Mac, from the command line I use “vi”; when using the GUI, “Text.”

When writing code I use “vi”, as well as for notes; just for notes I use both. Some of the notes can be short, some very long and detailed.  My only issue with “Text” is that it does not seem to have, unlike “vi”, an option to find out the row and column number of a character. If it had that as well, I would be entirely happy with these two applications and ask for nothing else.

I also use “Word” to prepare reports and papers for publication and other documents that have to be in a more complicated and, or specific format unlike that of my own notes or code.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2177958 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

I’ve used vi on the command line before as well. Been a while, but it is good.

I used to use TextEdit for quick notes on the Mac, but it can be clunky to work with for quick notes.

I think BBEdit (even just the free edition) has the numbers of the characters. I can’t remember if it does or not. It is a powerful editor I use for working with HTML code before folding it into websites. I have the full edition and haven’t scratched the surface of what it can do. I need to do a review on it one week soon.

Nathan Parker

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Tot App Makes for Quick Notetaking

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.