News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Trouble updating Google Chrome

• This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 months ago.
    Author
    Topic

The latest stable version of chrome for Windows was released yesterday (91.0.4472.124) but for some reason I can’t update off of version 91.0.4472.114.

Chrome is also still shown as up to date if I run the safety check in the settings as well.

Has anyone else had problems with this update?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Author
    Replies

Hello not an answer; just a feedback, but my Win7 Pro updated to 91.0.4472.124 on 25JUN, but Win 8.1 says Ver. 91.0.4472.114 (Official Build) (64-bit) is up to date for some reason. Will keep checking About Google Chrome then…

My Windows 7 was having the same experience as your Win 8.1.

I finally got impatient and just installed chrome again on top of my current install to bring it up to date.

Whatever the problem is, it must not be that widespread, I havent seen anyone talking about it

Yes, actually one day and it won’t fix itself – Will need to reinstall it it seems, as would most non-updatable ones on their pc.
          I have just downloaded a chrome installer and was also thinking of just installing it over the running one. Think i did that once before and it was alright, thank you.

Happy to help.

I’ve installed a new Chrome over the running one a couple times and never had any problems yet.

For a variety of reasons, I use Chrome portable, which I originally downloaded here:
      https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/google_chrome_portable

I periodically check for updates here:
      https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ncas/current-activity
      They’re usually on top of things, but as of this evening (25 June), for some reason, they still don’t have 91.0.4472.124.

I then went to my “update” source:
      https://www.neowin.net/news/google-chrome-9104472124-offline-installer/

There I found the latest version, did my little update routine, and in two minutes, I was good to go.

Just to “head ’em off at the pass”, yes, I trust these two sources. In fact – in the overall scope of things – I trust them much more than I trust Alphabet/Google.

By the way, the “Offline Installer” solution doesn’t permit updating from within Chrome. The “*.*_chrome_installer.exe” file only contains the “Chrome-bin” folder; you have to delete the old one manually.

If it’s of any interest, my main browser is Pale Moon. I only keep Chrome on my machine for those rare cases when Pale Moon chokes on some weird type of javascript, which occurs once every two or three months.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Reply To: Trouble updating Google Chrome

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.