News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Tried it all, but can’t get to 2004?

Posted on charleyrich Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 2004 – May 2020 Update Tried it all, but can’t get to 2004?

• This topic has 20 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        charleyrich
        AskWoody Lounger

I am running Win 10 version 1909 and have been unable to update to 2004.

I tried all the suggestions on the Web that I saw including starting with a clean boot, disconnecting all peripherals except a monitor, mouse and keyboard. I’ve run sfc and DISM…

I get through the upgrade and then it rolls back to 1909.  I went through the logs in the Diagnostic Data Viewer and the results log says it didn’t match any specific error.

This is a new PC with i7 9th gen CPU and an Asus Prime 370 A II motherboard with 32 GB ram.

I also tried Windows 2020, all with the same results. Any suggestions on what I can do other than reformat and start from scratch?

Thanks,
        Charley

• #2306695 Reply
        Zig
        AskWoody Plus

Charley,

?Have you tried installing from a 2004 installation .iso burned to a USB thumbdrive?

Zig

• #2306696 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Here are a few tracks to follow:

Is there an error code in Windows Update\View update History?
        Have you ever installed/are you using a third-party update blocker?
        What anti-virus/antimalware software are you running? Have you tried turning it off?
        Are you running Win10 Pro? If so, do you have any GUI settings or Group Policy settings related to Windows Update?
        Have you looked in Device Manager to see if there is any hardware with a warning symbol?

Look through the MS documentation of Known Issues for v2004 and see if any match your situation.

• #2306701 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Have you tried the Update Troubleshooter?
        Settings App\Update & Security\Troubleshoot

• #2306704 Reply
          charleyrich
          AskWoody Lounger

I am running Win 10 Home version 1909

There are no error codes in Windows Update history.

Device Manager has no errors

I use the built in Windows Defender and not a 3rd party virus tool

No 3rd party update blockers.

I went through the microsoft doc on known issues and none of them matched.

I have the latest Intel drivers and the very latest BIOS from Asus.

Update troubleshooter repeatedly gives me sort of an error.  It says BITS was already running:

Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. System.Management.Automation.RemoteException More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182. System.Management.Automation.RemoteException

I tried stopping the BITS service so the troubleshooter could start it, but it made no difference.

I have not tried a USB.  How big would it need to be?  I think mine are all relatively small.

–Charley

• #2306718 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

You can download the MS Windows ISO Download Tool from Heidoc.net.
        Place it on your desktop and run it.
        Download the latest (dated) 2004 ISO for Win10 Home and your bittage.
        The ISO will do an in-place upgrade giving you three choices – save your apps and data, save only your data (you will have to reinstall any third-party applications), or save nothing (clean install)

You can use the ISO two ways:
        + You can create bootable install media, either burning the ISO to a DVD or a bootable USB. (An 8GB or 16GB USB is good, you can use Rufus to create bootable media which works the same way as the DVD). Insert the media into your running PC and execute setup.exe.
        OR
        + You can place the .ISO file on your desktop, right click on it and choose “open with” File Explorer. It will appear as another drive letter in Explorer. Navigate to the drive and run setup.exe

You should do the in-place upgrade OFFLINE, disconnected from your network. If you do it online, it will upgrade you to the latest version 20H2 in the process of the upgrade. Answer NO to go online and get updates when asked.
        After the upgrade completes, you should go through the Settings App BEFORE you connect to the network and be sure your settings are to your liking – particularly the settings for Windows Update, so you son’t get bombed with 20H2 when you connect to the Internet. You can do any updates in the normal way you do updates after connecting.

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2306721 Reply
        charleyrich
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks. I will try what you suggest.  Should I go through the exercise of disconnecting all peripherals again?

• #2306733 Reply
          charleyrich
          AskWoody Lounger

I tried the suggested offline install.  But, it also rolled back.

The error message dialog box shown said:

We couldn’t install Windows 10

We’ve set up your PC the way it was…

OxC1900101 – 0x40017

The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation

• #2306751 Reply
            PKCano
            Da Boss

I’m grasping at straws. The error code points to drivers.

But, take a look and see where this setting stands.
            Settings App\Update & Security\Windows Security\Device Security\
            Core isolation details

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4551203/updating-to-windows-10-version-2004-on-devices-with-hypervisor-protect

• #2306856 Reply
              charleyrich
              AskWoody Lounger

I don’t seem to have a setting for core isolation.  When I go to :

Settings App\Update & Security\Windows Security\Device Security

I see this:  Standard hardware security not supported.  Your device does not meet the requirements for standard hardware security.

So, I am assuming core isolation is not an option for my motherboard, an Asus Prime 370 A II

• #2306859 Reply
                PKCano
                Da Boss

The error points to a driver problem. I suspect an undocumented block by MS (see posts by @Microfix and @Alex5723 ). I would leave it on v1909 for now, as it is more stable anyway and supported till May 2021. Give it more time as long as you are getting the monthly updates for v1909.
                I have t agree with @Microfix about not trying to unblock it.

1 user thanked author for this post.
              • #2306925 Reply
                Bob99
                AskWoody Plus

I have core isolation available. It’s listed immediately under the window’s title that says “Device security” at the very top of the window. Below the Core Isolation info and setting changer (click the blue colored text) are the words “Standard hardware security not supported” on my copy of Windows Security’s pages. I’m running Win 10 Pro x64 version 2004.

From the info I can find about your motherboard from Asus’ site, your board is as new as mine (which is from Gigabyte), supporting the same generations of Intel chips and having the same Intel socket for the CPU. I have an Intel Core i5-9500 processor, the same generation as yours.

The only reasons I can think of that you might not be seeing the option for Core Isolation is that either Windows 10 Home doesn’t support it for some reason or, as you’ve mentioned in your post above, that your motherboard and/or BIOS doesn’t support it for some reason.

Not too sure why your motherboard wouldn’t support it however, as your motherboard is as new as mine, but with a different chipset on it. You have the Intel Z370 chipset, whereas I have the Intel B365 chipset.

It’s my belief that you should still at least have the option to either enable or disable what looks to me like a key feature of Windows Security’s installation.

On a serious note, perhaps you’ve found an actual bug in Windows Security that needs to be patched!

Ok, that’s enough about this as I seem to be getting off-topic for this thread. If you’d like to pursue the actual issue of not having core isolation available, feel free to start another thread, referencing your post(s) above about core isolation to get the thread started.

R/

Bob99

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Bob99. Reason: Typo corrections
          • #2306821 Reply
            Microfix
            AskWoody MVP

@Charleyrich, Do you have any of the October patches installed for v1909? If so, which ones?
            A hardware block if non-approved drivers may exist that prevents upgrades.
            I wouldn’t go for the registry hack to unblock the block, as this may introduce trouble later on..
            Check your devices to see if there are updates issued by the OEM manufacturer (Asus) and update accordingly. (save the downloads somewhere safe for future use) Let us know if there are any please.

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
            • #2306858 Reply
              charleyrich
              AskWoody Lounger

The October patches installed on my PC are:

KB 4580980, 4577670,4521863, 4513661, 4517245

• #2306864 Reply
                PKCano
                Da Boss

Please review your updates.
                KB4577671 is the October 2020-10 Cumulative and KB4580386 is the 2020-10 Preview CU. I don’t see either one of those listed.

Also, in the taskbar search box type winver and press enter.
                Tell up your version and Build (the Build should be something like 18363.nnnn).

• #2306879 Reply
                charleyrich
                AskWoody Lounger

Winver

Version 1909 OS Build 18363.1139

• #2306880 Reply
                charleyrich
                AskWoody Lounger

Winver

Version 1909 OS Build 18363.1139

KB4577671 is installed but not KB4580386

• #2306887 Reply
                PKCano
                Da Boss

Then my advice is in #2306859.
                I would give it till the first of the year then take another look at it. v1909 is stable and there are still a lot of problems with v2004. You seem to be getting monthly updates without any problem. There is no rush. Let’s revisit this early in 2021. Maybe MS will have worked out some problems.

+ Check the Asus website and be sure you have the latest drivers for your model’s hardware. MS is doubling down on up-to-date drivers.
                + Be sure you make full image backups at least once a month, before Patch Tuesday.
                * Hang on to the ISO you downloaded for future use.

• #2306798 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I tried the suggested offline install.  But, it also rolled back.

The error message dialog box shown said:

We couldn’t install Windows 10

We’ve set up your PC the way it was…

OxC1900101 – 0x40017

The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation

Microsoft has blocks on feature updates not listed in known issues.
        On a Pro Windows 10 you can unblock Microsoft’s blocks. Probably can be done on a Home version via registry hack.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Alex5723.
        • #2306929 Reply
          charleyrich
          AskWoody Lounger

Thanks to everyone for the help.  I will take the advice and see what comes in 2021.

–Charley

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Tried it all, but can’t get to 2004?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.