News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Transferring photos from Google Photos to OneDrive

Posted on joefried Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Microsoft Office by version Office 365 and Click-to-Run Transferring photos from Google Photos to OneDrive

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        joefried
        AskWoody Lounger

I’ve bought Microsoft Office mainly for the storage space for my family, but now have the large task of transferring hundreds/thousands of photos from Google Photos to OneDrive.

What’s the best way to do this?

Many thanks,
        Joe

access-mdb
        AskWoody MVP

To save files in OneDrive they have to be in your OneDrive folder e.g. C:\Users\username\OneDrive\. The exact  folder name will depend on where your OneDrive folder is e.g. mine is at E:\myname\OneDrive\. So you need to copy or move your photos to e.g. C:\Users\username\OneDrive\pictures\

I would suggest you copy rather than move then you can delete them once you’re happy they’ve been successfully uploaded to the cloud. Precisely how is determined by your upload speed. I would suggest copying one folder at a time and waiting till it’s been uploaded. You should do this to begin with and as you get more familiar with how long it takes, you could copy more at one sitting. Obviously having a .5Megbits per second will be a lost slower than having 10Mbits per second! I did this when I moved to using OneDrive and my photos take up over 100Gb. It took a while but wasn’t onerous. Of course you will need to replace all your jumplists but this doesn’t really take long either.

Others may have different suggestions.

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

I’ll note that there apparently is a direct path but I wouldn’t know if it’s any good. I don’t use Google Photos anyway. (The reasons are another thing entirely but for this case it’s way too late to go into that anyway…)

Over in https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/3024190 “How to download your Google data”, there’s an option to let Google upload directly to Microsoft OneDrive.

Then there’s https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/9666875 “Copy your photos to a service outside of Google” … and Microsoft OneDrive is listed as a possible target service.

I get the idea that the former might push a single .zip file but the latter might transfer individual image files?

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

https://www.multcloud.com/tutorials/sync-google-photos-with-onedrive-6289.html#:~:text=Step%201%3A%20Go%20to%20the%20official%20site%20of%20Google%20Takeout,on%20%22Next%20step%22%20button.&text=Step%203%3A%20Select%20%22Add%20to,account%20and%20create%20archive%22%20icon.

Use Google Takeout

Google Takeout, also called “Download your data”, is a project that allows users of Google products to export their data from Google Photos, Google Keep, YouTube, Google Map, etc to an archive file so that users can transfer data to local PC, Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive or Box. You can also backup Google Photos to OneDrive in this way….

1 user thanked author for this post.
          mn–
          AskWoody Lounger

… I actually tested this, uploaded into Google Photos a couple dozen photos scanned from film a few years back, and did the “takeout” process to get them into Microsoft OneDrive.

Seemed to work, arrived as individual files. Didn’t get to choose which OneDrive folder they went into, though.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Transferring photos from Google Photos to OneDrive

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.